Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a gab about 150mm to 170mm between the intercooler pipe that goes from the intake to the pipe that connect to the intercooler because the intercooler pipes cannot reach each other
, can i just run a 200mm silicon hose on that gab, or do i have to find a 100mm pipe to put in between the hoses??

and how much it will expand if you drive with a boost pressure of maximum 1.5 bar? because i have the ac lines over there, and i know the pipes runs very close to the ac connectors there, so if it expand to much i am afraid it would make a hole in the silicon hose??

·
Registered
349 Posts
Depends on the diameter. Might be ok, maybe wrap it with some heat resistant tape where there might be contact. The best way is to always do custom piping and welding.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sorry, still early, read intake and thought it was mostly vacuum. If you are pushing air through it then you will not want to use a silicon band-aid to connect two pipes. Get an exhaust shop to fab up a piece of 3" al pipe to fill the space.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont understand why cant i use those silicon hoses? are they not build to pressure? you get a lot of them when you buy a intercooler kit??

it is this i am think on

·
Registered
349 Posts
Up to you. Depends on how much the pipes move and pressure. I'd rather have the least amount of silicon couplers used and just use them for engine movement vs chassis bolted things like intercooler. You mentioned another thing rubbing against it, and a regular pipe would be better there. Solid pipe is always best unless it is between the engine and a chassis bolted component.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The issue is that it sounds like it is on the compressor exhaust to the intercooler, where there is most pressure and heat on the intake side. This will cause the silicon to swell over time. You also mention a close proximity to another rigid line that could contact it. Use an aluminum pipe if this is the case. It's not rocket surgery.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The issue is that it sounds like it is on the compressor exhaust to the intercooler, where there is most pressure and heat on the intake side. This will cause the silicon to swell over time. You also mention a close proximity to another rigid line that could contact it. Use an aluminum pipe if this is the case. It's not rocket surgery.
No it is not on the exhaust side, but the intake side, the one pipe you see goes to the intake, and the other to the intercooler?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If you do decide to go with a silicone coupler, I would recommend you get one that is at least 4-ply, those are usually a stiff enough wall that expansion shouldn't present much of an issue, if any at all. Only downside is that they can be a bit harder to fit, so it can be a compromise either way.

Not sure about where you live, if a welded pipe is even an option. Where I live... it really isn't, unless I buy a TIG welder and learn the process. Plus, sometimes welded pipes can be made in such a way that removal can be difficult, if not impossible, if it is made in a certain way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts