Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I LOVE this motor!! I got the knock sensors re-wired today and that REALLY made the car come alive! I boosted past 5K and it was amazing! The smoothest boosting motor I have ever driven! I am surprised that I didn;t hit fuel cut at all either. I have an HKS type S FMIC, hard pipes, intake, 3" divorced Y pipe, 3" DP, no cats, HKS Superdrager. I figured that i would at least hit cut or spike, but I didn't. Any reason, or is this normal? I still have a small oil leak that I can't quite track down...I think it is in one spot and the fan is blowing it over a few other spots, then dripping down.

I got a nice huge new Craftsman Compressor and a 1/2, 3/8 and straight impact drills and I am using the tax refund on all new craftsman tools including a new snap ring kit, crows feet, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drives, 54 wrenches, 248 sockets. Also getting a standard/metric drill and tap set as well. i will be getting polishing tools as well and I am going to start polishing turbo compressor housings.

Hopefully I get this leak taken care of soon! I spent all night cleaning and shinning the whole engine and bay! looks awesome!

Trev

·
Registered
490 Posts
supraturbo1987 said:
I LOVE this motor!! I got the knock sensors re-wired today and that REALLY made the car come alive! I boosted past 5K and it was amazing! The smoothest boosting motor I have ever driven! I am surprised that I didn;t hit fuel cut at all either. I have an HKS type S FMIC, hard pipes, intake, 3" divorced Y pipe, 3" DP, no cats, HKS Superdrager.

Trev
How much boost are you running and what was your dyno result? I cant wait to get my 1JZ in, but I'm not going to have a FMIC :(

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
12 psi....sounds right. I hit 12.8 psi with the stock cat and a weak 1JZ downpipe. Also had a 2.5" cat with an O.G. apex rs exhaust.

-Joseph

can't wait to see your dyno

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
SlimFastSupra said:
Sweet

All 1JS should have IC upgrades :)
Do you really think its that necessary? I have had my stock one on for approximatly 6 months at 14psi and it never seems to be heat soaked, always cool to the touch. Either way I still need to get off my ass and get the upgraded one on there.

·
kaizen Motorsports
1,402 Posts
Im glad that you like it so far, It's amazing what a torqueless motor can do, and specially because it's only 2.5 liters, and it revs so smooth, and the best of all is that it does this stock! There is no way 5,000 toyota Engineers would design the 1J to be worst then the 7M :D . The 1J has the traits of a sports car Engine, High revving, smooth power delivery, who would of thought of that! :cool: Enjoy it and beat on it, You just gave a Supra new Hope. What am i saying You guys already know this who am i kidding? ;)

·
DTM/JDM Enthusiast
699 Posts
onebad7m said:
Im glad that you like it so far, It's amazing what a torqueless motor can do, and specially because it's only 2.5 liters, and it revs so smooth, and the best of all is that it does this stock! There is no way 5,000 toyota Engineers would design the 1J to be worst then the 7M :D . The 1J has the traits of a sports car Engine, High revving, smooth power delivery, who would of thought of that! :cool: Enjoy it and beat on it, You just gave a Supra new Hope. What am i saying You guys already know this who am i kidding? ;)
Well said :bigthumb:

·
i <3 supra
1,254 Posts
onebad7m said:
:agreed:

M

·
0 Posts
I had an oil leak when I first got mine in: cam seals had perforated, due to the half-cut having sat in the (hot) weather for a few months before I collected it. All fixed now. Smoothest engine I have ever owned! Just need to get the exhaust and boost control fitted, so it actually enjoys revving over 4500! Still managed 175rwkw with front mount, 3" ic piping, and pod filter.

Can't wait to really go to work on the old girl!

·
Registered
554 Posts
onebad7m said:
since when is the 1jz torqueless?? it has a lot more torque than most other engines of equal displacement.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
723 Posts
The 1JZ is far from torqueless, I hate when people think it is just because it's smaller in displacement. Spoken like a true domestic owner lol. Ohh god you cant make torque without a 3.0L, might as well throw the engine off a cliff right now since our cars are heavy. My buddies 94' saab turbo dyno'd 262hp and 371tq, thats a 2.3L 4 cyl, the 1JZ makes just as much torque as it does hp, its a good balance of an engine, you need torque but you need hp too. If toyota thought the supra needed a torque monster they woulda put a frickin turbo diesel in it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i knew you would enjoy the 1jz man, cant wait for more pics and a dyno vid I am curiours to see how much your ypipe and FMIC added to your power, as in i have everything you have except the ypipe and FMIC, considering your pipe is all custom I dont think I will get one but the FMIC is coming soon, congrats on the swap, oh and onebad7m preach on brotha

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
it just puts a smile on my face.i put like 170 miles in two days(even thought my new 2jz alternator sounds like its got a nut rattling inside it)me an my nephew were following this suv down a wineding back road at 35,i dropped it in 1st and blew buy that guy so fast he never knew what hit him.the money and effort into this swap was well worth it in my opinion

1 - 20 of 37 Posts