Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering if i can use a 2 step to build a little boost when i launch my car.
i am on stock fuel and a 67 mm .81 ar, and map ecu.
1st ? can it be run with this set up?
2nd ? does it cause any premature wear on the motor?
3rd ? would it actually do me any good or would it just be for intimidation :bigthumb:

· Registered
567 Posts
1. Yes it will run perfectly fine with your setup.

2. Nope, causes less wear then running it down the track. Although it could be argued that if a spark cut 2-step is used, the unburnt fuel could wash down the cylinder walls. I think this is minimal and nothing to worry about.

3. On regular street tires, it will do you no good. On nice drag radials or slicks, and a good clutch, you'll giggle every time you launch it. Yes, it is a huge help in getting the car off the line.

· Registered
8 Posts
I have a 300zx TT and I use a 2 step religously. I cut consistant 1.6x 60fts and build around 7psi of boost off the line launching at 4k. If our track at least had some prep work I know I could cut 1.5s with ease. Of course I still have stock turbo so they will build boost fast.

· Registered
3,786 Posts
I have a 2-step installed but never acually used it at the track when I went down. My best was 1.58 60 foot without it, this is a 6-speed with GT42r with slicks. The main reason why I guess I havent used it is that the car launches fine without it, it almost always spins off the line to a good 60' as long as I did a quick slip at high rpm's.

Lawrence

· Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks guys i just got the car and havn't really had a good chance to try it out much.
i am just looking for options to overcome the poor responce of a large turbo.
all your responses are appreciated.

· Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
any sugestions on the best 2 step to use?

· Premium Member
4,933 Posts
braddman said:
My first time at the track I had the 2 step set for 5600rpm and I slipped the clutch off the 2 step and managed a 1.960ft. I loved it.

Heat the tires REALLy good though, or all they will do is spin.
Exactly same result I had. I wasn't even trying to set the world on fire yet but the 2 step made it easy to just slip the clutch and get an alright 60.

· One Fast Supra
601 Posts
93 twintrbo said:
I have a 2-step installed but never acually used it at the track when I went down. My best was 1.58 60 foot without it, this is a 6-speed with GT42r with slicks. The main reason why I guess I havent used it is that the car launches fine without it, it almost always spins off the line to a good 60' as long as I did a quick slip at high rpm's.

Lawrence
Lawrence,

I have never used my two step at the track either. I was wondering how high do you rev the car when you launch. The best I have been able to cut on my old setup was a 1.7 on 17" drag radials. I am planning on going to the 15" setup and should be able to launch harder and get better 60'. Its been a long time since I have driven my supra (3yrs) and I will be coming out with a GT42R so our setup should be similar. I am going to have two step capability and guess I should teach myself to use it, but I wanted to know on just launching it normally.

Thanks,

· Registered
4,081 Posts
T6Rocket said:
If you are on stock ECU, there is only one - Phillip Long two-step! There is one other option, but requires multiple MSD boxes and about $1100!

Al
Not entirely true. I know you can get a 2step on the Race Logic Traction Control device for about the same price and still use the stock ECU.

· Registered
3,786 Posts
onenrg1 said:
Lawrence,

I have never used my two step at the track either. I was wondering how high do you rev the car when you launch. The best I have been able to cut on my old setup was a 1.7 on 17" drag radials. I am planning on going to the 15" setup and should be able to launch harder and get better 60'. Its been a long time since I have driven my supra (3yrs) and I will be coming out with a GT42R so our setup should be similar. I am going to have two step capability and guess I should teach myself to use it, but I wanted to know on just launching it normally.

Thanks,
I ran the 28x10.50-15 et drags. Honestly I pretty much just drop the clutch at around 7k rpm's and it launches like crazy. Keep in mind that my suspension is not set up for drag racing. If I try to launch it any lower it will just hook and bog. I used to quick slip out of the hole but it definately gets out better when you spin them off the line. I am by no means an experienced drag racer, but with my limited drag experience this is what worked for me.

Lawrence

· One Fast Supra
601 Posts
93 twintrbo said:
I ran the 28x10.50-15 et drags. Honestly I pretty much just drop the clutch at around 7k rpm's and it launches like crazy. Keep in mind that my suspension is not set up for drag racing. If I try to launch it any lower it will just hook and bog. I used to quick slip out of the hole but it definately gets out better when you spin them off the line. I am by no means an experienced drag racer, but with my limited drag experience this is what worked for me.

Lawrence
I figured it was about 6500 that you were launching it. The tires you are using are a lot stickier so I think you can get lucky with that fact and not have to slip it as much. I can't wait to get back out there with my new setup. Thanks for the info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.