Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1JZ failed emissions for the second time in NJ. Here are the readings.

1st inspection.
NOx - 2437 - need to be 1146 or lower
HC - 190 - need to be 152 or lower
CO% - .81 need to be .86 (PASS)

I changed the Cat converter, put new plugs in and leaned out the GCC up to 3500RPM and took the car back to inspection. (the car has the FCon, GCC, 440's, the 2J map sensor and a single turbo set-up)

Here are the second readings:
NOx - 1455
HC - 144 PASS
CO% - .73 PASS

What else can I do to bring the NOx reading below 1146 without affecting the other readings negatively?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,614 Posts
why not just find a gas station to pass you??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,394 Posts
Where in Jersey you located?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,418 Posts
you only failed on nox, that's good. nox is your exhaust gas temperatures. you can drop them by running high octane gas, and if you can, retard you timing about 5 degrees.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,394 Posts
too far for me to help you out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
Get yourself some ethyl alcohol and dump it in your tank. This is ethanol. You could even buy 70% ethyl rubbing alcohol(which is about 30% water). It will raise your octane, cause your motor to run cooler, and should lower egt's and therefore nox. And alcohol runs much cleaner than gas. It will lean out your mixture a little depending on how much you use.

You may just want to run it a while first cause it will probably clean some gunk out of your engine if you use enough. You don't want that at the emissions testing station obviously.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
923 Posts
5 gallons of 110 and a gallon of 99.8%+alcohol, passed 2 cars here in oregon with no cats or emissions equipment on. It works wonders. egr was also disabled. Ran cleaner than my friends 850 volvo turbo wagon :)
 

·
single 1j
Joined
·
456 Posts
airbats801 said:
5 gallons of 110 and a gallon of 99.8%+alcohol, passed 2 cars here in oregon with no cats or emissions equipment on. It works wonders. egr was also disabled. Ran cleaner than my friends 850 volvo turbo wagon :)
so its really possible to pass a smog check w/ that set up. my buddy told me about doing something like that w/ no cat and it'll pass, but i didn't believe him
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
923 Posts
slidingsidewayz said:
so its really possible to pass a smog check w/ that set up. my buddy told me about doing something like that w/ no cat and it'll pass, but i didn't believe him
My friend has passed 2 starions with this setup. Turbo back 3 inch exhaust, straight through, all emissions removed off the car, egr eliminated etc.. I believe he also retarded his timing a few degrees.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,275 Posts
try putting a stock cat in, a aftermarket cat wont help you and maybe the stock one will...
 

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
Joined
·
12,263 Posts
NOX is high because you need EGR thats why.

I could never pass with out EGR... it's VERY hard.
 
Joined
·
410 Posts
:nutkickhi

Freekin this mother f'n smog crap is pissing me way the F off. ok you wanna know how to get around this here easy!

simple barrow a friends supra same year make aproximatly swap vins and tags then re rivet every thing back when done for crying out load this smog crap sucks and i live in Ca and make sure the friends car is one of those sucky 7m n/a engines that will pass its good even to have friends in lower places.
 

·
Missing my supra
Joined
·
629 Posts
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE said:
:nutkickhi

Freekin this mother f'n smog crap is pissing me way the F off. ok you wanna know how to get around this here easy!

simple barrow a friends supra same year make aproximatly swap vins and tags then re rivet every thing back when done for crying out load this smog crap sucks and i live in Ca and make sure the friends car is one of those sucky 7m n/a engines that will pass its good even to have friends in lower places.

This 1j is in a Volvo...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,885 Posts
I'll also vouch for good gas + ethyl alcohol combo. Drive it empty and then put ~4 gallons of 101 and a half to a full gallon of rubbing alcohol and it'll pass with flying colors, no cats or anything.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top