Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a Jack Stand and I was wondering 2 ton Jack Stand is enough for MKIV. :)
And, is Powerlift good brand to get?

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
um dont get them cheapo ones they sell at kmart and stuff! or pepbpys ..remember your life is under that car and if they give all you get is money back and a crushed chest best to invest in really good ones!3tons or more!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well not sure about the exact weight of a supra and if you are planning on just holding up one side of your car then 2000lbs should be efficient because im guessing your car would be somewhere in the 3000lb ballpark.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't bother with just 2. Buy 2 pairs (4 total). When working under the car, put the whole car up on jack stands. This distributes the weight onto all 4 stands. I have no idea if the rating is 2k lbs EACH, or per pair. In either case, make sure it's got some heft to it (thick legs and post, and especially the locking mechanism). I believe it's 2k lbs per pair, so having 4 should be safe since the car's weight will be evenly distributed (assuming you're on level ground).

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
well if you have the money get the snap on ones !

·
Defender of the Universe
463 Posts
guys i dont know anything about jacks really but if you are talking about 2 tons that is 4000lbs, not 2000, a ton is 2000 lbs...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whatever you get, invest in a pair of jack stands. After I jack-up my car, I put these in place for extra protection. Fuck, that's my life under those jacks. I don't trust hydraulics with my life, so I used the jack stands.

·
Very Senior Member
9,951 Posts
1. the rating is several times what the stand could actually hold (safety factor)
2. get at least two stands (can work front or back; or either side)
3. empty MKIV weighs about 3500 lbs
4. never get under a vehicle without stands, i.e., only on jack. (Actually, a screw jack is pretty safe).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts