Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thomas, I have two questions for you. First one should be fairly easy, I have a three way Diamond Audio Hex set up. 6.5, 4, and tweets. In my old car I had them with the 4's and tweets in a kickpanel and the 6.5's in the door. This worked out well but Im not willing to spend that kind of cash right now for the kicks in the Supra, plus that panel always got in the way. Right now I have the 4's in the doors, the tweets in the platic panels in the kick facing at an angle somewhat condusive for imaging, and the 6.5's in the back speaker location. I still have them crossed over the same way I had them when they were all up front in my old car. Should I build a small enclosure for the 4's and the 6.5's instead of having them thrown in there with no enclosure? Also should I keeop the 6.5 crossed over as just a mid bass driver with it being seperated in the back by itself? Any suggestions would be appreciated. My second thing is I want to put some subs in the back. Would it be possible to get either a 10" of maybe 2 8" subs on the sides where the foam pieces are without removing the spare. There seems to be alot of room, both depth and width, on the drivers side, and a little less on the pass. side where the jack set is(there is much less depth on this side). I have had people tell me that the Kicker L7 8's actually pound pretty good and have real low air specs. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

·
651 Posts
If you aren't wanting to go through the trouble of having the 4" and the tweets placed in the kicks along with the 6" midbass in the door (The best locations for the speakers IMO) I would think that almost anything else is a serious compromise of what that setup is designed for. If you are in a bind, it is somewhat easy to cut and fabricate the 6" mid onto the factory housing. (Just have to use a bit of fibergass and a wood mounting ring) If you don't want to go through the trouble of mounting them where they as most ideal, leave them where they are. I do not recommend running the 6" midbass "full range". It is not designed to do that and may not last too long.

As far as a sub enclousure, the foam to the left and right of the spare does not leave much depth and I believe a much better location for subs is where the factory 5x7 sub is at. It is possible to build a box rather easily, for either 2-8" subs or even a single 10". Using this location will keep all the tools and spare still intact along with giving you serious bass. What good is having the spare if you have all the tools removed to change it?

Call me or post again if you want a better explanation.

Tom Kenyon
Custom Sounds
San Antonio, Texas
210-340-4000

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thomas, I pretty much figured that would be your answer on the front speakers, and you have a good point on not having tools to change the tire if theyre removed. I didnt know that I could fit a sub enclosure where the factory 5x7 is, or was in my car( I took it out). What would you suggest, 2 8's or a single 10". Also would that enclosure be low enough to fit the targa top in still? Last question, would you be interested in building the box for me and ship it out? If so let me know and give me a ballpark $$ amount. Thanks, Jeff

·
651 Posts
We charge $325 for a box that houses either one 10" sub or 2 8" subs. It fits down in the stock sub location and maintains the targa top storage and all the spare tire hardware/tire. Two 8's will more than likely be the better option but will cost more. Both options have their advantages and disadvantages. The kind of sound will also be determined on the subs used and the power put to them.

I can provide you with a few list members that have had the same box built and they will give you an unbiased opinion I am sure.

It is a very complex box to build, trust me.

Tom Kenyon
Custom Sounds
San Antonio, Texas
210-340-4000

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thomas, I am definitely interested in going this route with the sub box, is there any way that you can e mail me some pics of both the 2 8, or single 10 boxes, preferably installed in the cars. If you can let me know, thanks, Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts