Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed many references to the MKIV alternator being a direct swap into the 1JZ. It isn't really a direct swap since the plugs on the alternator are different. I accidentally broke my alternator playing around with it (don't ask), so I did a little research on a replacement. Oddly enough, the alternator from a 1992-1994 SC300 only, not 400, is a direct replacement for the 1JZ. It's a perfect fit, and the plugs are identical, so there's no cutting involved. Just plug and play. The best part? The SC300 alternator is a 110 amp alternator. Oh and another great part? I paid $130 with tax for it, lifetime warranty from Lexus. How about that? Funny that the Lexus part ended up being cheaper than the Toyota part. Anyhow, I thought I'd pass along my experience in finding a direct swap for the 1JZ alternator.

- Hams.

·
Pays Cash, No Questions
2,306 Posts
HAM with the 1JZ tech! You need to write a book about the idiosyncracies of that motor, especially after Larry called you to ask for help on one of their cars...! :wtflol:

Reactions: HamsMKIV

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I want to know how you figured that one out!

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
Ahh very nice find! was that with a employee discount? or normal retail?

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was screwing around and found an alternator company who claims to rebuild any alternator. I gave them the Nippon-Denso part number for the 1JZ alternator, and the 92-94 model SC300 is a match.

Of course everyone knows that the MKIV alternator bolts up, but its plug is different. The SC300's is identical to ours. Pretty cool.

- Hams.

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
sweeeeeeeeeet!! thank you man! i think my alt. is starting to sound like a turbo now, has a nice whine to it...time to get a new one! :)

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
perf0rmance said:
I suppose it makes sense too right?

soarer...TT supra....same years.

-joseph

Ahah.... That's a good point I hadn't thought of...

- Hams.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Chris, you must have pictures on the parts guy. I called the only Lexus dealer in this area and was quoted $385. I can get it from Advance for $180, so I think I will go that way...

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Marty1MC said:
Chris, you must have pictures on the parts guy. I called the only Lexus dealer in this area and was quoted $385. I can get it from Advance for $180, so I think I will go that way...

I do a LOT of business with my local Toyota/Lexus dealer. They give me a discount because I've spent over 8K with them this year alone. I didn't realize they gave me that steep of a discount though... Dang....

- Hams.

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wanted to verify to everyone that the 92-94 SC300 alternator is INDEED a direct replacement. My alternator came intoday and I installed it. It is noticeably larger than the 1JZ alternator sitting side by side. This is a 110 amp alternator btw. The plug on the back is identical to the 1JZ alt so you do not need to change plugs out. Anyhow, here is a picture to show you that it's a great fit:

- Hams.

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
I was just online ordering mine yesterday.. Only thing is the place I ordered listed it as 100a.. who knows. Great find for sure! The pulley is even the same right?

Hey that little clip just northwest of your alternator there, that is for the hydro fan actuator right? Just wondering, mine dangles like that and its been a while since I have seen a 1J with the hyrdo's installed.

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MattOneDime said:
I was just online ordering mine yesterday.. Only thing is the place I ordered listed it as 100a.. who knows. Great find for sure! The pulley is even the same right?

Hey that little clip just northwest of your alternator there, that is for the hydro fan actuator right? Just wondering, mine dangles like that and its been a while since I have seen a 1J with the hyrdo's installed.
Yeah it's the hydro clip. I need to take it off. I run a Koyo and Fal's.

- Hams.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
doesn't the sc300 have the NA 2JZ? Would it be the same as a NA MKIV or IS300?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts