G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
April 19 (Monday) Willow Springs Int'l Raceway
April 20 (Tuesday) Thunderhill
April 21 (Wednesday) Sears Point/Infineon
April 22 (Thursday) California Speedway
April 23 (Friday) Arizona Motosports Park

Have you ever wanted to be a part of a Formula One, World Challenge, or Le Mans team? Do you think you have what it takes to be competitive with some of the best drivers in North America over a week of non-stop motorsports decision-making and racing? Open Track Challenge (OTC) will put you to the test as we compress an entire season of racing and team strategy into one week.

The OTC Grand Prix (OTC GP) was designed to accomplish two things:

1. Provide a simulated racing season for the top club racers on the cusp of turning pro (a development program for the "Stars of Tomorrow", if you will.)
2. Incorporate the best practices of all the major motorsports programs around the world and put it in one endurance event.

The format for the The OTC GP calls for one practice, one qualifying session, and one race each day. The first four races will be 30-minute sprint races from a rolling start. The last day's race will be a 50-minute race from a standing start.

To compete in The OTC GP:

1. You must have a Competition License from a major sanctioning body (FIA, SCCA, IMSA, NASA, BMWCCA, PCA, etc.)
2. Your car must have a full roll cage as well as meet our other safety items. See Rules page for more information.
3. DOT-R or slicks required.
4. You must submit a driving resume to the Organizers evidencing a safe competition history.

OTC's Touring Challenge was designed to be the ultimate test of production vehicle competition. There are a number of magazine tests out there but they all sell the process short through some component of subjective criteria. Other motorsports venues that try to do the same, but lack the duration, environment, and sheer track time to fully distinguish a winner. Using our format, OTC Touring Challenge has become the benchmark in street car competition.

To compete in the Touring Challenge:

1. You must drive the car from track to track.
2. All track competition is on street tires with a treadwear rating of 140 or higher.
3. 3 sets of tires allowed for the week.

Each car will be given roughly two hours of track time at each venue to lay down its three best laps. Those three laps are then added together and your cumulative time is your score for that day. As soon as you have three laps that you are happy with, you are free to begin traveling to the next venue.

OTC's Unlimited Challenge was designed to be the ultimate test of the weekend track day participant. While the Touring Challenge is limited to road-going production vehicles, Unlimited Challenge opens the door to all closed-wheel vehicles and allows the competitor more resources to compete.

Competition in the Unlimited Challenge:

1. Cars may be trailered to each track.
2. Tire choice is open, DOT-R and slicks allowed.

Each car will be given roughly two hours of track time at each venue to lay down its three best laps. Those three laps are then added together and your cumulative time is your score for that day. As soon as you have three laps that you are happy with, you are free to begin traveling to the next venue

Visit www.opentrackchallenge.com for more information about the hottest motorsports series in North America.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
funny. I was getting ready to post something about this. I was going to ask who else was considering doing this. RSA Supra and I have been debating it ever since the Sport Compact Car USCC took place a couple months ago.

Even running touring will be expensive.
$2k event entry
$1k gas
$1.2k for 1 set of KD's (but to be competitive, you probably need more than one set...)
$1k food and lodging

And that is with a fully prepped car. Between the cage, single turbo and clutch and other misc things, we are easily looking at over $10k, if not $15.

Derek Wang (who was in it last year in his supra) will not be campaigning the Supra this year, but will be there.

Who else is considering this?

Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was never any doubt as to a memorial event for Paul. He was my best friend, my teammate, and this event will be unique in that all of his close friends will be together during the week to remember our times together with "the PMUM".

And, yes, Matt...just do it! :D

PS. You, too, Derek!

-BP
Chairman, OTC

·
Registered
87 Posts
Matt,

I hope I didn't give an impression that OTC wasn't worth every penny! We had spent a good amount of money for the event last year, and countless hours of prepration. But every minute of the event reminded us that it was all worth it. There is nothing like the feeling of getting up 7-8 mornings in a row and thinking - "all i have to do is go to the track today". The atmosphere was great, all of the competitors were super nice and helpful in person (some of their online personalities often suggest otherwise). Some very good drivers show up so there will surely be good competition. If nothing else, you will be surprised at how much your driving will improve after the week.

Plus if you're in California, it'll be even easier for you. BP has made a good effort in reducing costs a bit this year and made the schedule a bit easier to coordinate with work/life. 04 will be M-F so you really would only need to be away from the rest of your life for a week (travel on weekends). Plus the tracks look to be of a higher caliber this year.... I was hoping the route would be a little shorter, or that it would either start or end at a NOCAL track like TH or Sears, but I guess you can't always please everyone...

My co-driver Darren actually had some changes in life priorities for 04 so he will not be driving with me. So it's sorta back at square one for me again for '04. I have a few tenative options right now with a T1, a 2 T3 cars, but no one has really committed so I'm still looking around... :(

BP - I read some stuff from another forum about a possible U3 'spec' cup class. How is the outlook of this at the moment?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Derek -

If you were unclear as to the new rules, you don't need a co-driver. It might make more sense for you to have one, but we don't require it anymore.

With respect to the S2Ki cup, they're operating within U3 class but to their own tune. In doing so, they've relegated themselves to not being competitive to their other OTC competitors but will use the OTC format to duke it out in their own spec environment.

