Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
8,964 Posts
No they don't.

And a properly prepped 7M won't blow it's headgasket. Mine blew once in 17 years, that's hardly every 2 months. (Now it has an HKS MHG... :) -- has had it for 3 years now).

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
No. There was like 1 recall for a valve on the intake (more info in the 1jz subsection) that affected early versions, but aside from that it's a pretty bulletproof platform.

But the 7m doesn't have BHG problems once fixed ;)

edit: Blast too slow!

·
I have auto ADD.
7,991 Posts
CryoSLaSH said:
Are all 7m's that bad? even the 7m-ge's? No boost= better for hg? right? right? hehe
Some 7m's will blow their HG at 20k and some at 200k, or somewhere inbetween. It really depends on how the car was driven. Put a MHG in, and do the job right and you won't have a problem with it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trowa said:
what's up with the 7M hating? lol jk jk

Andriy
no hating only loving. i just want to see whats better financiallly. Buying a running supra and rebuilding the engin and replacing wiht better parts or buying a shell and 1jzing the bastard. heheh
oh does anyone know how to replace the hg by themselves/ if this happens to me i want to be prepped :D

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
8,964 Posts
58 is plenty, most cars don't use more, it's a combination of design and torque IMO. The design of the 7M requires a higher than normal torque in order to prevent BHG's, I don't know why this is, and apparently Toyota didn't know either. There are plenty of other cars that use the same or lower torque on the head and they have none of the related issues.

Anyone know the torque specs for the 1JZ-GTE and 2JZ-GTE? I'm just curious what they are now.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
yeah, after a mhg thats been properly torqued down with arp's it should be fine for along time. its not the engine that makes it get a bhg, it was that it wasnt torqued down enough. 1jz's dont have problems wiht bhg's because stock they came with mhg too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.