Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Twin-Turbos 2X the Proble
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am sure everyone is sick of reading about 1jz swaps but I am just curious if anyone knows what the stock turbos will provide up too in boost? I am talking about the CT12a's I think they are called, also does anyone know what size injectors are on it? 440's or maybe 550's?

I'm gettin 1JZ fevor!

----------------------------------------------------
88 Supra Turbo

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am fairly certain that the max you'll get out of 12a's are 22 psi. I don't know where the specifics are, but they lose efficency there, so most guys keep them at 19-20 psi. As for the injectors, I know jspec 2jz's came with 430 cc, so I would assume the 1jz's are similar.

T
0 Posts
I was talking to Orin at the TX2K2 meet and he was unable to get his car there because of his injectors.

Stock injectors are 380cc's. He has a set of big Blitz turbos and was trying to do a swap to 550's to support it and was having trouble. But he did tell me the stockers are 380.

·
powered by
998 Posts
stockers are actually 370cc..You can wire in the mkiv 550's by adding a resistor in-a mk3 turbo one should work. The 1j uses high impedece side feed type injectors. I had a set of mkiv 550's I was going to use, but I just traded them for the jap spec 2j 440's. Remember with 2.5 liters vs 3, you don't need as much fuel-you'll make more power on a 1j with 440's than a 7m can. The ct12a isnt that great of a turbo from what I've been reading. They have creamic wheels which aids in decreasing spool time(I read that the lag is not at all noticable), but limit the amount of boost you can run-most say 15 psi is the max you can run before the blades actually come apart. I've been told the ct 12b uses the same size shaft and blades, only steel and these can be swapped into a ct12a turbo. Supposdly the mk4 turbos don't bolt right up to the 1j, but with a little work can be made to fit. This is my plan later down the road. With the cheap prices those turbos go for, it be worth a shot. The high impedance 440s can be had for cheap as well-just find someone who has bought a jdm 2j-those injectors are worthless to them. I got a fuel rail with the 550 for 200 than traded straight up for the 440's. The mkiv turbos go for around 250-500 depending on milage. They have made as much as 470rwhp on a 2j-and who said a 1j was expensive to modify? The more and more I read about the 1j, the more I can't wait for it to get here.......
T minus 14 days till delivery........

·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks for the info guys, thanks a lot for the extensive infor toypro, I can't wait for you to get your engine either )

Dreaming of 1JZ's

------------------------------------------------
88 Supra Turbo

·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am also curious on the cost you guys are enduring, and how you managed to source the special parts you need for the conversion, bellhousing ect. is the clip coming with a 5-speed? Is that 5-speed a R-154 with a diff belhousing? or is it like a W-58?
Just trying to figure out what kind of trouble I want to get into.

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
88 Supra turbo

·
fbody to supra to fbody
2,015 Posts
well, first of all, if you got the time and money, i dont think there is any kind of trouble you can't get out of :D as for the bellhousing, my particular clip is coming with the 1JZ bellhousing and 1JZ flywheel. with the 1JZ bellhousing, that allows it to bolt right up to the R154 (i am uncertain how it would work with a W58, someone care to clarify?). but if you weren't sure of what to get (just 1JZ-GTE or clip), i would most certainly recommend the clip. because everything you see in your 7M bay would come in the engine bay of the 1JZ (except you would just have the parts from a 1JZ, but you can see my point). as for your question about the trans, the 5spd in the 1JZ is the R154, but a diff bellhousing, as i mentioned above. because the transmissions are the same, the bellhousing will match up on the R154 side, and also on the 1JZ-GTE side. you cant use the 7M bellhousing because the bolts dont line up. i hope this answered your question. just trying to help. (toypro, care to confirm anything i just said with what you have read/heard? thanks.)

-J

·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks jbsupra89t, thats what I wanted to know. Sounds like if I could find a clip for not too much that might be the idea. I did hear though if you got a engine +ECU+harness+mounts but no tranny you could use the W-58 bellhousing from the mk4 too bolt onto a R-154 that would mount onto the 1JZ. Anyone know that forsure? I heard that along with the JDM 7M's most 1JZ's come with autos so it might be hard to find a 5-speed JDM R-154 along with the engine and accessories.

----------------------------------------------
88 Supra Turbo

·
fbody to supra to fbody
2,015 Posts
yeah, i have heard that the 1JZ's came most often mated to the automatic trans (i have NO idea what the name of it is). and the 5spd models are even less, far less. that doesn't mean that you wont find one, though. though i am NOT ENTIRELY SURE of this, if you found a front clip from an AUTO, you could goto www.supras.nl and look for the info on the bellhousing and acquiring one (i think he mentioned somewhere on the site that he could get one), and find an 5spd ECU. while that may be more work than it's worth, it would logically seem like a valid option. i would not know because i have never heard of that being done, just a thought that came to mind. so answering your original question, i have no idea about the bellhousing from the W58 and bolting it onto the R154. one place i know you could go to try to ask these questions also is southfloridatuners.net and click on C&N performance. they have these swaps. HT(somewhat)H

-J

·