Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finishing up the details on my 1JZ swap, where I used a 90T/auto Canadian model Supra and installed a 91 1JZ/5-speed.

Here's my question...

Since the 1JZ front clip did not have ABS, what do I have to do to install the speed sensor onto the 5-speed tranny? Though I have not checked, wouldn't the plug be there for the engine harness to connect to anyway? Right now I still have the white 4-wire plug hanging near the firewall, with nowhere to go....

I do want my ABS, cruise, and all of the speed sensor related features to work on my Sup...

THANX guys!!!!

I posted this to the MKIII technical section, but I guess some more of you guys may run into this issue. I do want to stay with the 1J tranny, since it's apparently a lil' better than a R154 (7M) tranny. Just wat my speed sensor hooked up.....

·
Registered
543 Posts
Elvis, you have two choices. Since you got rid of the 7M R154 with the 88 Supra, you may need to visit the locat junk yard to get the 5spd trans with the abs speed sensor on it and install it on your CDN transplant. Or go by and see if td, (I know, I don't like this either) has one there. I could have given you the one on my Silver car since it didn't have abs, but the B2TF Supra does. Check the cygnus on line catolog to see pictures of the tranny setup for the speed sensor. HTH.

Orin B Sr

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey man!! Thanx!!

So, what you're saying is that I need to swap the tranny alltogether? Or, do you mean that I can find the speed sensor and install it on my current 5-speed tranny?

Is it something I can just get from Toyota and install on this tranny, or are there other "internal" mechanisms necessary for it to require a complete tranny swap?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Exactly.

Yes you can go to Toyota and get the sensor and plug it in. Not sure how much it will be though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts