Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do the 1jz's have the same problem with BHG as the 7m's do? i don't want to buy a mk3 just for the hg to go every 2 motnhs :rolleyes: Also how long do the HKS hg's last? i heard that they're really strong.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
No they don't.

And a properly prepped 7M won't blow it's headgasket. Mine blew once in 17 years, that's hardly every 2 months. (Now it has an HKS MHG... :) -- has had it for 3 years now).

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
No. There was like 1 recall for a valve on the intake (more info in the 1jz subsection) that affected early versions, but aside from that it's a pretty bulletproof platform.

But the 7m doesn't have BHG problems once fixed ;)

edit: Blast too slow!

·
Registered
391 Posts
CryoSLaSH said:
Are all 7m's that bad? even the 7m-ge's? No boost= better for hg? right? right? hehe
what's up with the 7M hating? lol jk jk

Andriy

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
CryoSLaSH said:
Are all 7m's that bad? even the 7m-ge's? No boost= better for hg? right? right? hehe
Some 7m's will blow their HG at 20k and some at 200k, or somewhere inbetween. It really depends on how the car was driven. Put a MHG in, and do the job right and you won't have a problem with it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trowa said:
what's up with the 7M hating? lol jk jk

Andriy
no hating only loving. i just want to see whats better financiallly. Buying a running supra and rebuilding the engin and replacing wiht better parts or buying a shell and 1jzing the bastard. heheh
oh does anyone know how to replace the hg by themselves/ if this happens to me i want to be prepped :D

·
SupraStore.com
2,134 Posts
Its not so much that it came with a MHG as it is correctly torqued down from the factory. The 7M's HG is okay, just not torqued down enough.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
58 is plenty, most cars don't use more, it's a combination of design and torque IMO. The design of the 7M requires a higher than normal torque in order to prevent BHG's, I don't know why this is, and apparently Toyota didn't know either. There are plenty of other cars that use the same or lower torque on the head and they have none of the related issues.

Anyone know the torque specs for the 1JZ-GTE and 2JZ-GTE? I'm just curious what they are now.

·
supra crazzzy
585 Posts
yeah I think a stock headgaskt if torqued down right can go for quite awhile even if u up the boost a little too

my n/a lost its head gasket at 170,000km i dunno what and how it was rebuilt the owner before me did it all

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
yeah, after a mhg thats been properly torqued down with arp's it should be fine for along time. its not the engine that makes it get a bhg, it was that it wasnt torqued down enough. 1jz's dont have problems wiht bhg's because stock they came with mhg too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts