Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so today I decided to screw down the map sensor to the firewall like it was in the clip. I figured maybe this was a ground or something that I missed. I did it and started the car (cold) instead of idling at the usual 1900 right away, it was at 1300. I took it for a drive and it drove like shit. wouldn't boost, just ran crappy. I pulled over and found that the vacuum line was disconnected from the sensor. So, i put it on...started the car again....it boosted, but very shitty...still ran like crap...500 rpm idle. I unscrewed the map from the firewall again and reset the ECU...still runs like shit!!! I boosted fairly soon after resetting the ECU....wouldn't think that would be a problem....WTF...car was running perfect last time i started it.

Trev

·
Registered
416 Posts
Did you disconnect the battery? If so, let it run a little bit to relearn the fuel maps. The sensor doesnt ground through the bracket, its just a braket, make sure that the line to the sensor is intact etc.

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kay..just got home from work....i didn't disconnect the battery or mess with anything else. after i am warm, it idles at 500 and misses. I just pulled the plugs....on all of them...they are black...soot...the very tip (the part that adjusts the gap) is a dark grey, but everything else is black. I mean...black. maybe messing with the MAP sensor was just a coincidence and i just fouled these plugs finally...

Trev

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a pic...the black is a richer/darker black in person...very sooty. the prong is also darker...it was the flash.

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, i cleaned up all of the plugs with brake cleaner and got them very clean....put them in....started on a cold start....STILL runs at 1200 rpms cold and as it gets lower, starts to run like shit....misses....damn it...why me

Trev

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay...started it again after confirming no codes....stills starts at a lower RPM...but is idling at 700 or so and not missing...maybe the ecu is learning itself. tomorrow i will try and drive it and boost....

Trev

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Id try new plugs bro..

My MR2 would do the same thing, so i cleaned the plugs and nothing.. Soo i went and bought some new ones and bam started right up with no more issues..

The same thing also happened with my 1JZ, it ran like crap studdering and bad throttle response ect...

Sooo i put in new plugs and bam.. Works great..

Since the toyota turbo motors run so rich, plugs foul out allot quicker.. ( even faster wen boosting allot)

Well good luck bro. thats all that i can think off, besides maybe a vaccume leak or a gasket leak??

Josh

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ranger2339 said:
Id try new plugs bro..

My MR2 would do the same thing, so i cleaned the plugs and nothing.. Soo i went and bought some new ones and bam started right up with no more issues..

The same thing also happened with my 1JZ, it ran like crap studdering and bad throttle response ect...

Sooo i put in new plugs and bam.. Works great..

Since the toyota turbo motors run so rich, plugs foul out allot quicker.. ( even faster wen boosting allot)

Well good luck bro. thats all that i can think off, besides maybe a vaccume leak or a gasket leak??

Josh
Hey Josh, thanks for the info...I figured new plugs were my next endeavor. See, most of you don't know how rich my car is...i posted about it....i am trying to figure out why it is SOOOO much more rich than other 1jz's. I believe that the O2 sensor is the culprit. I was so rich that I could light a lighter about 4 inches from the muffler and get a HUGE fire ball. After I released the lighter and pulled it away....the fireball would still remain burning just off of the exhaust fumes. BTW, i have never noticed this....i could smell gas when all of the plugs were out. I know I am rich. So, when you changed out your plugs...did your car idle high again like normal on a cold start?

Trev

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Ya wen its chilly out up here( Minnesota) both my cars engines (JDM 3s-gte and my new baby the 1JZ)
Seem to idle high untill they get warmed up to operating temp. then they calm down a little.

Right now my 1J run's really fukin rich and idleing funny, it sounds like a surge, like up vrooom down up vroom down but very light and not to noticeable..
(im not sure what rpms i have yet because i have to hook up my tach still).. Im going to start checking for vaccume leaks.. Otherwise the plugs that i put in made a 100% difference

Also how the hell do i change the tranny fluid in my R154.. I cant seem to find the filler plug??? Am i just being a burnout and overlooking something??

Josh

·
Registered
416 Posts
ranger2339 said:
Ya wen its chilly out up here( Minnesota) both my cars engines (JDM 3s-gte and my new baby the 1JZ)
Seem to idle high untill they get warmed up to operating temp. then they calm down a little.

Right now my 1J run's really fukin rich and idleing funny, it sounds like a surge, like up vrooom down up vroom down but very light and not to noticeable..
(im not sure what rpms i have yet because i have to hook up my tach still).. Im going to start checking for vaccume leaks.. Otherwise the plugs that i put in made a 100% difference

Also how the hell do i change the tranny fluid in my R154.. I cant seem to find the filler plug??? Am i just being a burnout and overlooking something??

Josh
Fill it from the shifter.

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
wow, DAMN!, tyhats exactly how mines was, but ever since i did a swap i never changed plugs the engine came with....no miss nothing....but right now im getting some missing with new plugs i put yesterday, NGK BKR7 plugs, on idlei get some miss but not constant or heavy, every 8-10 seconds and such....dunno whats causing it, two of the connectors to my coilpacks are loose, so gonna try that.

does anyone no if the BKR7 plugs drop in teh 1jz or does it need regapping?

·
Registered
416 Posts
0.28 is really small, for stock turbos. I run 0.36 with no problems. I have run all the way up to a 0.44 but that resulted in a slight misfire at the top of the gear.

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well, per anorexicpoodles advice (and urbano's) I regapped my brand new plugs from .028 to .039 and holy SH*T what a difference! No longer am I missing, i boost and drive incredibly, AND there is not longer dark grey smoke out of the exhaust on idle!

Thanks for the tips guys. BTW, these are NGK BKR7E's (6097's)

Trev

N

·
0 Posts
well, before i saw your last post i was gonna say to check your coil packs for cracks, but if it was just the plugs, good

but i would check for cracks regardless

1 - 20 of 20 Posts