Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this car off eBay a while back. Paid $750 for the seller to ship it and they never did. So I sent someone to pick the car up (cost $800+). The car looks pretty much like the pictures except someone(or the seller) had stolen the trunk lid/spoiler and shift knob. The transmission is also cracked which wasn't disclosed and to top it off I never got a refund for the shipping money I paid upfront. eBay did nothing... Square Trade did nothing but take my $100 for mediation, so I guess I have to file suit? Anyway, I'm just trying to recoup some of my investment. Can I get $10k out of it or would I be better off parting it out?

Car has scrapes on left rear body area. Some dents on the hood. The turbo / exhaust system was stolen along with the intercooler, intake and bumper cover. One of the wheels is also missing, no frame or suspension damage.

Also, I purchased a new oem head light and a used silver trunk with no wing. A low milage tranny will range from $800-$1,200.



Additional pics at http://www.dsmcars.com


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
It all depends on how much you paid for the car. Usually, selling the parts off will recoupe some of your money, but shipping will be a pain in the ass for big parts.

You can probably get $8000 for selling the Evo. If the rear quarter panel wasn't scraped up, I would say you get $10,000. You also have to remember that its a theft recovery car, not to many people in the market for that.

If it was me I would try to sell it as a whole car then parting it off. It would be a nice little project car. See how much each parts cost at the dealer and reduce the parts to a price where people would buy it, but you also have shipping. I think its a big headache trying to ship all these parts out. And if it gets damaged, you have buyers up your ass to get there money back.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,655 Posts
luke25 said:
I purchased this car off eBay a while back. Paid $750 for the seller to ship it and they never did. So I sent someone to pick the car up (cost $800+). The car looks pretty much like the pictures except someone(or the seller) had stolen the trunk lid/spoiler and shift knob. The transmission is also cracked which wasn't disclosed and to top it off I never got a refund for the shipping money I paid upfront. eBay did nothing... Square Trade did nothing but take my $100 for mediation, so I guess I have to file suit? Anyway, I'm just trying to recoup some of my investment. Can I get $10k out of it or would I be better off parting it out?

Car has scrapes on left rear body area. Some dents on the hood. The turbo / exhaust system was stolen along with the intercooler, intake and bumper cover. One of the wheels is also missing, no frame or suspension damage.

Also, I purchased a new oem head light and a used silver trunk with no wing. A low milage tranny will range from $800-$1,200.



Additional pics at http://www.dsmcars.com


Thanks.
There is nothing i hate more than hearing people get burned on ebay. here is my suggestion so take it for what its worth.

1) never make any kind of payment for a car sight unseen.

2) never pay the seller for shipping arrange shipping on your own and have the owner drop the car off at the shipping location

3) Never make full payment until the car is in your possession.



I buy and sell cars on ebay all the time. Depending on how strong your rating is will determine the specifics of the sale. I buy cars all the time and don't pay a dime until they arrive and have been mechanically inspected and the body is metered for consistency if its an out of state purchase. :)


I don't know what you paid for the car, but I would add the missing parts and try to recoup your money selling it as a complete car.


With that said, i think 10K is a more than reasonable price for somone looking for a project/track car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I gave $9,000 for the car... which I didn't think was too bad, if the tranny hadn't been damaged and parts stolen. Now I am in it for $9,000 + $750 (shipping not provided) + $800 (actual shipping costs) + $325 (head light) + $300 (trunk lid) = $11,175.

Thanks for the posts. I will probably take the route of selling as a whole. It would be a major headache parting it out and shipping the parts.

I need to learn your method of buying cars on eBay. I have purchased a few and everyone stresses needing the deposit within 24 hours and balance within 5 days or it will be relisted. Sounds like you have a good thing going there.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,655 Posts
luke25 said:
I need to learn your method of buying cars on eBay. I have purchased a few and everyone stresses needing the deposit within 24 hours and balance within 5 days or it will be relisted. Sounds like you have a good thing going there.
Your rating on relevant purchases or sales is key, shoot me a PM for anything specific. Sorry to hear you got burned man, try to dump that thing as soon as you can. You bought it so someone else will also, as there is a market for everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ball Bearing Supra said:
Your rating on relevant purchases or sales is key, shoot me a PM for anything specific. Sorry to hear you got burned man, try to dump that thing as soon as you can. You bought it so someone else will also, as there is a market for everything.
I am 100%, but only at a rating of 71. Mostly for purchases. I may drop you a PM on my next car purchase to get some insight on how I need to go about negotiating the transaction.

Thanks much.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,655 Posts
luke25 said:
I am 100%, but only at a rating of 71. Mostly for purchases. I may drop you a PM on my next car purchase to get some insight on how I need to go about negotiating the transaction.

Thanks much.
Perfect :coold:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Why not fix it. Sounds like you got a decent deal as long as the motor is still running. Getting the turbo exhaust and intercooler shouldn't be that much. You already have the trunk lid.
 

·
BOOBIES
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
I agree with everyone who's told you to fix it. You have a great starting point :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
buying the car for 9k is not a bad price. a new tranny shouldn't set you back that far as well as the other ancillary items you mentioned. granted the seller didn't disclose the other problematic issues with the car, but like everyone here says, you have a good starting point.
 

·
Homer Simpson
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
Part out the intire interior and build yourself a track car! AutoX RoadRace or Drag... Make that bitch as light as possible and run with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Since I haven't had any offers, I guess I don't have too much of a choice. By the time I find a buyer as-is I could probably have it on the road. I will try to source a tranny and if I don't have a buyer by then I guess it will become the new project car. It's not a 2jz-gte, but could be interesting.

Thanks again!
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top