Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if i need a diff form a turbo mk3 for my 1j swap into a 89 na mk3.

is there a way to tell if I have a pre 89 or a 89+ by the sticker on the door?..
For the record, 1jz into a mk3 needs a REAR sump right:dumbass: ?

· Registered
6,774 Posts
No you don't need a diff from a turbo mkiii. I mean you can, but it's not necessary. Are you worried about fitment issues with the driveshaft length or something. All the Supra's 8in differentials are interchangable.

Look on the door jam sticker for the date. For an 89 model it should have been built in late-88 or early-89. What does your tach go up to?

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No you don't need a diff from a turbo mkiii. I mean you can, but it's not necessary. Are you worried about fitment issues with the driveshaft length or something. All the Supra's 8in differentials are interchangable.

Look on the door jam sticker for the date. For an 89 model it should have been built in late-88 or early-89. What does your tach go up to?
the door jam has "aug 88".

the reason i ask about the diff is because a few people told me that i would need a "turbo diff" for my n/a cause i was going 1j.

thanks

· Registered
365 Posts
na man u can rock the diff u have on ur car now...driveshaft will bolt up to it no matter what...if u want a turbo lsd diff holla at me i can get u one

· Registered
81 Posts
Lets finish this thread already! No your Diff is fine! I would swap a turbo transmission the (R154), into the car if it was me. The (W58) which is what you have currently is crap and will not hold that much power. Yes you need a rear sump... That should be pretty obvious! The only thing you need to change is your bell housing to get the Tranny, Drive Line, and Diff to hook up properly. Yes look at your door jam it will answer the question you are asking...

/Thread

· Registered
365 Posts
look at ur mounts if thier square u have the pre 89...and u would need the adaptors to fit the JZ inside...rs4rush u forgot hell also be needing a jz flywheel...best bet is to go to jdm engine depot and find the whole 1jz set with the tranny for 2g's...youll have everything you need

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lets finish this thread already! No your Diff is fine! I would swap a turbo transmission the (R154), into the car if it was me. The (W58) which is what you have currently is crap and will not hold that much power. Yes you need a rear sump... That should be pretty obvious! The only thing you need to change is your bell housing to get the Tranny, Drive Line, and Diff to hook up properly. Yes look at your door jam it will answer the question you are asking...

/Thread
look at ur mounts if thier square u have the pre 89...and u would need the adaptors to fit the JZ inside...rs4rush u forgot hell also be needing a jz flywheel...best bet is to go to jdm engine depot and find the whole 1jz set with the tranny for 2g's...youll have everything you need
GOOD SHIT, thanks for the help>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.