Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering if i can use a 2 step to build a little boost when i launch my car.
i am on stock fuel and a 67 mm .81 ar, and map ecu.
1st ? can it be run with this set up?
2nd ? does it cause any premature wear on the motor?
3rd ? would it actually do me any good or would it just be for intimidation :bigthumb:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
1. Yes it will run perfectly fine with your setup.

2. Nope, causes less wear then running it down the track. Although it could be argued that if a spark cut 2-step is used, the unburnt fuel could wash down the cylinder walls. I think this is minimal and nothing to worry about.

3. On regular street tires, it will do you no good. On nice drag radials or slicks, and a good clutch, you'll giggle every time you launch it. Yes, it is a huge help in getting the car off the line.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I have a 300zx TT and I use a 2 step religously. I cut consistant 1.6x 60fts and build around 7psi of boost off the line launching at 4k. If our track at least had some prep work I know I could cut 1.5s with ease. Of course I still have stock turbo so they will build boost fast.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,786 Posts
I have a 2-step installed but never acually used it at the track when I went down. My best was 1.58 60 foot without it, this is a 6-speed with GT42r with slicks. The main reason why I guess I havent used it is that the car launches fine without it, it almost always spins off the line to a good 60' as long as I did a quick slip at high rpm's.

Lawrence
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks guys i just got the car and havn't really had a good chance to try it out much.
i am just looking for options to overcome the poor responce of a large turbo.
all your responses are appreciated.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
any sugestions on the best 2 step to use?
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
4,933 Posts
braddman said:
My first time at the track I had the 2 step set for 5600rpm and I slipped the clutch off the 2 step and managed a 1.960ft. I loved it.

Heat the tires REALLy good though, or all they will do is spin.
Exactly same result I had. I wasn't even trying to set the world on fire yet but the 2 step made it easy to just slip the clutch and get an alright 60.
 

· One Fast Supra
Joined
·
601 Posts
93 twintrbo said:
I have a 2-step installed but never acually used it at the track when I went down. My best was 1.58 60 foot without it, this is a 6-speed with GT42r with slicks. The main reason why I guess I havent used it is that the car launches fine without it, it almost always spins off the line to a good 60' as long as I did a quick slip at high rpm's.

Lawrence
Lawrence,

I have never used my two step at the track either. I was wondering how high do you rev the car when you launch. The best I have been able to cut on my old setup was a 1.7 on 17" drag radials. I am planning on going to the 15" setup and should be able to launch harder and get better 60'. Its been a long time since I have driven my supra (3yrs) and I will be coming out with a GT42R so our setup should be similar. I am going to have two step capability and guess I should teach myself to use it, but I wanted to know on just launching it normally.

Thanks,
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,081 Posts
T6Rocket said:
If you are on stock ECU, there is only one - Phillip Long two-step! There is one other option, but requires multiple MSD boxes and about $1100!

Al
Not entirely true. I know you can get a 2step on the Race Logic Traction Control device for about the same price and still use the stock ECU.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,786 Posts
onenrg1 said:
Lawrence,

I have never used my two step at the track either. I was wondering how high do you rev the car when you launch. The best I have been able to cut on my old setup was a 1.7 on 17" drag radials. I am planning on going to the 15" setup and should be able to launch harder and get better 60'. Its been a long time since I have driven my supra (3yrs) and I will be coming out with a GT42R so our setup should be similar. I am going to have two step capability and guess I should teach myself to use it, but I wanted to know on just launching it normally.

Thanks,
I ran the 28x10.50-15 et drags. Honestly I pretty much just drop the clutch at around 7k rpm's and it launches like crazy. Keep in mind that my suspension is not set up for drag racing. If I try to launch it any lower it will just hook and bog. I used to quick slip out of the hole but it definately gets out better when you spin them off the line. I am by no means an experienced drag racer, but with my limited drag experience this is what worked for me.

Lawrence
 

· One Fast Supra
Joined
·
601 Posts
93 twintrbo said:
I ran the 28x10.50-15 et drags. Honestly I pretty much just drop the clutch at around 7k rpm's and it launches like crazy. Keep in mind that my suspension is not set up for drag racing. If I try to launch it any lower it will just hook and bog. I used to quick slip out of the hole but it definately gets out better when you spin them off the line. I am by no means an experienced drag racer, but with my limited drag experience this is what worked for me.

Lawrence
I figured it was about 6500 that you were launching it. The tires you are using are a lot stickier so I think you can get lucky with that fact and not have to slip it as much. I can't wait to get back out there with my new setup. Thanks for the info.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top