Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Boostin
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna know so I can plan out and learn how to swap the motor. I heard the MKII swap with 7mgte is fast and I also heard the MKII with 1jzett is also fast so I wanna know which is best. Which last longer, can hold more boost and can push up to 500 HP. Thanks for any info.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
I think you mean 1JZ-GTE (I don't think there is an engine called the 1JZETT -- For one thing the 1JZ had DOHC (G) and Toyota only ever uses one T for Turbo or Twin Turbo)

Anyways, the M engines will fit easier into the MKII I believe. I've never seen a MKII with a 1JZ though.

·
Boostin
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is one..

I was just searching through supraforums and came across the thread with an mkII with the 1jz-gte he had just finish swapping his motor.

S

·
0 Posts
The 7M swap is MUCH easier.. lots of custom fabrication needed to fit a 1JZ where as a 7M is nearly a straight bolt in. The ecu/harness swaps should be similar... If ya go to Norbie.net he details swapping in a 2JZ into a MK II... a 1JZ would be nearly identical.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I wouldn't say there's "lots" of custom fabrication, but there is some which makes it a harder conversion than the 7M.

Having said that, the 1JZ is undoubtedly the superior engine. I know several people who have done the 7M -> 1JZ swap in their Mk3 Supras, and not one of them has regretted it.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
none of them have regretted it after it is finished but during the swap process alot of them do. the 1jz is superior to the 7m in all aspects as it was built from the group up as a sports car motor. has true parallel twin turbos and an amazing flowing head designed by yamaha themselves (some say even better than the 2jz head). it is true that the 7m would be an easier swap but if you're into supras are are just gonna go the "easy" route you suck. put some pride and time into the vehicle. sure the 1jz would be harder but in just bpu form it will make around 310-320 RWHP with absolutely NO turbo lag (i mean NO lag, literally). it'll be much more fun to drive and since the car is so much lighter than the MKIII, i bet it could break 12's. 1jz 1jz 1jz 1jz 1jz. ok i'm done.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
psychot|K said:
[Bin all aspects as it was built from the group up as a sports car motor. it is true that the 7m would be an easier swap but if you're into supras are are just gonna go the "easy" route you suck. put some pride and time into the vehicle. sure the 1jz would be harder but in just bpu form it will make around 310-320 RWHP with absolutely NO turbo lag (i mean NO lag, literally)[/B]
And you have what, a FIPK on a stock MKIII?

A stock 7mgte CT26 with the proper exhaust will out spool a 1jz not to mention out torque it. 320rwhp is possible with a stock CT26 and at that level the torque is usually in the high 300s to the wheels.

As for that "amazing flowing head design", remember these cars are forced-fed so the gain from larger valves is only miniscule.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Wade said:
And you have what, a FIPK on a stock MKIII?

A stock 7mgte CT26 with the proper exhaust will out spool a 1jz not to mention out torque it. 320rwhp is possible with a stock CT26 and at that level the torque is usually in the high 300s to the wheels.

As for that "amazing flowing head design", remember these cars are forced-fed so the gain from larger valves is only miniscule.
actually no, i got more than a FIPK now, my car just underwent some work.

you're actually completely wrong about the CT26. one of my friends has a high compression 7M-GE with a CT26 (which means more HP per psi of boost) he ran 14psi and made around 310-320RWHP.

and you're also completely wrong about the head flow. i've talked to several high performance turbo car owners who have had head work/porting done (basically improving the head) and they all say it drives like a completely different car.

so basically you're wrong on almost everything.

sorry, hope stuff works out better for you next time.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Comedy. I can hit boost in 5th grear at only 1700 to 1800 rpm. It's a simple displacement and piston speed issue. Give me lowend torque.

I have no doubt that the 1jz is better engineered than a 7m but it's tiny aftermarket and swap hassles/costs out weigh it's benifits. The money you spend to drop in a STOCK j1z you could spend building a nice 7m.

Of course, making the head flow better helps in HP but I haven't seen one dyno graph of a stock 7mgte with stock valves vs. one with 1mm oversizes.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Import_Eve said:
I wanna know so I can plan out and learn how to swap the motor. I heard the MKII swap with 7mgte is fast and I also heard the MKII with 1jzett is also fast so I wanna know which is best. Which last longer, can hold more boost and can push up to 500 HP. Thanks for any info.

http://www.celica-supra86.4t.com
BTW, it is not correct to refere to your MKII as a BPU++ or any BPU. The BPU designation is a MKIV Supra thing.:)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Listen the 7M-GTE is a well designed motor as is the 1JZ-GTE. They both offer their respective advantages. The 1JZ will of course feel faster than a 7M because of the power delivery. Twin Turbo versus Single Turbo. Though the 1J is at 275ish stock and the 7M is at 232 stock. Now remember the Turbo A versionin japan is a factory 7M with 275 h.p. The 7M can create gobs of H.P. as can a 1J. Now I challenge you to go to Toyota and see how easy it is to get parts for the 1J. Very hard and extremely expensive. If I had my mk2 again i would do a 7M-GTE swap in there and you would be set. Be warned you need to make sure the rest of your mk2 is ready for the power. Your used of an anemic 160hp 5M (160ish ft/lbs.). Take a STOCK 7M-GTE and you get 232hp and 256 ft/lb, and dude if your not careful you will slam that car sideways and not know what to do with it. now tell me if you think that is not enough almost a 100 more ft/lbs of torque.. If your brakes, suspension, drivetrain, and tires are all ready for that kind of power then go for it, if not do those first before anything else!

Anyhow, good luck with you decision!

joe

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have no doubt that the 1jz is better engineered than a 7m but it's tiny aftermarket and swap hassles/costs out weigh it's benifits. The money you spend to drop in a STOCK j1z you could spend building a nice 7m.
I can't agree with you more!! For a bit under $2000, my MKII 7mgte is well worth it.

·
Boost Dealer
981 Posts
having done 5 7M-GTE conversions now (at least).
do the 7M-GTE, its easier, and cheaper.

Jeff
(who will do a 1JZ-gte next because it might be fun)

·
Boostin
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok.....

My cousin and I just went and bought an 1988 maroon supra turbo 5spd for $1000 n he said that the head gasket leak oil. Well I said ok head gasket no problem then we take that beast home . Later when my dad examine the motor he said to get to the head gasket we would have to get take every thing off etc,(Turbos, intercooler pipes, intake manifold and wires). Well my dad say that swapping would take long because it cold outside so my dad said we would just replace the head and drive it. But I say since we took all that off already then it would be easy to swap but then when I compare the motor I seem diffcult to swap since I haven't swap rear wheel drive car motor before. Why can't it be easy to swap like V-tec engine.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Re: Ok.....

Import_Eve said:
My cousin and I just went and bought an 1988 maroon supra turbo 5spd for $1000 n he said that the head gasket leak oil. Well I said ok head gasket no problem then we take that beast home . Later when my dad examine the motor he said to get to the head gasket we would have to get take every thing off etc,(Turbos, intercooler pipes, intake manifold and wires). Well my dad say that swapping would take long because it cold outside so my dad said we would just replace the head and drive it. But I say since we took all that off already then it would be easy to swap but then when I compare the motor I seem diffcult to swap since I haven't swap rear wheel drive car motor before. Why can't it be easy to swap like V-tec engine.
1) Honda VTech engines won't work so don't even go there :lol:

1) Fix the headgasket and drive the MKIII.

2) Send the MKII to the crusher.

4) End of problems.

Change your sig and take the BPU thing out please.

·
greasemonkey
3,123 Posts
psychot|K said:
actually no, i got more than a FIPK now, my car just underwent some work.

you're actually completely wrong about the CT26. one of my friends has a high compression 7M-GE with a CT26 (which means more HP per psi of boost) he ran 14psi and made around 310-320RWHP.

and you're also completely wrong about the head flow. i've talked to several high performance turbo car owners who have had head work/porting done (basically improving the head) and they all say it drives like a completely different car.

so basically you're wrong on almost everything.

sorry, hope stuff works out better for you next time.

actually he was right. aparently your friends car was tuned very very poorly. i had a 60 trim upgrade on my ct26 and in any gear i hit my boost setting of 10psi by ~2300rpm. i also could break the tires loose pretty good shifting to 4th. even when on the stock ct26 at 8psi i could go easily sideways in third gear. and the turbo made the max boost at about 2krpm in 1st gear. all i had was an hks smf, 3in o2 elbow, dp, and exhaust. thats it.
william

·
greasemonkey
3,123 Posts
Re: Ok.....

Import_Eve said:
i did my 7mgte swap in 4 days. whats so hard about it? takes about an hour to pull the 5mge out of the mkii, about an hr and a half to pull the 7mgte from the mkiiit(trannys attached of coarse). then about an hr to pull the head. take it and have it machined. clean the block deck up. install a hks mhg and tq to 75lb/ft, and put the intake and turbo etc.. back on the motor. maybe another 2hrs if you take your sweet time(not counting the machine work on the head.). then about 1hr to swap the motor mounts, flywheel and clutch, 5m fuel filter, etc.. about 30min to drop the 7mgte in and bolt up the 3 mounts. then its the wiring. depending on your wiring skill as to how long this will cost or take. also, the i/c piping and i/c mounting usually will take about an hr. 2 hr's if you remove the front bumper cover.
william

·
Boostin
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Re: Ok.....

williamb82 said:
i did my 7mgte swap in 4 days.

It is good that you did your in 4 day but did you ever think about the weather? The weather can slow you down because it is too cold here to out side except for these past few day. And we began to take the head off and put an new one on. Took 2 hours to take off everything because we don't want to miss anything. After that we went to AutoZone, Checker, and Napa and they don't have an metal head gasket for the 5m-Ge but they have it for the 7mg-te and the 7m-ge only. So we then went to the toyota dealer in Maplewood and they said it would come in two week so for right now we are cleaning the oil off from th cam shaft and rechecking any piston or valve spring to see if any of them are bad. Oh yea does any one has any picture of the 7m-gte incase we might place the wires in the wrong place or don't know which parts goes where . Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: Re: Ok.....

Wade said:
1) Honda VTech engines won't work so don't even go there :lol:

you mean Vtec :biggrin:

Vtech is the phone, lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts