Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, im trying to redo my harness with an new one.

i went to 10 electronic places(not counting radio shack, auto zone,pep boys) none of them have any pair sheilded wire.

i want to know what did everybody use to extend the strainded 1 pair sheilded cable part. all the other wires are extended already except for 4-6 wires that are sheilded pair cable.

any assistance would really relief my stress(itchy) head

thanks in advance

· Sawblades Rock!!!
206 Posts
Just throwing an option out there: Doesn't someone on this forum make and sell harness extensions for the 1jz swap? Maybe they could sell you one, but I guess if you already extended all the wires but that one you wouldn't want to spend the extra money.

· Registered
297 Posts
I used USB 2.0 cable. 4 wires, use 2 wires for each of the 2 signal wire you are extending. Make sure to keep the shielding intact. After cutting it, I peeled it back about 6 inches on each side. Then took 2 wires from the USB, soldered it to one on each end, shrink tubed it and did it again. Next, bring the shielding up around those wires and connect on each end. I used some RG6 shielding to make up what I was missing. The shielding protects against noise and is the ground for the circuit, so it must remain intact (electrically). When I was done I used a large shrink wrap (put it on first when I first cut the wire) then taped it. Test, wire end to wire end on each one to make sure you have good continuity and then wire to ground to make sure you didn't get any of that shielding in the signal wiring. Should be good to go. The one I did has run flawlessly for about 1.5yrs so far.

Marty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.