Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1jzgte......

I am not at all familiar with this motor. Does it have the same mounts as the 5mge ? Tranny bolt up ? Also what kind of output does this motor have ..... hp. torque. @ rpm ? Im planning a 7mgte or 2jzgte in my 85, but this looks sweet in your car. I am always up for a different option. Keep us posted on the new perfomance of that old girl.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The 1JZ-GTE is pretty much a short-stroke version of the 2JZ-GTE. It displaces 2.5 litres with a 71.5mm stroke. Max power is a Jap-regulated 280hp, and torque is 269 lb-ft at 4800rpm. Later model versions have VVTi and develop 278 lb-ft at only 2400rpm, which would have to make it an incredibly flexible engine.

The engine is pretty much the same as a 2JZ-GTE externally, except that it is a little shorter. This could be a significant factor when installing one in a Mk2 - I'm not sure if I'll be able to close the bonnet when I've finished my 2JZ-GTE conversion, but there shouldn't be any problems with a 1JZ-GTE.

The early versions of the 1JZ-GTE have a pair of CT12A turbos, which are similar to the CT12B's on the Jap-spec 2JZ-GTE but have smaller wheels. The turbos operate in parallel, meaning they don't have the complex sequential system implemented on the 2JZ-GTE. VVTi engines have a big single turbo, I'm not sure of its designation though.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1jzgte......

Let me know how it all goes together. I am interested in doing a transplant in my 85' , and the 1jz seems like it would be quite a bit better to start with than a 7mgte.
Later
Chris

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Re: 1jzgte......

cableguy529 said:
Let me know how it all goes together. I am interested in doing a transplant in my 85' , and the 1jz seems like it would be quite a bit better to start with than a 7mgte.
IIRC there weren't any cars shipped to the US that used the 1JZ-GTE, so getting parts would be non-trivial.

I'd go with the 7M-GTE if I were you.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
7mgte

I found a 7mgte with tranny,ecu, and wiring harness today for 600 bucks........ >8o)
its not a JDM motor, but who cares..... 600 bucks is friggin cheap

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: 7mgte

cableguy529 said:
I found a 7mgte with tranny,ecu, and wiring harness today for 600 bucks........ >8o)
its not a JDM motor, but who cares..... 600 bucks is friggin cheap
you're welcome spanky!

actually, matt told me about it today when i walked into the shop.

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
Ill take the above post a step further. Will the 1JZ pass all of California's smog inspections? [/B]
Not unless you are buddies with the smog guy. Or you can pay the smog guy off (typically anywhere from $300 to $1000+ and highly illegal). Any engine that is newer than the transplant car and was a legal CA emissions certified engine is fair game. So since the 1JZ never even made it to the US let alone CA, it ain't legal. 2JZ would be legal along with the 7MGTE and 7MGE.

·
There can only be one!
1,604 Posts
what would need ot be done to the engine to make it pass? or is there any way to get around it, besides paying off people?

thanks!
mike.

·
Registered
717 Posts
maybe it's just me, but it sounds like you are asking for trouble wanting a 1jz. smog is one problem, parts are another. i'd say it would be easier to get the 2jz and a custom hood. even easier would to get a 7m-gte, build it up strong, and air/fuel/turbo upgrades to reach the same HP as the -jz's

·
Registered
427 Posts
I concur: if you live in the US, a 2JZ is probably the best way to go. After all, you have full parts support from Toyota that way. Here in Australia, it makes no difference either way - the 1JZ wasn't sold here and neither was the 2JZ.

Here's an update on the 2JZ install: with the engine in place, the bonnet will close. It's a very tight fit, but there won't be any need for modifications. There's a chance I may have to shorten the super-long throttle body, but that's no big deal - the second throttle butterfly is redundant anyway since I have disabled the traction control.

·
There can only be one!
1,604 Posts
hey norbie,
ive seen your posts on the yahoo mk2 board, but could i get some more info on that 2JZ? how different is it form the 7m? i think itd be great to get it done here in the US hehe... how much horsepower could you get from the motor without chassis problems or anything?

thanks!
mike.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
altimasupra said:
hey norbie,
ive seen your posts on the yahoo mk2 board, but could i get some more info on that 2JZ? how different is it form the 7m? i think itd be great to get it done here in the US hehe... how much horsepower could you get from the motor without chassis problems or anything?
The 2JZ-GTE is the engine in the Supra TT...

There's tons of information here. I suggest you go read everything available at www.mkiv.com and do some searches here.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The motor mounts are still a work in progress, but it shouldn't be any more than a week now. We're using diesel Landcruiser rubber blocks in conjunction with the cast alloy brackets that came with the 2JZ. So it's just a matter of welding up little platforms to bolt the rubber blocks to, about 1" above the crossmember.

The gearbox crossmember bolts up to the Supra floorpan with NO modifications. How cool is that! Unfortunately the big rubber donut thing on the end of the transmission is too big to fit inside the transmission tunnel, so we're going to have to replace it with a conventional spline arrangement. It looks like we might be able to use the extension housing from a Mk3 Supra transmission and just bolt it up to the Aristo transmission. If that works I won't even have to modify the tailshaft. Sweet!! More investigation is required, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The oil pan from an Aristo 2JZ is exactly the right shape to fit over a Mk2 crossmember. I don't know if a Supra 2JZ has the same arrangement as I've never seen one up close.

Altimasupra: the 2JZ is totally different to the 7M. They have nothing in common at all, apart from overall configuration (ie 3.0 litre inline six).

·
There can only be one!
1,604 Posts
sorry, guess i shouldve been more clear in my question. hehe,
i know what the 2JZ is, ive learned quite a bit about it from these boards... what i meant to say was, can i get some more info on YOUR transplant, just to get an idea of how much work it will be...
and how much HP can i put into the engine without causing chassis problems? BPU, etc...

thanks!
mike.
--orange 83--

·
Registered
427 Posts
Go to my web site to get more info on my 2JZ transplant. There's not much there yet, but I'm only part of the way through the conversion, so there's not much to say! I can't really answer your questions until the whole thing is up and running.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts