Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you all think. Which motor is better and why? and which engine creats more power reliably? What has the best torque curve, so and and so forth. Is it fair to directly compare these engines to one another?

The reason I ask is that my mate had a 300ZX TT with the VG30DETT and boy did it pump some power with bolt on mods. Im still just trying to get an idea of the 1JZ's power levels.

Thanks in advance.

At least I know the 1JZ is more reliable then a VG30DETT....that thing was always breaking.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey opinions are cool, but facts are btter for research.

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
two very different animals..

If 400hp is your goal, then you can get that from either motor for about the same price.. Anything over 400hp and the 1J wins for cost & reliability. The VG IMO is like a 7M, a truck motor trifked out to pwer a sportscar. :)

Also, with a VG you get double the fun when it comes to installing mods because on almost everything aftermarket, two of whatever you are installing are required.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
MattOneDime said:

Also, with a VG you get double the fun when it comes to installing mods because on almost everything aftermarket, two of whatever you are installing are required.
not to mention they are a bitch to work on and you will end up pulling the motor to swap out turbos.

1jz > vg30

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
1J > VG
Greater reliability, easier to get power, MUCH easier to work on. If you're doin your own work, you'll definitely want the 1J.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Inlines 6 engines are also way smoother. You can make lots of hp with a vg, but who likes working on a v type engine? I sure dont.

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
no way man nissan all teh way h0mies :p

·
hooligan
475 Posts
VG will have more torque, but the 1j will slap it around in every other category. Something about that undersquare stroke on the 1j and being built ground up to be a turbo motor.

And agreed on the difficulty of working on any VG motor. 300z's are awesome cars, but I think it would take some effort to cram a whole delux sized box of toothpicks under the hood. Great engineering, but not so much fun to mod.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
What's the most power you have seen out of a stock block VG30?

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
400-500... after that, there is a cooling problem that comes into play. there is an inherent casting flaw in the block itself. there seems to be excess casting flash in th ecooling jacket of the rear cylinders which prevents sufficent cooling and will lead to obvious overheating problems under high HP levels where excess heat needs to be removed. something i found out from JWT when they were building an "INSANE 500hp 300ZX".

lets not forget they come stock w/ TB25's, about as small as our stock turbos. they have no O2 housing to speak of, the intake manifolds cover the cyliner heads and is a pain in the ass to do spark plugs on. also, the fact that they can blow HG's too. then there is also this whole thing about twin Tb's and the need to make sure they are synchronized. many people over look it, but you have one throttl cable driving the driverside TB and there is a linkage joining the passengerside TB. most o the time, its out of adjustment and doesnt open fully. the other think is the fuel system is a maze of tubing running back and forth across th emanifolds. also, there is a gay ass "Pressure balance tube" that connects both manifolds. why? because both banks of the engine are COMPLETELY independant of eachother. the VG30DETT is essentially two 3-cylinder motors connected by a 5/8" balance tube and hodge podge of fuel lines. also, good luck finding a wire harness that wont fal apart when you touch it. the underhood area is so cramped and poorly ventilated that the insulation and connectors become so baked and brittle, they all break the moment you try to take them off the engine. and it would take you a full day of labor to replace all the coolant hoses on it, including required removal of the fragile wire harness.

sometimes, i cant beleive how irrational z guys are. its like they ENJOY the frustration and greif.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Never blown any head gaskets here, actaully never even heard of them going.... Check out 300zxclub or tt.net for more facts on the VG30DETT not opinions. Ive seen 600hp on stock blocks, Besides the vg30dett comes with a better looking car..lol

·
Registered
929 Posts
Z's are overall nice car's (its just because i have one) :). I'm really not looking for crazy horsepower around 500-600hp. but just an nice turbo cat-back will do just fine. Although, the engine is to much of a hassle to work on, but proper maintance is the key. I hope. haha..

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a 300ZX NA, 1990 5-speed. I agree with just about everything said on this thread except the blown Head Gaskets. I am on the Z boards and there ain't a big BHG problem.

However, It is a royal PITA to work on. Even the NA. Everything is underneath. Spark plugs are really not hard though. A few pieces to take off and they come right out. I will not take this thing TT ever, too much of a pain to work on now. Don't need to, it is a suprisingly fast NA. Right now, I have a leaking power steering pump and can't even see where the leak is. I have tried on a rack and by pulling the intake tubes and looking down inside. Just stupid design! The pump is right over my alternator and wiped it out as well. Now I have two impossible to get out things to change.

From a power standpoint, the VG30 motor is pretty sweet. One of the smoothest power curves I have seen.

That is why I can't wait to get the 1JZ running, I hear it is the same in smoothness and I think overall better design due to all metal gaskets, turbo placement and reliability.

My .02

Marty

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
yo someone shuld swap a 1j in a 300zx...that wuld be siiiiiiick!! :p

·
Registered
543 Posts
Been there, done that! Bought the tee shirt

JonnyRedline said:
yo someone shuld swap a 1j in a 300zx...that wuld be siiiiiiick!! :p
It has also been done with a 2JZ and single turbo. Very traction limited, I must say.

Orin B

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very very intersting thread. I've worked on the VG motors before and DAMN they are tight! I havnt heard much info on HG difficutlies, but yes there is some sort of cooling problem.

Im for the 1JZ however through and through, but second to a supra I like 300zx's........quite popular in Aus.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i always thought the vg was nissan's ugly stepchild of all thier turbo motors. they only came in the z/fairlady's and they were very limited with thier tiny turbo's. also in higher hp levels they had bearing problems since two rods shared one crank journal, just like most other v6 engines. 1jz is where it's at all the way. inline six=smooth power undersquare design= long power band longer block= puts more weight of drivetrain towards center line of vehicle and the 1j was only designed as a turbo motor, it was never an n/a design adapted for turbo pressure. it was designed right from the very conception. just my opinion, feel free to argue

1 - 20 of 32 Posts