Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey wats up guys.....i have a 86 mkIII and i have a automatic 7m-ge motor and im wantin to buy a 5spd 1jz-gte complete swap from ecu,ac pump,to power steerin pump the whole 9 yards...but the reason i need help is cause im tryin to get my background info before i do the swap like on other forums every body says the swap will only work on the 89-92 so that on the 86-89 i would have to relocate the motor mounts is that true???and i know wat i need to swap the motor from a (drive shaft,pedals,master & slave cylinder,clutch lines,and motor mounts) am i missin anything???i seriously need advice please help...wat else will i need to make this swap work.....please help me any advice would be appreciate thanks for takin ur time for ur help..........

·
Registered
97 Posts
You would be far better off selling what you have and buying one already swapped. You have unsurmountable obstacles before you unless you have a lot of knowlege already on the swap. For what the parts will cost you, there have been many on for sale in the last few months. Besides many of the 1jz sets you can buy are bascially junk used by people who never changed their oil in Japan. I have parted several 1jz engines which after removing the valve cover, you would have to do a lot of scraping off gunk to even see a cam bearing cap bolt. Also most of the 1j's on eBay are falsely advertised and will have the wrong sump oil pan and you will be out another $300 or more just swapping the front to a rear sump oil pan. The adds say "Supra" but look closely and most are front sump which wont work in a Supra. I bought a 1jz set from Jhot because I needed some assorted parts and both turbos were seized. Look at the fine print on their warranty, it is worthless. Most of the 1jz cars I have parted never ran, people bought the 1jz set thinking it was an easy swap and found a nightmare when it came to sourcing all the needful parts and even once you locate all the parts, the next nightmare is wiring. There are a handful of 1jz cars out there which run properly and have AC and Power Steering compared with hundreds of poorly running and wires haphazardly ran which give the 1jz a bad name. If you do insist on going through with it, read ALL information you can, especially from people who have done the swap several times. Best of luck

·
Registered
303 Posts
im new to the swapping JZ engine thing too and here is a list of parts u WILL need:

-1jzgte rear sump engine
-1jz/2jz map sensor
-ignitor
-any supra tranny will work but use the r154
-wiring harness
-downpipe (oem or stock is fine); bolt's up to any 7m aftermarket exhausts
-a bit of time

i bought my engine from Pacific Engines in charlotte and it already came with lots of parts.... paid like $1233 after taxes but mines didnt come with a tranny so i gota piece out bits of the tranny before i drop her in my supra.

as for the wiring... just cut a hole out on the firewall and run the engine harness thru there. i seen it done plenty of times. I've even seen ppl make it look professional... whos to look below there anyways??

its not that hard man... but it will help out if the car is a 89-92 model too so that you dont have to get custom mounts... but BIC has that area covered up too.

just read around alot you will get all info u need man.

·
Registered
97 Posts
When buying a 1jz engine without tranny, you are missing some of the most expensive components, especially if your car were an automatic and going to 5 speed ie: the pedals, driveshaft, 1jz R154 bellhousing, 1jz Flywheel, R154 tranny, clutch, pressure plate, shifter, you will be looking at much more than you paid for the engine , Occasionally you can buy a 1jz 5 speed set in the $1700-$2000 range, but still it is a shot in the dark that it is a good engine, and usually the harness will be unusable, and the ecu and map sensor and igniter "may and may not" be included as advertised. I still contend you can buy one running far cheaper than building one. IF you do build one, find the absolute best MK3 body you can, some people spend thousands installing a 1jz into a body ready for the junk yard. An NA especially 91-92 are the best choice in my opininon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts