Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys/gals,

This has happened on a few occasions around the same area.

Took car for a drive and its temperature started spiking high going uphill - not a very long uphill drive.
It did it for most of my trip, so I pulled over,let it kool,and drive was without any incident except the needle was pointing above the half mark.
On my way back, I was boosting heavy and hit the same hill which is a lot longer and steeper when returning.Doing about 80mph most of the way.Weather had cooled down by now.
Gauge was pointing to normal reading all the way

Hydro fan setup and no coolant leaks.

When I pulled over, the reservoir had fluid ABOVE the "FULL" mark and I know that the radiator was full and reservoir was at the "FULL" mark exactly.
When I opened the radiator, I could not see any antifreeze but the reservoir was full to the top so I guess it pushed it back and was not able to suck it back in.
I filled the radiator and it only too about a liter of water.
Changed the radiator cap when I got to my destination with a new 13lbs cap.

My questions are :
What would cause the radiator not to suck antifreeze from the overflow?

How do I test to see if my Hydro fan is working properly as opposed to just spinning which I see it do when my engine is running?

Any help/insight would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
MOe.

·
kaizen Motorsports
1,405 Posts
Can you hear the hydro fan working? If you unplug the selenoid does it slow down? I know is hot in Cali right now but i have been driving with the AC on and raced a mustang on the freeway and no temp spike.

If you are using the Radiator from the clip, well maybe it's time to change it.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
onebad7m said:
Can you hear the hydro fan working? If you unplug the selenoid does it slow down? I know is hot in Cali right now but i have been driving with the AC on and raced a mustang on the freeway and no temp spike.

If you are using the Radiator from the clip, well maybe it's time to change it.
Well I can see it running : Are the Hydro Fans loud enough to be heard ;ike the stock 7mgte ones? IF it is, I don't believe I have ever heard it make a noise.

When u say unplug the Solenoid, do you mean unpluggin the connector coming from the Hydro Fan ECU?

I am using the stock Radiator, but it seems to be okay : no rusty crappy fluid at all.

BTW:would you have a good stock radiator for sale?

·
kaizen Motorsports
1,405 Posts
Yes unplug the one that comes from the hydro fan ECU to the selenoid on the Hydro pump. if it changes in speed then its working, if not then it's not working. You should hear it at idle.

I dont have a good stock radiator for sale. But i could do a koyo for a good price.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
onebad7m said:
Yes unplug the one that comes from the hydro fan ECU to the selenoid on the Hydro pump. if it changes in speed then its working, if not then it's not working. You should hear it at idle.

I dont have a good stock radiator for sale. But i could do a koyo for a good price.
Kool, i'll try checking that fan first. Thanks Jose.

·
Registered
314 Posts
i've had the same problem with my car, still do. i'd be driving it normally, temp all normal, but once i hit a hill or something with a curve, my temp would start spiking up, really annoying. if that happens, i just turn on the heat up to 85 and keep it blowing, even though it gets really hot. the coolant box thingy, dont know the name, always gets filled up and overflows, i can see like liquid on my splash guard. the color of the fluid is like yellow too. i'm guessing it might be my radiator that has the problem because the fluid inside my radiator is yellowish brown but i'm hoping its not hte radiator problem. any suggestions as to what the hell my problem might be?

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well looks like my 1jz fan is not working right.
Took of the ecu while the car was running and nothing happened, it kept spimming as usual, and then plugged it back in, and still no change in speed.
I have never heard that fan really suck any air like everyone ususaally says it does...Could it be a bad computer?

·
*SNICKER SNICKER*
725 Posts
I know the common route at this point is to convert the water pump housing and water pump to a 2JZ setup, then go with the fan from it, however...

Has anyone looked at the hydrofan setups for the Camrys/Avalons? They use hydrofans.... (I personally don't know anyone with the 1JZ/Hydrofan setup), everyone is either already converted to 2JZ pumps, with either the clutch fan, or gone electrical that I know has a 1JZ. But I know my Camry has one!

But it seems to me like you could easily retro fit a Camry or Avalon fan to fit a JZA70 setup.... just an idea... (My 1JZ is not hydro either, so I don't have this issue).

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KingCobra said:
I know the common route at this point is to convert the water pump housing and water pump to a 2JZ setup, then go with the fan from it, however...

Has anyone looked at the hydrofan setups for the Camrys/Avalons? They use hydrofans.... (I personally don't know anyone with the 1JZ/Hydrofan setup), everyone is either already converted to 2JZ pumps, with either the clutch fan, or gone electrical that I know has a 1JZ. But I know my Camry has one!

But it seems to me like you could easily retro fit a Camry or Avalon fan to fit a JZA70 setup.... just an idea... (My 1JZ is not hydro either, so I don't have this issue).
Actually, I know about the Camry Hydro fans as I have seen it myself before.
I don't there is a problem with my fan, but it could be the sender in the radiator or the ECU itself.

I think I'll check it out on the weekend but Ineed to find another ecu and the temop sender. Time to visit the junk yeard and search out some v6 Camry's...
It just maybe the same parts.\

What year Camry do you have?

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
i would also be interested Mo, my fans do the same thing, i pull the fan ecu and they still run, im like wtf. My car never gets hot because of it though.

~scott

·
*SNICKER SNICKER*
725 Posts
SUPRASTANGER507mgte said:
Actually, I know about the Camry Hydro fans as I have seen it myself before.
I don't there is a problem with my fan, but it could be the sender in the radiator or the ECU itself.

