Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
S.T.A.R.S.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, a week ago I had a small hole leak in a coolant hose ( the little one under the housing for the thermostat)

Anyways, coolant got EVERYWHERE under the hood, including on the distributor.

After this happened I replaced the hose and I was driving to my GFs house and hte car starts to misfire and the temp gauge would stutter and shoot to C when I hit the gas. A co-worker said it was the sensor located above the thermostat housing and to the right. We put WD-40 on the connector and this temporarily fixed it, it still does it now and then for hte past week.

The other problem is that still, the car runs fine when its cool, but it gets a little hot and starts to badly misfire, I dont get a check engine light nor do I know which cyl is misfiring. I replaced the plugs not to long ago but not the wires, cap or dist. Is it possible the coolant leak caused all of this? If so, why is it only when it gets hot?

Also what is that sensor called that I mentioned earlier? I went looking for one and I tried a coolant temp sensor (not it, unless they were morons at the parts store) and they said it probably was the Cold Temp Start Switch but its $96! and they didnt have one for me to compare it.

Anyways, I greatly appreciate all the help I can get, I have to use this car for work and everything else.

BTW its a 1986.5 3.0 Non-Turbo 7M-GE

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Your problem is this and only this:
You have coolant inside the spark plug valley. When the engine's cool, the plugs will fire normally. Once it heats up, the resistance to the plugs increases slightly, and the spark would rather take a shortcut, and ground to the cylinder head. This is currently happening to me, but I haven't had time to fix it. Take off your upper intake pipe, throttle linkage bracket, spark plug wires, and if possible, your sparkplug valley cover(it's also known as the #3 valve cover. Remove your spark plugs, and dry out every nook and cranny in that area. Also, check the condition of your sparkplug wire boots- If they've cracked, you'll end up getting a misfire as well.
Hope I'm right, seeing as how smugly and confidently I claimed to know wassup
: )

·
S.T.A.R.S.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
alright, this sounds more than possible to be my issue, thank you so much, Im gonna take care of this tomrrow after work hopefully.

also, forgot to mention, Im on a friends account, the guy who sold me this car. Im coming from a domestic line so Im new to imports but I gotta say I do love this car and cant wait to put the 7m-gte engine I have waiting for it in. Im learning quick but any and all help is appreciated.

Anyone wanna help me get an account now? I registered but it never went through.

·
function > form
512 Posts
Got_TT? said:
Anyone wanna help me get an account now? I registered but it never went through.
You might just have to request to have another confirmation email sent to you. If you notice, my account was made in November. I didn't get the account activation email till I requested another one.

·
S.T.A.R.S.
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made anohter post about it, but it turns out the 1 - 4 plugs were soaked in oil... I really dont have money for this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts