Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Sawblades Rock!!!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a half cut 1jz, just wondering about any design flaws or reliability issues with the engine I should know about. From what I read it's more reliable than the 7m, but then again... of all the mkIII's out there probably less than 5% have 1jz swaps. For those of you who own one What should I expect from this engine?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
expect it to rock. hardcore.

seriously, there aren't really any specialty trademark flaws with the engine itself. the turbos are the most fragile part about them.

·
Supras are never 'done'
1989 Toyota Supra
601 Posts
Turbo oil seals, coil packs arcing (same as 2JZ), and the occasional bad ECU.

·
*SNICKER SNICKER*
725 Posts
If you get the very first version of the 1JZ-GTE, be dilligent about replacing the PCV valve every 10k miles. Helps prolong the life of the stock turbos. Or upgrade to an oil catch can of course. ;)

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
yep. drove it to work for a bit.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
I think my headgasket leaks...

but its been like that for 6 months. O well, still runs good.

·
turbo....................
1,057 Posts
i commute with this car 50miles away and back and running on 17psi.
enough said.

·
I have auto ADD.
4,567 Posts
when i did my swap i dropped that sucker in, changed the sparkplugs and oil, then drove it 160 miles to my parents house. not a single engine related problem.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yep...hard to break this motor.

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
Coil packs arcing, which was stated, but can easilly be fixed with epoxy over the cracks

Bad ECU can hold injectors open, but can be fixed with a little rewiring

I've heard several people having low oil pressure on startup (myself included), but it's not a big deal, it goes away in 30 seconds.

Your turbos will probably blow white smoke at some point, needing a rebuild or replacement.

the PCV valve fails, it's like a $8 part from the dealership for a 2JZ one that fits right in.

All the gas you'll use because you just can't stop driving the thing :)

·
{Insert witty comment}
144 Posts
TiWo2.0 said:
Just ordered a half cut 1jz, just wondering about any design flaws or reliability issues with the engine I should know about. From what I read it's more reliable than the 7m, but then again... of all the mkIII's out there probably less than 5% have 1jz swaps. For those of you who own one What should I expect from this engine?
You'll be fine man, why worry about design flaws or reliability issues when you can just wack in one of those fuel atomisers you are spouting about in that thread you created.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367902

Double the horsepower and get even better mileage out of the 100,000+ km engine you just bought with the small outlay of just $1500. It works, you told me so. :iwdumbass

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
I am very abusive. and I dont think I have abused any motors as much as this one and it has yet to give me any kind of problem. Deff a solid motor.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
:stupid:

Only thing I have had break was my harmonic balancer which separated. Every other problem I have had with this car in the 32k I have driven it has been directly caused by me.

Great motor.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
i love mine never any problems outside of a bad waterpump and it sux to have blown turbos. 1jz>all

~scott

·
67mm of pleasure
852 Posts
Im on my 3rd ps pump, but think I could've salvaged the 2nd one, I just didn't want to, was really pissed at the time. You can drive the hell out of this motor and then some and all you'll do is eat gas...its a wonderful motor. Its my only car (for now) and I used to commute 70 miles daily in rush hour, you will have no problems whatsoever....maybe just speeding tickets lol

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
drove mines on about 1.5 quarts of oil for about 4-5 months due to lack of time and ended up spinning ONE bearing and still driving it for 2-3 weeks and changed blocks....no problems so far except for the turbo seals that blew when the wastegate line popped off and i was driving trying to figure out why is it missfiring at high rpm lol then saw it was going up to 1 bar and cutting

1 - 20 of 31 Posts