141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'll stick with 18's

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 19x10.5 in the front and 20x12.5 in the back on a TRD widebody with all wheel liners and everything and no rub issues. To me the 19 in the front and 20 in the back is a good look

·
Registered
94 Supra TT
2,167 Posts
so many people pretending like they know what putting a 20" tire on the supra does.... I chose to go with 20" volks, and they look amazing, hook as well as any 18" i've had (except drag radials) and ride great.... Carhas been lowered a bit since that photo was taken, and centercaps installed. 20x10.5 rear, 20x9.5 front...

ZMW, yours is the closest I've come to liking a set of 20's on a Supra. Maybe because your rim choice doesn't exaggerate the apparent size of the rim like others' do. I think a lot of people associate grip for launching with sidewall flex like how it works with dedicated bias ply drag tires. I don't think they always realize that street radials are not meant to crumple on a take off for grip in the same manner so grip shouldn't be affected much at all.

I would have to argue though that making a larger rim places more of the weight of the rim towards the outer radius and, heavier or not, increases the inertia as a result. This isn't an opinion of course; it's physics. So more inertia to overcome on acceleration, more angular momentum you have to stop when braking. You could argue this with a 19 vs an 18 and to some degree in other increments, but it's up to the owner I guess to draw his own line. Personally, I think 18-19's hit the spot between function and looks. 18 more for function over form (60/40), 19s vice versa (40/60 function/looks).

·
Super Moderator
10,649 Posts
I would have to argue though that making a larger rim places more of the weight of the rim towards the outer radius and, heavier or not, increases the inertia as a result. This isn't an opinion of course; it's physics. So more inertia to overcome on acceleration, more angular momentum you have to stop when braking. You could argue this with a 19 vs an 18 and to some degree in other increments, but it's up to the owner I guess to draw his own line. Personally, I think 18-19's hit the spot between function and looks. 18 more for function over form (60/40), 19s vice versa (40/60 function/looks).
Quoted for emphasis. It's physics.

xtoefield, 20s are not "required for a nice flush look". Take a look at Guilly's car (T66Dawg), for my money, the best looking TRD car in the country. He has 19 x 10s and 19 x 13s and his car has an unrivaled stance (in terms of TRD cars).

It's personal choice, of course, but enhanced performance can never be used as a basis for putting 20s on a MKIV Supra.

Ken.

·
Kwan Jul Sul Freak
928 Posts
Awesome thread gents. Thanks. I am looking to get another Supra and the one I am looking at has 20's on it. I am on the fence about them. Will post pics if I get it. Thanks.

·
Kwan Jul Sul Freak
928 Posts
Anyone looking for some 20's for their Supra. I may be looking to trade wheels/tires for some 19's or 18's. 18's would be a maybe, because of brake clearance. These are almost new Maya MRS 20". Tires are Toyo Proxes T1R's. have less than 1000 miles on them.
-No fender rolling required
-No rubbing even sitting lowered on Eibach springs.

Click on the thumbnails or PM me for higher res photos or questions.

IMG_2250-0001.jpg IMG_2252-0000.jpg

·
Bad Texan Boy
4,266 Posts
Who say 20" cannot handle power like 1,000 horsepower? Personally I think 20" wheels look good on Supra with wide body only.

Watch from 1:25 to 7:30

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
^ of course it's still a matter of taste but to me the 20's on a Supra, even the widebody, have of a caricature'ish look; exaggerated and not proportional to the overall look of the Supra. So to my eye, even if you can get traction it looks silly.

·
411 HP GSXR / 203 HP Vrod
1,947 Posts
20" wheels on the Supra are the perfect size to fill the fenderwell. I can't believe that in this day and age where EVERYTHING comes standard with big wheels people are still riding on 18's.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
^ of course it's still a matter of taste but to me the 20's on a Supra, even the widebody, have of a caricature'ish look; exaggerated and not proportional to the overall look of the Supra. So to my eye, even if you can get traction it looks silly.
Agree 100% Nick.

IMO, 20" wheels on a Supra, especially those that more stock-bodied look cartoonish.

19" wheels at most.

20" wheels on the Supra are the perfect size to fill the fenderwell. I can't believe that in this day and age where EVERYTHING comes standard with big wheels people are still riding on 18's.
^ LOL.........considering the Supra is a 16-21 year old car platform that came with 17" wheels stock in TT form and 16" in NA (with essentially the same body dimensions) your opinion of comparing wheel sizes with modern cars is odd IMO.

Cars have gotten progressively larger and heavier, requiring larger wheels to make them more functional and altogether better looking proportionately.

Look at the GT-R, which is a really large car in comparison to a Supra.

20" wheels look normal on a GT-R, but on the smaller Supra........:sad:

141 - 160 of 171 Posts