Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a problem with the 1jz in my GS300, unfortunately, its very sporadic, so I haven't found it yet.

Its actually happened 3 times in the last 6 months. The car will just stall from idle. When it does, it will start back up, but only after several seconds of cranking. While its cranking, it sounds like its trying to start, but just won't quite catch. When it does finally start, it blows smoke from being rich, so I'm guessing its ignition related. It also only seems to do it when its cold. Here are the 3 times it has done it:

1. Pulling it out of my shop, after it had sat all day. Started and immediately stalled. Wouldn't restart. I checked all fuses, etc, didn't find anything. Tried again, and it started. Drove home that night (15 miles) and daily for the next month or so. Swap was about 6 months old, and had about 1500 miles on it, at this point.

2. Started car, moved car, stopped car. Sitting at idle, and it just died. This time, several seconds of cranking got it to fire, then it ran fine, but I had no tach. The guy who did the swap for me had put in a diode / cap circuit from the black wire on the ignitor to the factory tach input, to get it to work (something about different wave shape). Cap and diode had both blown. Tach reading on SAFC still works, so I just left it that way. This lead me to think it was something to do with the ignitor. Drove car home, and daily for about 2 months.

3. This morning. About 2 blocks from my house, sitting at a stop sign, stalled. Restarted after several seconds of cranking, drove 15 miles to work without issue.

I've also noticed that it idles a little rough on startup, but smooths out after 1000 rpms, or so. Seems to go away when it warms up.

I'm not getting a check engine light, but I think that's because its not hooked up. I think prior owner pulled the bulb (long before swap).

So, I'm thinking I need a new ignitor...thoughts?

Toby

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I might have solved my own problem. I managed to simulate the problem by tugging on the wire coming out of the SAFC. When I opened the unit up, I found that the plug going into the circuit board was about to fall out. I pushed it back in (about 1/8 of an inch), put the case back together, and put a drop of glue on the cord to make a strain relief.

Toby

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.