Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had crazy cracks under my coilpacks, just replaced them with brand new denso coilpacks. The car is much much better, but when I hit ANY boost it will go full lean!

Stock 1jz non vvti, blitz air intake, blitz dual exhaust,
-aem wideband 30-4100
-ecu is mint, no leaks or bad caps, looks brand new!
-coilpack connector/clips are fine

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Fuel pressure or filter?

·
Super Moderator
9,926 Posts
It's uncommon but if it's a factory original fuel pump, that could be failing or there could be a bunch of junk/dirt/whatever in the fuel tank. I've seen some nasty old fuel tanks that had a bunch of crud in them now that these cars are getting old.
You should replace the fuel filter first and see if the behavior continues, though. If replacing the filter cures the issue, definitely check the tank and pump to make sure it's clean.

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
Verify the map sensor part number is for a 1J, and chech the vacuum hoses.

How lean is it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update guys: it leans out full lean under WOT!!! To verify this I put the car in a high gear at low speed (2k in 4th or 5th) and went WOT, the Afr reading will immediately go to full lean - - -, even if I press the throttle fully for just half a second and let off really quickly, the Afr will be full lean. It could be the map but could it also be the tps? Any other input/possibilities much appreciated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW I've done a compression test with 170 on 5 cylinders and 175 on one. The plugs are bkr7e gapped to .20 for diagnosing this misfire. The plugs are not dry or fouled they are normal

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
I'm just wondering if it's the right sensors, in the first place. Seems like the ECU doesn't know there's pressure in the manifold, and doesn't add more fuel.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys, wondering if bad ignition can cause plugs to go bad?? My plugs have been in there with the badly cracked coils for a while before I got new ones recently

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
It wouldn't explain lean conditions. Does the guage behave normally, otherwise? It doesn't go full lean during idle or normal cruising does it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While running:

Unplugged IACV - no change
Unplugged TPS - change
Unplugged all 6 coilpacks connectors one by one - change on all 6
Unplugged MAP - car died immediately
Unplugged o2 - big change lots of bogging

Any input please

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
This is an interesting issue. I suspect something is wired backwards. It could be the ECU, but they usually run rich when they go bad.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This motor isn't a swap, its the factory motor and ecu (jzz30 Toyota soarer). The ecu wires couldn't be wired wrong, all original factory harness.

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
If you haven't followed up with Wreckless' suggestion, you should.

I've just been offering alternatives because I figured you tried it already.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's uncommon but if it's a factory original fuel pump, that could be failing or there could be a bunch of junk/dirt/whatever in the fuel tank. I've seen some nasty old fuel tanks that had a bunch of crud in them now that these cars are getting old.
You should replace the fuel filter first and see if the behavior continues, though. If replacing the filter cures the issue, definitely check the tank and pump to make sure it's clean.
Wreckless, thank you for your knowledge! I pulled the fuel filter and out of it came dark brown liquid, there wasnt much big hard chunks or anything like that, but i think there may have been some tiny particles of some sort. I will be checking the fuel pump and fuel tank. I got a fuel filter from a local part store but it wasn't the right fit, made sure to note down the old filters part # before putting it back in as the new one didn't screw up to the 'out' side of the fuel line.

Knowing this now, is there anything else you can suggest?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts