Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 1jz mounted in the 240 right now, didn't run intercooler piping yet so none of that is hooked up. Under full throttle there is what sounds like backfiring when the car is just sitting in neutral. Could the problem be that.. or timing, is there even a way to adjust timing and if there is how? Thanks

·
Registered
929 Posts
you're from west allis? i'm only in milwaukee. i thought i was the only person in milwaukee running the 1jz. maybe i can come check it out with you.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Why are you trying to diagnose problems , when things are not properly hooked up. It also not good for the turbos to run like that. But w/o hearing it, you might be hitting the rev limiter and it can cause popping. I would recommend getting everything hooked up and then start trouble shooting.

Good luck

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes i work there, What i would like to know is should the car rev with out seeing any air from the turbo's or is it programmed in the ecu by throttle and rpm not so much map sensor?

also how is reving it with out the piping hooked up going to hurt the turbo ?

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Yu dont need the IC piping on to run the car, its just a N/A now.It wont hurt it..
Make sure you dont suck anything up in through the TB..:)

It sounds like you are just hitting fuel cut, but in N you shoudnt do that(no load on engine.) soo maybe your plugs are not gapped right...?

Also the timing is adjusted by the cam gears.. Did you change the timing belt at all?

Is your car S-14 or S-13..

Im getting an S-14 and am thinking about swapping a 1j in it... Im minneapolis MN..

Ax

·
Registered
979 Posts
i would think its getting too much fuel since your running the car without the pipes connected to turbo and tb.....theres no way you should be trying to diagnose this until everything is plumbed and the car is ready to drive....im dropping my 1jz into my 240 today....wish me luck...
jeff

·
Registered
427 Posts
chubbyc16 said:
also how is reving it with out the piping hooked up going to hurt the turbo ?
You'll be overboosting the turbo. Think of it as running with the wastegate shut.

Also, if you don't have the IC piping hooked up, the map sensor can't read vacuum....so it'll run pig rich and foul your plugs eventually.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1EVIL-JZX90 said:
You'll be overboosting the turbo. Think of it as running with the wastegate shut.

Also, if you don't have the IC piping hooked up, the map sensor can't read vacuum....so it'll run pig rich and foul your plugs eventually.

lol your wastegates are always shut!!!! they open at like 8 psi you will never see 8 psi with out a load with the car setting in park!!!!

also the map sensor is in the intake manifold why wouldnt it see vacuum the car idles fine and revs fine with 1/4 throttle if i go more it pops and bangs,it not running rich if any thing its lean!

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
You dont need the IC pipes hooked up....

Did you change the T-belt?? Maybe timing is off.... Have you drove it out of N, like in gear?

Ax

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also thankx every one for the help !!!

if you are doing a 240sx 1/2jzgte swap here are some things you have to think about

1 you need a front sump oil pan thats a must
2 try to get a supra harness i have a jzx90 and there is sh*t for wiring diagrams
3 get a swap with the rubber mounts on it and modify your front cross member its simple my mounts had to go down about 1 1/2-2 inchs and had to be moved 1 3/4 forward not saying your's will be the same but it should be close if you use the same mounts i did

ill add more as i run into more problems but those are the important ones

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no i havent touched the time belt ,its sounds like it could be adv cause the thing revs really nice but i have hear these motors are like that ?

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
1jzSupraGuy said:
you're from west allis? i'm only in milwaukee. i thought i was the only person in milwaukee running the 1jz. maybe i can come check it out with you.
Mines not running yet but dont forget about me :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ranger2339 said:
What do you mean rubber mounts??

Also what did you mod. on the cross member??

Ax

ill take pics of the crossmember when i pull it back out for paint,i used the stock toyota rubber mounts that came on my swap .you also have to trim the front of the crossmember for the oil pan and you have to have a FRONT SUMP thats a must.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts