Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been getting some PM's about this setup so I thought I'd post some pictures now and update it later with results.

I used ignition coils from an 04 Corolla which are "smart" coils with built in igniters. I ditched the stock igniter by soldering the wires together and wired in these coils using the stock harness.

The coils have 4 wires (12v, ground, tach, trigger). I used the stock 12v and trigger wiring and ran a ground from each coil to the head. As you can see, they fit under the stock cover nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Never had good luck with those coils on the original or in 3S-GTE applications. The coils are also prone to leaking. They can't handle a lot of heat. On the other hand the ND Honda S2000 coils do support 1000whp on a 2jz running E85! :)

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
My 1ZZ coils have been revved to 9,000rpm. 2.5ms dwell.

GOOD coils.

·
Finally up and running!
3,997 Posts
Would you recommend these over LS2 coils? My new engine management choice is forcing me to either get a new ignitor or switch to a smart coil like a 1zz or LS2/LQ9 coil.

·
Super Moderator
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would 100% recommend this setup over an LS coil.

Had the car tuned last Friday on the dyno. We made over 30 pulls over 700 whp without a single issue on E85. I ended the night at 811 whp.

Just to recap, I got rid of the stock igniter, the HKS DLI and the stock coils. I sold the old parts for $500 and I bought the 1ZZ-FE coils for $60 and spent $10 on hardware to install them. Who knows if it's an improvement over stock but I got rid of multiple failure points and simplified the system :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
you gonna give me a little credit for helpin ya with it.... gee lol i had that same setup on the system in texas last year and yes... .034 plug gap at 36psi no problem.

·
Finally up and running!
3,997 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
do you know if these coils do their own dwell calcs and just require a logic signal? The oem gte ignitor is NOT smart and requires dwell control from whatever standalone is hooked up. If they are smart/internal dwell, they might still work with the OEM ecu too.

·
Super Moderator
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you have to modify the stems/boot at all for them to fit on the 2jz? My understanding is that LQ9 coils (LS2 coils with an additional heatsink) fit with just swapping the boot to the stem.

See here:
http://my.is/forums/f114/engine-under-construction-396034/index3.html#post6283787
No, I didn't modify the boots.

do you know if these coils do their own dwell calcs and just require a logic signal? The oem gte ignitor is NOT smart and requires dwell control from whatever standalone is hooked up. If they are smart/internal dwell, they might still work with the OEM ecu too.
You are right, these coils should work with the OEM ECU.

·
Finally up and running!
3,997 Posts
I hope these coils will work well with MS3, I just got a set of 4 on ebay w/ clips and pigtails, waiting for more to show up in the same condition.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts