Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is your First & Last name: Douglas Pelsor
What is your Phone Number - PM
What is your Email: [email protected]
What is your City: Dublin
What is your State: OH
What is your Zipcode: 43017

All,

I am switching to a wider rear tire so I figured I would offer these. They are still currently on my car and have ~4k miles on them.

The tread remaining is right close to 6/32". New was at 10/32"
(2) Michelin Pilot Super Sports 285/35R18
Specs:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport&partnum=835YR8PSSXL

Bought New in Mar'13 with my current wheels.

Pics:
IMG_1957
IMG_1956
IMG_1958

New these go for $300 each ($600 plus shipping) from TireRack.com.

I will let these go for $320 shipped to Cont' US.

DP

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,549 Posts
Possibly interested. Can you post some pictures of the tread and sidewalls on both tires? Current tread depth measurement? What kind of use have they had (street, drag, road course, grocery store, etc.)? Is the 4k miles from a year and a half ago, or is that current?

·
Registered
596 Posts
If any of you gets a chance could you possibly shoot a pic of the sidewall with a measuring tape or give me some approximate measurements of the sidewall height please, i'm really curious about the sidewall height on this size tire.

much appreciated!

marc

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,549 Posts
If any of you gets a chance could you possibly shoot a pic of the sidewall with a measuring tape or give me some approximate measurements of the sidewall height please, i'm really curious about the sidewall height on this size tire.
According to TireRack, the diameter of a 285/35ZR18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire is 25.9" when measured on a reference 10" wide wheel. 25.9" - 18" (wheel diameter) = 7.9", which you would then divide by 2 to get one sidewall measurement (from wheel rim to top of tread), which is 3.95 inches.

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pics added.

DP

·
Super Moderator
10,496 Posts

much appreciated!

marc
According to TireRack, the diameter of a 285/35ZR18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire is 25.9" when measured on a reference 10" wide wheel. 25.9" - 18" (wheel diameter) = 7.9", which you would then divide by 2 to get one sidewall measurement (from wheel rim to top of tread), which is 3.95 inches.
Actually, the more precise way to measure sidewall is as follows: 285 mm (tire width in mm) x 35% (aspect ratio) = 99.75 mm divided by 25.4 (to convert to inches) = 3.92 inches. Not much different result but, with wheel/tire/fender/suspension interfaces closer than ever on many cars, even hundredths of an inch can matter.

Ken.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,549 Posts
^ Ken, I agree that your formula should be accurate, but I'm not sure that the 35% is always exactly precise for all nnn/35/R18 tires. It's easy to find 2 different 285/35ZR18 tires on TireRack that have different total diameters. They won't both be 3.92 inches (nor 3.95 inches). The diameter formula I listed should be more precise for each individual model of tire. Admittedly, we're talking about splittling hairs here.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
Actually, the more precise way to measure sidewall is as follows: 285 mm (tire width in mm) x 35% (aspect ratio) = 99.75 mm divided by 25.4 (to convert to inches) = 3.92 inches. Not much different result but, with wheel/tire/fender/suspension interfaces closer than ever on many cars, even hundredths of an inch can matter.

Ken.
^ Ken, I agree that your formula should be accurate, but I'm not sure that the 35% is always exactly precise for all nnn/35/R18 tires. It's easy to find 2 different 285/35ZR18 tires on TireRack that have different total diameters. They won't both be 3.92 inches (nor 3.95 inches). The diameter formula I listed should be more precise for each individual model of tire. Admittedly, we're talking about splittling hairs here.
Both are estimates - I assume the 35 profile means it is probably between 34.5% and 35.5%. Looking up the actual number is best when available.

Of course, then you have to factor in tire pressure, et al, blah, blah, blah...! ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,496 Posts

Makes sense and points well taken. Thanks for the different perspective as the methodology you recommended is not something I had previously considered.

Ken.

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bump. Tires are removed from the wheels.

DP

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bump... Anyone need these?

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,549 Posts
What kind of use have they had (street, drag, road course, grocery store, etc.)?

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Street and daily driving. I removed them when this was posted originally since I'm runnning R888s.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts