Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a clean 1987 N/A hardtop from my father as part of a car trade. The car has some engine and drivetrain issues, but an otherwise clean body, making it the perfect candidate for a 1JZ swap. My goal is to swap a 1JZ+R154 out of a supra front clip into the MA70 chassis, along with the turbo diff.

I've been thinking about the logistics of the swap and I am debating whether or not it makes sense to attempt the swap myself in my father's house. I will have access to a 2 car garage (really 1.5 car garage since there is some crap in the other bay - snowblower, etc...) The garages roofline appears be about 11-12'.

Basic tools are available, floor jacks, hand tools, stands, etc. I do not have an engine crane or engine stand. I do not have an air compressor. Of course, I can buy these things. I consider myself mechanically inclined.

Does it make sense to attempt this swap in my father's garage, or am I better off paying someone else to make it their problem?

The car is simply too cool to not restore. In any case, I am committed to swapping a 1JZ in the supra. It will happen.

Thanks!
Walt

·
Registered
549 Posts
I would at least attempt to DIY. If you ever hit a speed bump you can always consult all of us here. There plenty of different guides and step by step instructions on how to swap a 1j. Compile all of though, do A little bit of research and then go for it. IF worst comes to worst you can always have it towed to a performance shop for them to complete it but at least try :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i vote DIY. its really not hard...the wiring for me was the most challenging part put then again that was preety easy. those are my 2 cents
Awesome! it's good to hear that it's really not that hard of a project to take on; I guess I needed to build up some confidance before I begin spending thousands of dollars on prats.

I would at least attempt to DIY. If you ever hit a speed bump you can always consult all of us here. There plenty of different guides and step by step instructions on how to swap a 1j. Compile all of though, do A little bit of research and then go for it. IF worst comes to worst you can always have it towed to a performance shop for them to complete it but at least try :)
Knowing that there's always an out is also good to keep in mind. It seems like this swap in particular is fairly common and well documented on the internet. From my initial research, as long as everything is wired and connected correctly (and the parts are all good) the car should fire right up. And if not, I have a community to rely on for help.

Where are you located?
Central NJ (near Princeton) is where the car is. I am currently living about 1 hour away in Pennsylvania though. This will have to be be a weekend / vacation day project at my parent's house since I dont have a garage in PA yet. : (

·
Registered
443 Posts
id say get a notebook and start writing everything down.
once you know about and have everything you should need it should be cake to throw a 1jz in there.
i already have a good bit of info compiled for a 2jzge-T swap for mine if/when the 7m goes out.

PS. save a little extra money for tires once the swap is done, you may need them... :D

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
Whoever builds the car gets the respect. Anybody can buy a car, lmao.

·
Total Annihilation
1,931 Posts
That is true. You feel more proud of yourself and your work when you do it yourself. Ever try to troubleshoot something you did not build? It's not that fun

·
Registered
231 Posts
we just dropped 2 1j's in 2 supras in 2 days.. we have to finish wiring them up now but have had some stuff come up

its not that bad.. do the research and collect the parts you need and do it yourself.. we've only had to use really basic tools and a hoist

·
Total Annihilation
1,931 Posts
You have to reseach anything you do. Step by Step write ups help so much. I used one from a website when I did my first swap and I would of been lost if i didn't use it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Dropping it in isnt that hard. Id say go for it. Wiring was another matter for me so I had a local shop do it. From what Ive heard of DR Tweak here on supraforums though I wish I would have sent the wiring harness to him. Good luck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You will be able to say you did it. Also you will be more proud of it . The wiring it the hardest part of it I thing or it was on mine. I had some one do my harness for me other then that me and my friends. + a few beers after for them;)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
How much automotive experience do you have? If you have never done any basic mods/maintanance then I wouldn't recommend it. However, if you have installed many bolt-ons and don't seem to find that difficult, the swap may be doable for you.

Everyone has different skills, and honestly not everyone will have the ability to complete a swap properly the first time.

conversely, if you have very little automotive experience but want to learn and are willing to take a lot of extra time, frustration, etc. Then you might as well give it a shot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts