Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who has the most on the stock short block?

also has anyone here ever seen any other factory motor besides toyotas
that can handle 40-50 psi?!?! these motors are just amazing!

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
stock 1j block is as good possibly better than the stock 2j block due to having the same forged pistons, shorter forged rods, and similar crank. 40-50 psi stock block....i dunno bout that.

~scott

·
2jz powered
1,688 Posts
scottiedawg66 said:
stock 1j block is as good possibly better than the stock 2j block due to having the same forged pistons, shorter forged rods, and similar crank. 40-50 psi stock block....i dunno bout that.

~scott
I don't undersatnd how it could be "possibly" better than the 2j block? Without getting into details, the 2j block is just a 3.0 version of the 1j :1poke: .

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
last i heard it was 800+ on stock ecu? he said he did 1k but it lasted a block on the road when i talked to him 2 years ago.. lol

i think 86 bore x 76 or 72 stroke.. i dunno.. destroked 2jz

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
tissimo said:
last i heard it was 800+ on stock ecu? he said he did 1k but it lasted a block on the road when i talked to him 2 years ago.. lol

i think 86 bore x 76 or 72 stroke.. i dunno.. destroked 2jz

71.5 :]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was hoping it could handle around the same,
I undersatand the head is actually a better design and can produce better flow#s also?

so nobody has heard of another factory block that can support this much boost?

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
the head is a myth, it has been proven that hte 2jz head flows better.

I said the 1j might have a stronger bottom end because shorter rods are stronger than long ones... they are the same thickness.

~scott

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
u cant put a 2j head on a 1j block i guess there is huge "response" problems, apexi tried and it didnt go well, chekc out the 1jz section for more. people put 1j heads on 2j blocks all the time and it seems to work great.

~scott

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
nosty1 said:
the heads are interchangeable correct?
If you're implying putting a 2J head on a 1J, the money would probably be better spent just having work done to the 1J head instead.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
If you had a built motor, I suppose you could shoot for that goal.

·
me me me me me me!!!
483 Posts
what would be the point of that unless you had 2 semi turbos on it which at their potential would probably turn any gasoline motor including the jz into ground hamburger.

but it would be interesting to hear for sure. on most peoples single setups the powerband would probably drop off before that rpm.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
I heard in japan there are some 1jz's that rev to 12.5k, but, then again, rumors are usually wrong.

·
Registered
558 Posts
There is no advantage to running a 1jz over a 2jz...Please Note, I am not saying you can't make big power with a 1jz, nor am I saying they are a weak motor, so 1jz lovers, no need to flame...

You are giving up .5 displacement or approximately 30 Cubic Inches of displacement, which on a small motor is a huge deficit....

All things being equal(meaning you run the same size turbo, boost, engine management etc and necessary fuel mods on both engines, say, for example, a T67 and necessary supporting mods on both) you are making approximately 4 HP per CI on a motor pushed to the 25-30 psi range. Going with the 1jz you could be giving up to 100+ HP compared to the 2jz and that much in torque just due to 30 less Cubic inches.

If you can afford it, definitely go with the 2jz...thats why all the top races go with the 3.0 and some even push it further to 3.4 with a stroker kit...Stroke doesn't kill anything despite what people are saying in this post that a shorter stroke is an advantage(if you make a 1000hp at 5600 rpm or at 12000 rpm, its still the same and will run the same speed, you just need to gear accordingly to fit the power range)....The 3.4 stroker has a larger stroke then the 1jz yet the pro teams push them to around 10K and make 1500-1800hp...

The only real advantage to a 1jz is if you already have one, or pick one up dirt cheap or the rules require only 2.5 displacement...

Again, I am going to reiterate, You can make big power with the 1jz and run wicked times, I have seen it myself...so no need to flame...I'm only talking about comparing a 1jz to a 2jz as far as HP all things being the same...

Just my 02...which is going up in worth...

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
hmmm , I make the same exact HP as my friends 2JZ on the same turbo set up, but I actually make more TQ, I believe and I have a 1JZ.
All cases are not the same.
2JZ's are a little better IMO, but I dont think all that much , the displacement makes very little difference IMO

·
Registered
558 Posts
PM-Performance said:
hmmm , I make the same exact HP as my friends 2JZ on the same turbo set up, but I actually make more TQ, I believe and I have a 1JZ.
All cases are not the same.
2JZ's are a little better IMO, but I dont think all that much , the displacement makes very little difference IMO
At lower boost levels, you won't see much of a difference between the two as your specific output is low...

But, push it to 700+whp and have them tuned and dyno'd on the same dyno at the same boost and you'll see the difference,

You will need several more pounds of boost to make the same HP and TQ on your 1jz as a 2jz I GUARANTEE it!

You won't make the same HP and TQ at the same boost...remember, I said ALL THINGS being equal...

Dave

·
!black
4,622 Posts
With all things being "equal", the 1JZ will simply find the same power higher in the band. 2JZs are torque drive, 1JZ's are rv driven. Torque is fun on the streets (so is revving hehe)but pure power numbers don't really mean anything.

I'd love to see some 800rwhp 2JZ go against the Mine's R34. That is a car who's entire design was based around the concept of ballance. it only pushes ~600hp through a 2.6L (basically the same bore/stroke as the 1JZ) but will all out rape a larger displacement car on the track. It's easy to get suckered in by big HP numbers, but they don't mean shit unless you can use them effectivly. Tossing a turbo that looks like it came from a CAT and makes it's power inches from redline doesn't really intice me much.

Figure out what you want, build accordingly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts