Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FAQ: 1JZ transplant

I don't know why the other 1JZ sticky got deleted, but here is the information Toypro provided earlier. I'm sorry if it's a bit confusing -- tt's based on multiple posts just added on top of each other. I'll try and arrange it later, but hopefully the first sticky turns up:

<i>originally posted by Toypro</i>
The 2.5 liter 1jz-gte was the succsessor to the 7m series in Japan. It was offered in JZA70 MK3 supra as well as the Soarer(lexus SC series here) and the Chaser. Possibly others, I don't know 100%. There are differences between the various verisons of the 1j. Some had tractions control, some had front sump oil pans, some center, some were twin turbo while the later ones where single. The later ones also had top feed injectors while the twin version uses side feed.
To swap a 1jzgte into a mk3 US spec supra, you will be best off buying a front clip from one of the various importors.Although it won't have everything you need to do the swap, you'll at least know you have the right engine mount brackets and oil pan to fit in the mk3. You'll also know you have an un-cut harness and the ECU. 1jz's are for sale all the time on ebay, but none of them have these. Plan on going with a stand alone if you buy one of these, you'll have a very hard time finding the harness and ecu anywhere. If you can only find an auto, and you want a manual you'll have a few choices. One is to buy a bellhousing from the JZA70 manual supra. This will allow you to bolt a R-154 mk3 turbo tranny right up. You will also need the flywheel from the JZA70 as you cannot use you 7mgte. You can also use a W58 tranny from a mkiv, again you need the W58 mkiv flywheel. This trans is rumored to be good up to the 400rwhp level. Another choice is the mkiv 6-speed. You might have to do some tranny modifactions to fit this unit into a mk3 though.You would also need the 2jzgte flywheel.

The 1j swap can only be a direct fit in the 89 and up mk3's that use the newer round style motor mounts. If you have an 89, check first, the model change split that year. If you have an 87-88, you'll need to either locate a 89+ crossmember or make some custom mounts up. The crossmember from the clip will not work without serious modifactions. Due to it being RHD, you will need to modify the mounts for the steering rack.

Some items you'll have to buy when swapping this in are a mkiv TT throttle cable and also a high pressure powersteering hose from a 93-94 mkiv supra.
Some parts crossover to US part numbers, some do not. It's hit and miss. None of the 2jz turbo manifolds will bolt up, different pattern. The 2jzgte turbos will not bolt up to the stock manifolds either. The 1jz uses creamic bladed turbos for quick spool-up. The downside is the realibitly of them. Some have posted failures at higher boost pressures, ie 15 psi+

In short, the best way to do the swap is to buy a clip. You won't spend months trying to source parts. You'll have your IC, your pipes, your DP,ecu,harness,etc....

Some links...

www.jza70.com

www.tierco.net -Ricks website, details his swap and has some very good info

http://www.takakaira.com good place to find aftermarket parts

www.jarcoinc.com -Japanese front clip importer. Where I and some others have got clips from.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MKIIIJZA70/ --1jzgte mailing list, started by Orin Bivens

The wiring is by far the hardest part of the swap for more than one reason. First the harness is too short. On the RHD drive cars, the harness enters the cabin on the left side, where our brake booster is. Some have said it can be streched to fit, I haven't tried so I can't comment on that. So assume you will need to legthen the harness. There are several shielded cable wires on the harness which, in my experience, cannot just be lengthened, but need to be totally rewired from sensor to ECU. Another problem is after you have the harness at the right length, it still will not plug into the dash harness or the body harness by the fuse block under the hood. You will have to trace wires using both wiring diagrams to find out what needs to be spliced where. The wiring between the Supra cuts and Soarer cuts are also different, along with the ECU's. The Alternator for the 1j is on the right side, you will need to extend wires for it. The progessive power steering plug on the 1j harness is setup for RHD. I was able to completly remove the part of the 7m harness containg the ABS sensor plug and the PPS one. I added it into my 1j harness, and removed the 1j ones. The 1j engine harness controls a few things our 7m body harness controls. AC being one. To have the AC working, you first need to swap the top half of the 7m compressor onto the 1j compressor, this will allow the lines to bolt up, next you just use the orignal 7m body harness to control the ac, leave the 1j unplugged. Another big problem with wiring is the differences between the US spec cars. The 88 wiring is different than the 89, which is different than the 90. Mike Urbano sells modified 7m harnesses that appear to work fine. I did mine by modding the 1j harness. I would only do them if I were doing the swap itself, which at this time is not an option.

Some benifits of the 1jzgte

IC pipe routing and intake manifold design are improved, this was built as a turbo engine from the ground up.

Uses a MAP sensor based air/fuel setup

7000 RPM redline, 7200 rev limit

Stock turbos have little to no lag, very smooth powerband

Headgasket and all other gaskets are metal

Headwork was improved

Uses seperate coil packs for each plug, no plug wires.

There are many other things I cannot confirm, rumored to have forged pistons stock, ECU is supposed to be far superior.

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:05 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Majik16106
Got Drift?

Aside from the .5 liters of displacement there are a few differences. Head work is different(supposedly the 1jz is better). The 1jz is true twin and the 2jz is sequential. The 2jz blcok does bolt up to the 1jz heads, which has been done to my knowledge twice.(orin and Mike) which has been called the 1.5 jz. People often ask about what from a 2jz swaps to a 1jz, and what stays from a 7m. Ill list as many as possible. Eric, feel free to Pm me with more, ill add to the list.

7m and 1jz:
Clutch kits
Cat back Exhausts
Body kits
Wheels
Brake kits
Suspension set ups.
Interior stuff( i use the stock 7m gauges)

2jz to 1jz:
Power steering pump
Alternator
spark plugs (ngk 3330 and 6097)
550cc injectors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the injectors go, the 1j use 370cc high impendance side feed injectors stock. The jap spec 2jzgte 440cc are a straight plug and play replacement. The US spec 2jzgte injectors are 550 low impedance. They are a direct swap into the rail, but you would need to wire in the injector resistor to make them work right. See this webpage for a how-to(on a 2j, but same idea applies)
http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/articles/injectors.htm

I also used the 1jz tach into my 7m cluster. Direct fit. Doesn't have the cruise light, instead has an oil light. I don't use either, cruise was removed and didn't wire the oil light to work.

To get your stock 7m oil pressure gauge to work, you need to swap your 7m sending unit with the 1j one. You'll need to make a small adaptor to move the sensor as it's too big to fit right behind the AC compressor.

The 440's from a jap spec 2j should be able to provide enough fuel to handle anything the stock turbos can put out, even at stock fuel pressure. I had basicly a "BPU" with downpipe,intake, afc,boost controller, and an IC upgrade(although worthless on the dyno) at 15psi(no boost cut controller,couldn't go higher)it made about 330rwhp. I had the 440's in there, and was pulling out lots of fuel with the afc....

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
psy[/i] [b]i heard its illegal to use a 1jz in an ma70[/b][/quote] [quote][i]Originally posted by Idrockasupra[/i] [b]the 1jz is from japan said:

(The 1jz) is (illegal). it does not pass emmissions. any jdm engine is illegal in the usa because of emissions laws
thats y alot of jdm parts say for off-road use only

G

·
if anyone is following this thread i need to know what the codes 24 and 52 are for the 1jz. i have posted in the yahoo groups also

thanks
denver

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would assume the codes are the same as for the 7m-gte and all toyota ECU's from that age... 87 and 91 camry's have the same codes, as does a 93 tercel, 91 mr2, and 94 4X4.

G

·
1jz ma70 swap price

ive seen how much it costs to swap a 2jz into a ma70 and i think (im a big n00b) the 1jz fits into 89.5-92 supras (not hte 86.5-89) a lot easier so im wondering how much a swap would cost. im wondering for all expenses besides car and buying a clip not just the engine. thank you for your time :)

G

·
my friend was just tellin me that it wouldnt be a good idea to put a t88 on a stock 1jz cuz its only a 2 liter. what would i have to do a 1jz inorder to make it use a t88 good and so the car wont stall and shit?

G

·
my friend was just tellin me that it wouldnt be a good idea to put a t88 on a stock 1jz cuz its only a 2 liter. what would i have to do a 1jz inorder to make it use a t88 good and so the car wont stall and shit?
first off the 1jz is a 2.5 liter engine. there are kits that are made to use a t88. there is no point in doing this. the 1jz is a track engine that has an almost perfect power line. going for the larger single turbos are great for big hp numbers. but have no use in the real world, unless your going for top speed.

G

·
if anyone can help me with this i will buy you a case of whatever, i am losing the signal on the negative wires to the fuel injectors and hitting fuel cut. tested with a test light. they cut out at around 2500. sometimes i can get to redline and sometimes it cuts off!?!?!?!?! also i am stil getting the code 52, i know this can't be the problem, but does the knock sensor have any effect on fuel cut? i know it backs timing when knock is detected, but if the ecu doesn't send a signal will it cut fuel at first sign of positive man. press.???

