I found a quad with a blown motor which was just perfect for me since I wanted to bore and stroke the motor to a 686 or 727.
I picked up this 01’ 660 for $500.00 and it came with 75% of a second motor. I got it back to a friends house until I could figure out how to tell my wife that I purchased a quad without talking to her about it, while in the middle of my GS300 build…
At this point I had been doing research for a few weeks and decided on which parts to go with.
The supporting mods for the original parts would require larger carbs and other supporting mods to make it reliable. Carbs are simple, but I look at them as difficult. Im an EFI and wiring guy.
I would rather hit the go button and… well… go.
My friends were trying to talk me into a streetbike conversion and I kept saying no.
While looking over the carcass at my buddies house we started to realize the quad had a bunch of aftermarket parts on it. Most of which I didn’t care for. A ghetto supertrapp muffler. A hydraulic clutch conversion… the bug hit me.
If I sell off all these crappy parts, and buy gaskets to build one good motor, I could sell the 660 motor and pay for some of the parts I would need for whatever direction I go.
My friends were sending me craigslist ads of other quads and streetbike motors...
I ended up looking as well...peer pressure is a biotch...found a guy parting out his race bikes/trailer etc. He had a spare motor from the previous season and wanted to clear everything out of the garage.
I assembled a stock motor, sold it for $400 within two days and used that money toward this impulse buy of the K7 gsxr 600 FI motor.
I didn’t want to do an R1 motor because I don’t feel that I need that much power on a quad.
Too much is almost enough you say… true story but not a necessity in this case.
Got the motor home and quickly realized there was zero hope of getting the motor to live in the frame without mods.
After deciding to fabricate a air box over the ITB’s I decided to reinstall the upper frame.
I sleeved the upper frame rails
At this point I needed to figure out wtf I was going to do with the lower frame.
The oil pan is so damn deep on the K6-K7 motors that I needed to build the chassis around the motor.
I broke the rule of removing the frame from the jig. Though on the same token, that’s partially what the jig is for, to be able to put everything back as it was. Which it did, all of the parts I had mocked up still fit perfectly after I reinstalled them.
Alex, no plans for FI....yet... that would have made the build easier due to laying out the exhaust/air box and intake.
This thing is plenty fast. I just have to gear it so I can hit some hills with more speed. Right now its gear so low all I do is spin 10 paddles.
Need some 12's even though I hate the way they look. Oh and yea, I love fab heavy builds as well. Thats my motivation for being a photo posting whore.