I think I'll check it out on the weekend but Ineed to find another ecu and the temop sender. Time to visit the junk yeard and search out some v6 Camry's...
It just maybe the same parts.\

What year Camry do you have?
93 V6 (3VZ-FE)
it's also in my sig... ;)

ya i'd say any v6 Camry or Avalon could be retrofitted if it doesn't bolt right in... (I have already found a few parts from the 3VZ engine that work with the 1JZ... like the PCV valve... if your stock hose is still good the 3VZ pcv valve fits perfectly as a replacement).

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
scottiedawg66 said:
i would also be interested Mo, my fans do the same thing, i pull the fan ecu and they still run, im like wtf. My car never gets hot because of it though.

~scott
I'll let u know if I come with anything Scott.
I doesn't do it everytime. It only does heat up on hot days on hills, specifically on Altamont Pass going towards Tracy...lol
But returning - Which is even worse climb, I have no problems....WSo I think the hot weather on steep hills will do it..

I really think its either the ecu, the sensor on the Radiator or the wiring part...

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
yea i bet its the sensor because the fans never shut off, i mean if the ECU was bad for the fans i bet they would never turn on, and im sure the protolcol for a bad sensor is a constant fan speed. Just a hunch, and i have a spare sensor from my other radiator setup that ill have to get from my other garage hopefull in a week or so if u dont figure it out by then.

~scott

·
*SNICKER SNICKER*
725 Posts
I'll let u know if I come with anything Scott.
I doesn't do it everytime. It only does heat up on hot days on hills, specifically on Altamont Pass going towards Tracy...lol
But returning - Which is even worse climb, I have no problems....WSo I think the hot weather on steep hills will do it..

I really think its either the ecu, the sensor on the Radiator or the wiring part...
that does sound electronic...

I'll have to look at the ECU mapping of the 3VZ/1MZ ECU's engines... to see if the ECU controlls the hydro fan in them... now you got me curious ;) I don't see any wires going to the hydrofan in my Camry so.... (I could be missing them, but I don't think it does).

Doesn't the hydrofan 1JZ's have a hydrofan ecu by itself?

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
KingCobra said:
that does sound electronic...

I'll have to look at the ECU mapping of the 3VZ/1MZ ECU's engines... to see if the ECU controlls the hydro fan in them... now you got me curious ;) I don't see any wires going to the hydrofan in my Camry so.... (I could be missing them, but I don't think it does).

Doesn't the hydrofan 1JZ's have a hydrofan ecu by itself?
Yes the Hydro fan ecu is separate which is kinda good.

For the Avalon and some Lexus, the fan ecu separate as well and same goes for the Camry.
I think the Camry Ecu looks more like the 1jz one, I have the numbers, ill try to match it up.

Scot: My fan spins regardless if the computer is plugged in or not. It may be designed that way hence not heating up on normal driving.
I think the sensor is the culprit as well since that would trigger the ecu to increase the pressure via the solenoid for fans to kick into a higher speed.

Or it could be a wiring issue..but I am sure its not due to the fact we checked em a gazillion times and they really did not get touched or spliced..

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
indeed, my wires are also intact and i believe the problem also lies in the sensor.

~scott

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well , I was able to fix this problem today , and WOW!!!! what a difference the fan makes.

I tried another Solenoid but that did not help.
I looked in the reservoir and the fluid was not circulating so I thought it could be the actual pump.
Today, I decided to go the cheapest route possible and took a good look at the wiring and everything "seemed" okay, but I needed to doublecheck.
Printed out the fan's electrical circuit for the sensor and ecu and found out I was missing two important wires from my plug.

One I traced from the sensor on the radiator ( Green wire ) and the other one was the Yellow/red wire on the solenoid itself.
Found them hangin around the harness - lol
Plugged them into the plug for the fan ecu according to wiring diagram and the freaking fan fired right up to speed.
I am elated.

Thank you guys for your help on this. It made me check things I could have missed.

·
kaizen Motorsports
1,405 Posts
scottiedawg66 said:
indeed, my wires are also intact and i believe the problem also lies in the sensor.

~scott

Your issue is the selenoid. the sensor doesn't do much in that respect. If you unplug the selenoid, Does your Hydro fan stay on full blast? The hydro fan ECU just controls voltage to that selnoid, and that ups the voltage (from 0 thru 12 volts) depending on temperature and Engine speed. So if you unplug the selenoid, the fan should spin but not fast. IF you plug the selenoid back in it should speed up enough to hear it a bit. I could try to get this on video for you guys.

·
kaizen Motorsports
1,405 Posts
Well , I was able to fix this problem today , and WOW!!!! what a difference the fan makes.

I tried another Solenoid but that did not help.
I looked in the reservoir and the fluid was not circulating so I thought it could be the actual pump.
Today, I decided to go the cheapest route possible and took a good look at the wiring and everything "seemed" okay, but I needed to doublecheck.
Printed out the fan's electrical circuit for the sensor and ecu and found out I was missing two important wires from my plug.

One I traced from the sensor on the radiator ( Green wire ) and the other one was the Yellow/red wire on the solenoid itself.
Found them hangin around the harness - lol
Plugged them into the plug for the fan ecu according to wiring diagram and the freaking fan fired right up to speed.
I am elated.

Thank you guys for your help on this. It made me check things I could have missed.

:bigthumb: Im glad your problem is solved. The hydro fan is a solid system, If you take care of it it will keep your car cool.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts