Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats everyone's go to for a 2 step?

Also, I am considering a new turbo for this winter. Looking at moving to possibly E85 since my local supra shop said that a reliable 650whp isn't possible on Pump gas. Key word there is reliable. does anyone on here disagree with that? they are pretty well know in the supra community. Accelerated Performance in Toledo Ohio is the shop.

for the Turbo what is everyone here running thats done an upgrade or recently purchase a new turbo? my Current setup can support 600-650whp (fuel ect) my current turbo is an old T67 ball bearing turbo. Im running 18lbs and it was tuned by John Reed and dynod at 480whp on 91.

TIA

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Do you plan on drag racing at the track with a drag tire set up? If not a 2 step should be very low in priority.

Reactions: figgie

·
Registered
36 Posts
AP is a pretty big name I'd listen to what they say. E85 would make 650WHP easy on a 62MM-67MM turbo. As far as reliability goes Borg Warner and Garrett are tough to beat.

As far as 2 Step goes your standalone should provide that function unless you're running the old ABC soup? I personally wouldn't mess with those little 2 step boxes, I'd get a standalone ECU that provides that function.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AP is a pretty big name I'd listen to what they say. E85 would make 650WHP easy on a 62MM-67MM turbo. As far as reliability goes Borg Warner and Garrett are tough to beat.

As far as 2 Step goes your standalone should provide that function unless you're running the old ABC soup? I personally wouldn't mess with those little 2 step boxes, I'd get a standalone ECU that provides that function.
Thanks for the input. Yeah I am taking it there for another tune this week or next hopefully and to discuss the direction of the car. I just got it so i know very little about the Motec M130 EMS. I do know its brand new (just installed and tuned about 4 months before i got the car)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're running a Motec you're good to go lol, they can pretty much setup whatever you want.
Thanks. Yeah from everything ive read its the best EMS. I'll look into the turbos you mentioned. thanks again.

If anyone else has a current set up (turbo wise) thats pushing around 625-650whp i would be curious to hear what you're running and why. hitting boost (RPM's) how streetable is it? likes dislikes about current turbo configuration ect.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Is 650 your max? I’d go with a 62mm Borg Warner

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is 650 your max? I’d go with a 62mm Borg Warner
I'm thinking 650whp would be where i would want to be for a year or 2. i am looking for something that can spool quick to on the street. and specific configurations you recommend?

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you'd like a little extra head room with still quick spool I'd go Borg Warner SXE-364. 64MM compressor. They have two turbine wheel sizes not sure what would be better for you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you'd like a little extra head room with still quick spool I'd go Borg Warner SXE-364. 64MM compressor. They have two turbine wheel sizes not sure what would be better for you.
not horribly priced and great reviews on that turbo. head room for up to 875hp.. nice

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
You are good to go with the Motec haha. My supra is getting a M150 this winter, will be my second car with a M1 unit, absolutely love the Motec software!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Running a older 64mm borg warner here. Its a jdm 6 speed car. Put down 680whp 620wtq mustany dyno in 4th gear at about 28lbs boost on e85. Makes full boost around 4200rpm

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Running a older 64mm borg warner here. Its a jdm 6 speed car. Put down 680whp 620wtq mustany dyno in 4th gear at about 28lbs boost on e85. Makes full boost around 4200rpm
wow!! This is what i was looking for. 4200rpm full boost! pretty much made my decision there lol! nice numbers.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
A 2 step or Anti lag system?
A 2 step is nothing that will help with turbo spool directly. It just allows for a 2nd rev limiter.
ALS on the other hand will spool the turbo AT THE COST OF THE TURBO.
Meaning that if you are going to be popping to keep the turbo spooled up, think about it this way, that energy can propel 3000+ lbs of metal forward, what do you think it will do to that tiny turbine wheel in comparison?

yes, what that means is that the turbo becomes like spark plugs, expect to change it out regularly.

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
John's software will do either 2-step or anti-lag. I know as I've setup both accordingly.

Anti-lag I believe also can impact the valves and valve seats in addition to the turbo from excess use. Use caution when you just want to throw flames just to say you can.

Reactions: mkivsoopratt

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
John's software will do either 2-step or anti-lag. I know as I've setup both accordingly.

Anti-lag I believe also can impact the valves and valve seats in addition to the turbo from excess use. Use caution when you just want to throw flames just to say you can.
i sent you a PM.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Personally, I want the widest powerband I can get, that will meet a particular power peak. I've found that a turbo that gives me a 1000 rpm window of extra torque down low is WAY more fun than a turbo that gives me an extra 10% power, all up top. Sounds like you might appreciate a similar setup.

In your case, might I suggest a Garrett G30-900? Should give you plenty of head room, but still likely to spool up nicely. The G25-660 I'm running spools like stock twins, yet puts down power levels well into the 400's on only ~20 psi and a conservative tune on 91 octane. Now, a caveat, make sure to do your homework. I'm a fan of more power everywhere than "oooh, look at my big numbers" but if you're chasing horsepower for the sake of horsepower, you might look to step up to a G35 variant.

Those things are getting silly these days, you can now put out the sort of power that it used to take a T88-34D with something about the size of a T66... I couldn't be happier. =)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Personally, I want the widest powerband I can get, that will meet a particular power peak. I've found that a turbo that gives me a 1000 rpm window of extra torque down low is WAY more fun than a turbo that gives me an extra 10% power, all up top. Sounds like you might appreciate a similar setup.

In your case, might I suggest a Garrett G30-900? Should give you plenty of head room, but still likely to spool up nicely. The G25-660 I'm running spools like stock twins, yet puts down power levels well into the 400's on only ~20 psi and a conservative tune on 91 octane. Now, a caveat, make sure to do your homework. I'm a fan of more power everywhere than "oooh, look at my big numbers" but if you're chasing horsepower for the sake of horsepower, you might look to step up to a G35 variant.

Those things are getting silly these days, you can now put out the sort of power that it used to take a T88-34D with something about the size of a T66... I couldn't be happier. =)
Yeah I was looking at those as well. My current set up is an old (2006 found the paperwork from previous owners) boost logic T67. I’m making 480 on 18lbs of boost. I like the spool at 4200rpm is full boost similar to the guy that suggest the borg sxe364. Def want head room but I like you prefer the quicker spool and overall top end isn’t the end all be all for me

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Those Garrett g series look so good. If I ever give up my s366 it will be for one of those. I don’t have a v band manifold though

1 - 20 of 34 Posts