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
convert what?

You dont convert your steering and pedals or anything. you take the engine and harness and the ECU out of the clip.

You also need a 2JZGTE power steering line, not the 2JZGE. it has to be the pressure hose, and youll also need the 2JZGTE power steering pressure hose Banjo bolt, otherwise you could very well end up w/ a leak. you can get a 2JZ Throttle cable since the original 7M cable is too long and creates too much slack. it IS possible to use the original MA70 throttle cable, but youll probably have to loop it somewhere due to the extra slack. i also hear tell the Landcruiser Throttle cable works... but take it w/ a grain of salt.

If you want to keep the AC, you have to take the Lines/block off of your original AC pump, and swap it over to the pump on the 1JZ engine. you have to modify the 7M AC receiver plate though, otherwise it wont mount up and interfere w/ the 1jz AC compressor mounting stud.

You can either use the 1JZ radiator and hydro fan. not advisable since the 1JZ radiator that came in our clip has plastic endtanks and uses a smaller rad. cap. probably honda/acura sized. you can swap the hydro fan assy to the 7M radiator but not all the mounting tabs line up w/ the bolt holes in the 7M rad. i would KEEP the hydro fan as it can move FAR more air than almost every other electric fan out there.

As far as the ECU and Harness go, youll probably have to extend it 3 feet so that you can mount the ECU on the passengerside of the car, since on the JDM clip, it was mounted where we would normally be driving.

Also, the clip where the 1JZ harness joints the JZA70 Body harness and fuse box needs to be changed out. the part of the clip on the body harness needs to be removed from the JZA70 halfcut, traced out, and spliced into your MA70's body harness. you could leave the MA70 body harness cconnector intact and simply splice the JZA70 body harness connector inline so you have a body harness that will accept the MA70 ECU harness or the JZA70 harness.

You can also, have someone else Modify the ECU harness for you, but i think it costs like $600 though.

Why the hell did the 1JZ sticky get deleted?! thats so freakin unacceptable....

·
SC400 Newb
1,438 Posts
Who cares if it is illegal? There are legal ways of passing emmisions and no one but you and your friends have to know about the swap. Boy some people are retarted.

G

·
Anyone ever heard of East Bear? They make some other body kits and other cool JDM parts. Check out this website.

http://www.santeca.com/

They can source lots of other Japan only brands. Such as Power Enterprises and HPI. HPI makes acrylic windows for the JZA/MA/GA70! Very Expensive, I guess if you want to be really cool...

Check these guys out for hard to find 1jzgte go faster parts!

G

·
I have a question..

A friend is giving me a 91 targa. It has a nice interior, good body (jst primered tho), with no motor or trans.. I am thinking about dropping a 1JZ into it, and going with MegaSquirt and MSD ignition systems so I don't have to worry about the ECU. Has anyone gone this route, and if so, what were the problems? Also, I am assuming that because the 1 and 2 J share the same J style block, the Getrag 6 speed will bolt up?

·
Banned
909 Posts
mkiii - 1jz and six-speed...

How much work am I looking at, and what things should I know before hand?

87T

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well if you are talking about the Getrag 6 spd, you need the 2JZ flywheel and clutch as well. Fitting the gearbox is not much of a drama, me and a friend 'Stenno' have measured it all up and let just say it needs the very minimal of bashing to fit if at all. Next is the speedo problem, the getrag has a electronic speedo output only so driving the mk3 speedo would be the next problem. The shifter is easy, just shorten the extension rod by about an inch and get new support brackets made up. Oh and also the tail shaft needs to be modded for the flange on the getrag. Would need some sort of slip join somewhere. Stenno is currently putting a 2JZ with 6spd into his 89 Supra.

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
Re: mkiii - 1jz and six-speed...

NavyCuda said:
How much work am I looking at,
An obscene amount of time and money.

and what things should I know before hand?
First on the list would be that the v160 doesn't fit into the ma70 tunnel. So, expect to do a lot of hammering, cuting and welding. Once you're done hammering, cutting and welding, don't expect most of the interior parts to fit.

The shifter linkage is considerably farther back on the v160, so plan on hacking the interior up.

The gear ratio in the diff is considerably different (3.7 vs. 3.1) in the mkiv, so using a v160 with a mkiii diff would make for interesting gearing.

The drive shaft is totally different (bolt on instead of slide in spline setup), so you'd have to build a custom unit.

Finally.. why would you want this combination? If you absolutely must do it, just use a 2jz. It's a better engine, and wouldn't be hard to find already mated to the v160.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts