Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

· Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay...I need help

I bought a OS giken quad disk. Somebody needs to explain these symptoms to me...

First of all I have a brand new master slave with dot 4 fluid. WHEN THE CAR IS NOT RUNNING, the clutch pedal feels GREAT, engages and depresses very nicely.

AS SOON AS I START THE CAR and push in the clutch its a WHOLE different ballgame...it feels spongy and sticky and if I push the pedal to the floor, it comes up a little bit, then sticks, then comes up a bit more, then sticks, and so on. Its very sticky and feels VERY awkward.

I've contacted OS giken, they're not sure what it is causing this.

I dont want this to go into OS giken related...has anybody ever heard of this happening first of all? I need some suggestions here.

The car drove fine for 100 miles, then all of a sudden at a stop light the pedal pressure feels spongy and sticky and from then on...its been shit. I pulled the trans tonight, didnt see anything unusual...

· Glad to be back
3,478 Posts
Well if you don't see any brake fluid leaking anywhere and the pull to push conversion was installed correctly then perhaps you had air in the lines.

Maybe your new master and slave wasn't bled all the way??
Thats what I was going to suggest as well. Sounds like maybe there is air stuck in the line somewhere. Have you tried a power brake bleeder? I've had pretty good experiance out of them.

2,739 Posts
It sounds to me that you installed the pull to push conversion wrong, but then again it worked for 100 miles.

Did you do anything to the clutch setup between those first 100 miles? If so, Id start there.

· EchoDeDupra
7,159 Posts
I'd take this opportunity to upgrade to a Stainless Steel Clutch line if you haven't already done so, then completely bleed the system and report back.

· Con CaC May
878 Posts
You have to lube the spline of the input shaft and the pilot shaft . Ford had this problem a while back on their cars when thay didnt put enough grease, the clutche disc would bind and freeze on the input shaft. Lube all moving or pivoit parts. Just dont get grease on the disc/plate surface.

Tin

· Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
No grease was put on the input shaft no. Throwout bearing is brand new. This kit only has 100 total miles on this.

I put a brand new master slave in last night and got ALL the air out

BUT MY QUESTION IS if its air in the lines...why does the clutch feel good when the car is OFF? THE ENGINE and hydraulic system are not correlated, thus, if there was air in the system, the clutch would feel like crap all the time wouldnt it?

Like I stated, the clutch feels PERFECT when the car is NOT running.

And when it worked for the 100 miles, I CHANGED NOTHING in between. All of a sudden at a stoplight the clutch started feeling awkward and sticky/spongy

· Registered
552 Posts
Get a steel braided clutch line. Unhook the cater pin that connects the slave cylinder to the clutch pedal. Turn the Slave cylinder rod all the way out. This will allow you to have more pedal sway. Effectively allowing you to get more movement on the TOB. Re-bleed entire system and report back!

· Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You have plenty of people coming to your aid. NO need to demand someone explaining anything to you. Take our advice or don't, but at least be grateful.
what? I didnt say i wasnt grateful...I was just asking a simple question as to IF it is in fact air in the lines, the clutch should feel like crap the entire time correct? not just when the car is running

· Premium Member
4,037 Posts
You have to lube the spline of the input shaft and the pilot shaft . Ford had this problem a while back on their cars when thay didnt put enough grease, the clutche disc would bind and freeze on the input shaft. Lube all moving or pivoit parts. Just dont get grease on the disc/plate surface.

Tin
that t/o bearing looks old,did you put some grease on the shaft?
:iwdumbass

· Registered
928 Posts
I've got almost the exact same system in my car, an r3c with the push comversion that I installed myself. Can't imaging it got screwed up, fairly simple install. I cannot think how the engine running makes a difference, just means everything is spinning in there, could that effect how the throwout would contact the pp? I dont think so, unless your flywheel bolts where loose but you said everything works so thats unlikely. I used the stock slave cylinder and fabbed a new adjustable rod from a hardened bolt with locking nuts to adjust length, gives better pedal travel control, and was is bled same as stock, I would say bleed bleed bleed, has to be the problem.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.