Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Although traditionally a Nissan man, I am planning to possibly put a Toyota engine into my prestine 76 260Z coupe.

I am tossing up between the above mentioned engines, although feel that I dont know enough about them yet. i.e there strengths, weaknesses, weight etc etc.

I can get a 2JZ for 4000AUD or a 1JZ for 1500AUD. I would like to be able to make upto about 400WRHP (and maybe even more one day?) and was wondering if either of these engines would be equally up to the task? I would also like something which is going to be somewhat reliable and not blowing headgaskets every 50,000 miles.

Whats the rap on these engines ?

Cheers
Ray

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if money is not an issue, go for the 2jz. it is a more powerful engine and newer, but much more expensive. I would recommend
The 7MGTE as it is far more common, easier to get parts for, and you can get 400 horses out of em pretty easily and stil have a daily driver if you want. Any of these motors will be reliable as long as you retorque the heads, and provide proper maintenance. I doubt you will find a better motor than a toyota.
You might also want to consider a r154 tranny out of any 87-92
5 spd turbo supra. Probably for close to the same price as trying to adapt a nissan tranny, you could just bolt on one of these. This tranny is bullit proof, and can easily take 600 rwhp. You Probably will have to mod alittle to make it fit though. good luck.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 7mgte equipped 88 Supra and it's a good engine,capable of easily 550RWHP. But I blew my headgasket 2 months after getting it. Also this is a 3 liter motor that is pretty big to fit into a 260Z. The best bet probalby is the 1JZTE it is a smaller higher reving engine, but it is faster than a 7MGTE (232hp vs 275hp). The 2JZTE is still an amazing engine capable of over 1,000HP.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
HybridZ.org

Kalium, I'm not sure which engine is better but if you're into the older Zs join us over at HTTP://HybridZ.org for tons of good information on making these bad boys run hard! I'm trying to get someone interested in one of the Supra TT motors but no one has risen to the challenge yet (lol). Anyway, if you've not already found the premier site for swapping most anything into the engine bay of a Z come check us out. VERY friendly group who pass no judgements on what you drive or what you propose to drop between the fenderwells. Much more accepting that the purists over on ZCAR!

Z'Ya!

·
Registered
458 Posts
The 1jz is probably the best way to go for reliability and price, especially for your project. Plus it's almost an identical setup to the 2jz, just a little less displacement, and just as easy to hit over 400rwhp. Definitely less head gasket problems that the 7m line and parts should be easily accessible for you down under...

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is a 240 or 260z on ebay with the 2jz motor for sale checkit out

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
kalium said:
Hey,

Although traditionally a Nissan man, I am planning to possibly put a Toyota engine into my prestine 76 260Z coupe.

I am tossing up between the above mentioned engines, although feel that I dont know enough about them yet. i.e there strengths, weaknesses, weight etc etc.

I can get a 2JZ for 4000AUD or a 1JZ for 1500AUD. I would like to be able to make upto about 400WRHP (and maybe even more one day?) and was wondering if either of these engines would be equally up to the task? I would also like something which is going to be somewhat reliable and not blowing headgaskets every 50,000 miles.

Whats the rap on these engines ?

Cheers
Ray
I read this post and couldn't help but ask, have you considered maybe vg30det or vg30de engine. These are found in the 300 z. the det is turbo and the de is na. I have seen a guy with an old z car w/the n/a vg30de engine and he was fast as hell. When I asked him why he didn't go with the turbo 300zx, he replied, "you kidding, I don't need it, I'm already fast enough.' I like to think of it like this, if you got a toyota than go with a toyota engine, if you have a nissan go with a nissan engine. thats just me though.
btw, you could also look into gettin an rb series engine, otherwise known as the skyline gtr engines!

·
Thinking Person
1,533 Posts
because the only VG series engine worth getting is the VG30ET, the DET is unreliable and has many problems like fuel leaking, cooling system is crap, etc...

my 300zxTT is a pile of shit and so is every other Z32 that I've come across... putting a V6 into a car designed for an inline is a sacrilege... it'd be like putting a Tacoma V6 into a Supra :rolleyes:
if all else, grab a 280zx turbo motor and drop it in; they can handle a lot of power on the stock bottom end, they are very simple, and very cheap

putting a reliable, incredibly strong, and proven motor into a lightweight 260Z is just perfect... I'd go with the 1jz or 2jz... both are amazing motors and will make you plenty happy... although the 1jz does sound better :)

go read hybridz's creed... the excuse that nissan parts should go with nissan cars is looked down upon :) hell the site started off for chevy V8 swaps and expanded into various turbo motors including the Grand National motor and even the RB26

·
BIGTHIRSTY
21 Posts
I can't believe he's been around here for that long and doesn't know whats better and more reliable. Maybe he really is here just to cause problems. :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts