Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard conflicting reports of reliability on these cars. Some say it's rock solid, others don't. Porsche seems to rank well on JD Power.

We're talking about a car with 40-45k miles.

Opinions?

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if u can afford the maintenance on these then go for it...but for me, just regular maintenance items are too much for my budget.
I'd like to spend maybe $1500 a year on maintenance, not including tires.

Shit, I've already spent that much in the past year just keeping my Pathfinder going. :(

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
I daily drive my 01 C4. I'm run it from 50k miles up to it's current 80k. No MAJOR issues. I have had to replace the coilpacks (~$350), the alternator (~$300), and the rear main seal (~$25 parts, $775 labor) during that time of ownership (outside of normal maintenance). As others pointed out maintenance/repair items are more expensive, but if you do work yourself and don't rely on a dealer to take care of this stuff it's not a big deal.

Shawn

·
Registered
157 Posts
On any high end car I would recommend an extended warranty. Buy an 03 that is close to being out of warranty and extend it. The warranty pays for itself. I work at a Land Rover/Jaguar dealership and I would never own one unless it was under the 4/50k warranty or if I bought an extended warranty. Jag has one, and I believe Rover does to, that extend it to 100k.
EDIT: you would be surprised how many people buy the 03 Range Rover (first year of new body) for half of what it cost brand new and then when it needs front and rear brake pads and rotors ($1700-1800) or tires (aprox $1300) they can't afford anything. Also keep in mind that any 4-6 year old car will need a 60k service which on most high end cars ranges from $1000 and up.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Having had a Porsche 911 TT, NO WAY would I own a Porsche out of warranty, much less have one as a DD.

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
Awesome cars, but something to think about.

Plan on spending money. . I mean real money on parts . Whether it be replacements or upgrades.

Also if you plan to work on the car, make sure you are built like a 14yr old girl to get your hands in the engine bay.

My brother in laws 911 cost him something sick like +100$ each oil change to do himself. 2 Filter and like 10qts of oil. Dunno where it all goes, but its apparently got a big oiling system.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Awesome cars, but something to think about.

Plan on spending money. . I mean real money on parts . Whether it be replacements or upgrades.

Also if you plan to work on the car, make sure you are built like a 14yr old girl to get your hands in the engine bay.

My brother in laws 911 cost him something sick like +100$ each oil change to do himself. 2 Filter and like 10qts of oil. Dunno where it all goes, but its apparently got a big oiling system.
x2. one of our rover techs used to work for Porsche and I recall him saying the older porsche took like 15 quarts of oil!!!!!! Plenty of rover and jag oil changes are $100

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
Had one for 2 years. 2002 Carrera 4s 6 speed.

Oil changes and regular maintenence was as much as any other Iinfinity/Toyota/Lexus/Nissan.

People who have actually never had a Porsche tend to think they know what they are talking about by reading magazines.

The car was rock solid. Only had a gauge cluster replaced due to a faulty oil pressure gauge (warranty).

Other than that, the car has the reliability of any other great quality car.

-Jonathan

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
My father had one for 2 years. 2002 Carrera 4s 6 speed.

Oil changes and regular maintenance was as much as any other Infiniti/Toyota/Lexus/Nissan that I have heard others owned.

People who have actually never had a Porsche, like myself, tend to think they know what they are talking about by reading magazines or driving one once and while.

His car was rock solid. Only had a gauge cluster replaced due to a faulty oil pressure gauge (warranty).

Other than that, his car has the reliability of any other great quality car.

-Jonathan

Fixed.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
Most guys have overinflated issues with a car they have never owned. Let me address some of the things people didn't bring up important for all of the 911's from those years.

The most important thing you need to look at is the engine block itself, these car do use alot of oil and as a result an abnormal consumption rate will mask problems for a first time owner like yourself. On the early cars there was a small intermix and/or cracked cylinder issues with the 3.4L engines, depending on where you buy the car it should have already been taken care of.

Do not bother with a leak down test if the car is as low mileage as you say; if the linings were indeed cracked these engines like to make a hell of alot of noise. The problem with this particular motor is that the car will smoke and misfire regardless of if there is coolant in the car when a problem is present. You cannot assess a cracked block with a leakdown test because cracked blocks with damage near to the core plug are not inside of the cylinder. If the car has either problem it is safe to assume you do not need to do a leakdown because the problems have already gotten to a point were it is cost prohibitive to buy an abused model over another. This is your major concern if you do not buy the car from an enthusiast.

You will hear alot about RMS, I am sure you saw this on rennlist. The Rear Main Seal can fail on any Porsche within these years, I see it as a nuisance - others make a big fuss about nothing. If you look on the underside of the case and see anything leaking automatically assume you need to do some sort of RMS repair, if it is leaking to the floor do a complete RMS repair without thinking twice. Why? Well if your RMS is broken you will want it fixed, but if it is your intermediate shaft that is leaking you need that bitch fixed now. It is much more serious to have a leak here and will cost more money, especially if you let the problem get worse. An RMS leak ruins the seal preventing it from holding a seal again, and eventually leads to something big, or expensive, needing to be replaced.

If the oil consumption issues are bad enough it means your IMS and RMS have failed, if your are going to take out the transmission you might as well change the clutch too. Most people will not do this unless the car is losing alot of oil and hold off on the repair until it is a little worse. I don't have issues with someone doing this, but I feel it should be fixed the right way if you know there is a problem.
Be safe and ask if the RMS was repaired as soon as you check out a car, you will let the dealer know that you are well aware of the possibility the RMS will cause further engine maladies.

The coolant tank likes to split, and it leaks slowly, because of the nature of how the tank leaks it is usually too far gone to repair once you find a leak. You will need a new coolant tank in this case, it's a fairly common thing to find. I charge around $500 to put a new coolant tank in. Speaking of which Porsche also issued a new coolant tank cap that you should spring for to avoid any other simple problems from snowballing. Check the oil for coolant and the coolant for oil, this is covered under a service warranty if you do find there is a leak.

Off the top of my head you should allocate $500-$1000 for repairs or upkeep related to your front bushings wearing out or a creaking front suspension. This is not a repair issue to me as it is more of an upkeep matter, but it makes a really annoying little crunching noise and you will want to get it fixed.

One last thing, if you have a water pump leak, or suspect any problems with it's associated hardware, run away. Manbearpig is coming, and he wants your wallet. Everything else is either an upkeep issue, or very unlikely to happen to you. If you ask me though, an older Porsche is what you really want.:angel:

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts

·
6,137 Posts
Judy: my jealousy runs about the same for you as it does for goatse. Live in reality and not vicariously through your father. Moreover, that statement could never apply as well to anyone but yourself. Stop being jealous of you father's mediocre success and go make your own money and live your own life Heather, I guarantee you will be happier.

Mr. Wob
- Hungry and Happy

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
Judy: my jealousy runs about the same for you as it does for goatse. Live in reality and not vicariously through your father. Moreover, that statement could never apply as well to anyone but yourself. Stop being jealous of you father's mediocre success and go make your own money and live your own life Heather, I guarantee you will be happier.

Mr. Wob
- Hungry and Happy
Again I am left on the outside of what seems to be quite an amusing inside joke. You have a majority of the people reading this more confused than a blind deaf mute who is trying to yell bingo, who has bingo, but that does not actually own bingo.:lol:

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts

Mr. Wob
- Hungry and Happy
You could not be further from the truth. Your just an internet forum egomaniac.

I could care less about what you think you know about me or my family. Ignorance is your bliss. Someday you will trip while running with your internet scissors. :)

-J.M.

·
6,137 Posts
I guess your right. I'll go hang my internet head in shame - you sure showed me with your colorful analogies and mind bogglingly hyper-wrong pipe dream down syndrome knowledge of anything that has wheels, no scratch that, anything that moves, anything round that rolls frankly.

And I have no clue what running with internet scissors means, but if it means being a contributing member of a forum that tries to relay first hand experiences accurately and truthfully in order to better an automotive community and whom the poster also happens to be blindingly handsome and a dainty eater of fine finger foods, then yes you may be right. Since to be viciously truthful with you, if it meant anything but that, well I would just be shocked from the fabrication.

So do continue to post cars of your father's and saunter between who in fact is the rightful owner Post nonsensical information on cars you have only seen or sat in the passenger seat but diligently defend as having copious driving and ownership time. And please do not forget to shamelessly promote yourself as some type of jet set teen from Murfreesboro whose wild claims in the automotive world are only as funny as your deliciously funny analogies.

I don't have to worry about internet scissors Katie since I have nothing to represent but myself. And to be brutally honest, I couldn't be happier. I suggest you do a bit of reflecting - you have time and time again been caught in your own lies, circular reasoning and shelled logic. But since I know nothing of your family, please do show me a shred of proof that that you in fact owned a 2002 Carrera 4S 6 speed for two years. Or hell, I can just do a search and pick any one of these funny alternate realities out for you - prove one of them and I will make a public apology. My word is as good as stone.

Now on with the show. My apologies to mkiv808 - my bad playa :lol:

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
You have some SERIOUS issues man. Your just annoying!

P.S. Sorry you were not invited to Cal Turners Jr's. private porsche club meet this weekend. :hay:

-J.M.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.