Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
slower than a turtle
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been involved in my local autocross since i had my lisence. ive been competing quite well but i want more power and i know my NA isnt going to give it to me. the 7mgtes seem to have occasional cases of oil starvation and dont seem to like high rpms to much. i was wondering on your alls opinions on useing a 1jz swaped car for autocross. the main problems i can think of would be the fact if it did break parts arnt exactly everywhere. the one thing i will say before you all think about it when i had the motor before i swapped it in i woudl replace the mains and rod bearings and do the other maintance tasks.

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
thats pretty much the best application for them. A good flat torque and hp curve, and loves high rpms. The 7m and 2j are more for drag and have a lot of torque, but the 1j's are better for street driving.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The 1j would probably make a great motor for auto cross. the power band is amazing and very smooth. Holding it at higher rpms does not seem to bother it.

And finding parts is not that difficult. Mostly everything can be obtained in the states or is universal with the 2j.

Most clips come with 30k to 80k miles; I wouldn’t see any reason to change out the mains and rod bearings. Most likely you would no need to do that for miles down the road.

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
only problem with auto Xing the 1j in a mkiii is weight...have fun handling that thing around the turns!! but the power of the 1j shuld make up for it ;)

·
slower than a turtle
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea alot of people are like man your car weighs so much. but on lose pavement which is what we are on down here im fighting for every ounce of traction i can get. if i swap it throws me into sm or sm2 which would be hard to be competitive in or i could jump to emod which is what i would probably do. i was reading into things and the 1jz seems more mechanically sound so i was just thinking i could kill two birds with one stone. good reliable motor and a quick(er) car.

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
JonnyRedline said:
only problem with auto Xing the 1j in a mkiii is weight...have fun handling that thing around the turns!! but the power of the 1j shuld make up for it ;)
make up for the added weight with hitting the gym or taking your subs out or something. How much heavier is it than the 7m?

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
hoser813 said:
thats pretty much the best application for them. A good flat torque and hp curve, and loves high rpms. The 7m and 2j are more for drag and have a lot of torque, but the 1j's are better for street driving.
heh really?

so why is it that my friends 280 hp 1JZ pulled another friend's 300hp 7M on the freeway? :dunno: must be that lack of torque :eek:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey guys I regularly autox my JZA70.. The motor is amazing out there. Perfectly smooth powerband... High revs.. Pure sex.

There is another local member who is more competetive than I racing a JZA70, and he finishes in the top 3 most of the time. (This is is Street Modified, which is a pretty competetive class.)

At my last autox event, I let an instructor drive my car. He asked if there was anything he needed to know about the car before he took it out. I told him that the car was twin turbo swapped, and had terrible tires. He took the car out, and ran a very respectable time with it. When we got back, I asked him what he thought about the car. The instructor (a seasoned autox veteran) was blown away. He said it was one of the most fun cars he's ever driven out there, and couldnt believe how smooth and high revving it was.

All in all, I think the JZA70 is an awesome autox car. :)

·
slower than a turtle
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you strip most of the stuff out of the car when you go autocrossing and unfortunatly i weigh in at 120 so if i lose any more ill die. but weigh isnt really that big of a factor in autocrossing the cars dont get above 70 miles per hour. its a solo2 class. so its mainly driver grip and power and my rod knocking hg blown 7mge isnt helping me lol

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
haha your only 120, im 115 and 5ft 4 :lol: and i still look skinny, but most of its muscle :p lol rod knocking bhg, 7mge, :S wouldnt that be pretty damn slow? or is it still fine?

·
Thinking Person
1,533 Posts
supraguru05 said:
unfortunatly i weigh in at 120 so if i lose any more ill die
:wtflol:

I used to weigh 120lbs when I was about 21... at 6' 1... I was super skinny.
Now after alot of gym work I am 170... I cant see myself losing weight just to save a few precious hundreths of a second ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
you guyz make me so excited wheni think of getting a jz in my supra....as far as the 2j vs the 1j would a mkiii with a 2j be that much faster than an mkiii with a 1j?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts