Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
1jz destroyer
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a new water pump, thermostat ,koyo stock style radiator ,and hoses as well as a derale electric fan . and on the freeway on my way home from work its been running hotter almost everyday for the last week.
today it got to about 225 degrees f. it waas running at around 195 for the entire time ive had this setup. anybody else experience this kind of thing ?? i have searched and got only info to replace my fully functioning parts.
i am also running a holset hx35w now and im wondering if mabey its just some crazy heatsoak ??? wondering how to keep it cool cuz its not even nice spring weather here in michigan yet.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Is it a single electric fan? You arent going to wanna hear this, but the single electric fans just dont push enough air. I went through a bunch of electric setups and nothing could properly cool the engine, especially if i kept it under boost for a little while.

However if the setup was working previously, start by burping the coolant system to get rid of any air. then start hunting for a pressure leak. If your cooling system isnt holding pressure, then the boiling point of the coolant drops and the electrioc fan (which flows half as much as the stock hydro fan) can no longer cool enough.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
perf0rmance said:
back flush your system.

-joseph
Heh... I remember when we did that to performance's car... the amount of CRAP that came out was discusting. it was HORRIBLE

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
Even with an E fan, should it really be overheating just driving normally?

With my stock 1j radiator and fan on low mode the temp never goes over 200 degrees.

So I think there may be other issues at play.

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
Ckanderson said:
Heh... I remember when we did that to performance's car... the amount of CRAP that came out was discusting. it was HORRIBLE
:D

It wasn't CRAP, it was JDM radiator fluid.

-Joseph

BTW, I'm running an electric fan too, w/ no problems.

·
Banned
64 Posts
we used 2 electric fans one on each side. we have bigger turbo upgrades and the owner of the car is always on boost. so i think the setup we have will work nice. we have the stock radiator that came with the clip.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,150 Posts
The fan on the font is bad and will block air flow to the rad on highway speeds... The fan IS NOT needed on highway pulls. There should be enough air form you moving to cool it.

I have dual talon fans on my 7m Rad and have no problmes even when i had my sp63 on.

Check burp system check themostat.

·
Newbe....I know nothing!
1,853 Posts
I have twin SPAL E fans on my car and have not had a problem at all with over heating. The SPAL fans flow 2800cfm or somthing but there very $$$.

Jeremy

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
claytonio disastro said:
say about that back flushing... is there a coolant drain plug on the block? or can you only drain from the radiator?
There's a kit that you buy and install a t-pipe into one of your radiator hose near the firewall. There is no plug that I'm familiar with that's on the block. Keep every plug closed and open the radiator cap.

Basically you attach a garden hose to your back-flush kit and let the flushing begin.

-Joseph

1 - 20 of 20 Posts