-BP

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
Derek-

You didn't scare me away. I knew it would be expensive before I emailed you. So from the classes you are looking at, it looks like you aren't thinking of running your supra again?

Ryan keeps sending pm's to stop being responsible and send in my money.

who needs a down payment on a house anyway?

Matt

·
Registered
87 Posts
BP- I am aware that no co-driver is needed. However, going w/o a co-driver would 1) take away some of the fun IMO, 2) Be super brutal when driving from Seattle to WS and from Arizona back to Seattle and everywhere in between, 3) cost twice as much.

One of my options would be the S2KI cup. It would reduce costs significantly due to the mod regulations while still having a chance of competiting for something (S2KI trophy). But on the flip side, my chances of winning something w/o having a big car advantage would be pretty slim anyway, especially with how competitive some of the S2KI drivers are. So this option is probably my least favorite at this point....

Matt - I have a friend who is considering running his Z06 in T1 but this is probably at a 30% probability right now and we're getting close to decision time. Another friend of mine is also interested in running possibly in an EVO 8, but at this point I wouldn't give it any more than a 65% chance.

I sold my Supra and although the new owner had contemplated OTC, it probably wouldn't be possible since he hasn't had any track days yet. So that leaves me with my current track car in the S2000, which I hadn't seriously considered until the introduction of the S2KI Cup which is somewhat of a spec series within U3 (minimal and restricted mods, spec tire, weight restriction). I'm sure if I go that route, I may be able to talk some of the local S2k guys into it (rules require drivers to be S2000 owners).

Send the money into BP! You get a discount it you do it this week! Plus then you can focus on getting the car ready instead of wondering if you should go. Besides, I went to OTC this year, and I was still able to buy a house this year and probably scrap enough money together to go in '04. It's just all about eating meals for under a dollar ;)

P.S. I still have my budget from '03 saved on my computer. If anyone is interested in seeing what we spent for the Supra, I can post it up on my site for download.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
yeah, I'd be interested in seeing it.

shoot it to me at -

[email protected]

Thanks,
Matt

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
shut up ryan. As soon as you promise to find me a wife as good as the one I have when this one leaves me over OTC...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Matt,

I just sent you a couple of Excel sheets. Please keep the '04 one to yourself. ;)

I'm about 85% sure/ready to send in the '04 registration fee. Just trying to finalize the numbers with my co-driver. But the car has been picked up/out. Got a couple of sponsors lined up. Just need to make sure the finances are fully settled then we are ready to pack our bags to go! Hope to see at least 1 Supra there! There has been one for every OTC so far, so someone needs to carry the torch to '04! :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll tell you guys what. Since you made my thread "sticky" and there's been so much discussion about the budget/costs of doing OTC from great guys like Derek, I'll drop $200 off the entry fee for the first Supra that enters OTC 2004.

Contact me at [email protected] if you are going to take advantage of this offer.

Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Matt,

You don't need any money to buy a house! (other than loan costs, which you can ask the seller to pay for you). There are a lot of 100% programs out there. Call me if you want more info. If your wife is for it, go have some fun racing! Hope you can participate!:D

·
Registered
265 Posts
OT Challenge said:
I'll tell you guys what. Since you made my thread "sticky" and there's been so much discussion about the budget/costs of doing OTC from great guys like Derek, I'll drop $200 off the entry fee for the first Supra that enters OTC 2004.

Contact me at [email protected] if you are going to take advantage of this offer.

Thanks, guys!
200US? Man, back in 2003 Spring that was like 1000$Canadian! =D Unfortunately, I can't make it this year, works ready to ship me off to some s&*thole in the middle of nowhere with 1 day off a week. OTC isn't cheap, but it's well worth the experience as derek has mentioned several times. I got a friggin car originally for running OTC with Derek sitting in the garage, trying to sell it since I can't run anymore.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey all,

It's been awhile since I've posted here because I sold my Supra awhile back. However, I just had to chime in to this thread!

I think alot of people are going about their prepping for the OTC all wrong (especially those who plan to compete in the touring class). When it comes to the supra, all you need to be competive in T2 is a set of coilovers and a set of decent tires. Even on stock rims, however you would be much better off with a set of CCW (or other 17/275&17/315) .

There is no need to install a big single, gut your interior, and/or install a cage. Ofcourse harnesses help too, and I wouldn't ever recommend a harness in a car without a rollbar/cage (especially a targa supra).. but you don't need a cage to compete (unless your in the GP class, but if your in that class you aren't reading this post anyway :)).

Due to various track types, this event *really* just comes down to driving and seat-time.

The costs don't have to be as high as what people are spending. You only need 1 set of tires assuming you don't drive between tracks on the same tires you run on the track. You wouldn't want to do this anyway because of the heat-cycles, even if the tires lasted pulling double duty. Hauling around the set of track wheels for a week is kind of a pain unless you have a tow vehicle, but there are *always* ways to do it. Almost any unlimited class car is going to be trailered, and if you ask nicely they will almost always let you throw your wheels in with their gear and haul them for you between tracks. Just buy them a pint or 3 after the event is over.

It's fun to bench race about the new hottest setup, but using that as a reason not to enter the event and give it a whirl is pretty bogus.

Anyway, I really hope some Supra's enter the event because they are one of the most competitive cars in their class. Not to mention, a full week of flogging your car on the track with good people? Even if your not going to win, God damn.. what could be better? :)

-mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts