Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking at STi's as a potential DD replacement for my GTI when it's out of warranty.

I test drove a 2006 STi and was pretty unimpressed. I'm sure it would be great with coilovers, but stock it just did not do it for me.

Has anyone driven the old and new? It seems very difficult to find a new one to test drive around here. Is it even worth looking into?

·
Administrator
17,234 Posts
The choice would seem to come down to bodystyle and whether or not you felt the 06/07 had a "nice enough" interior for a daily driver. The 08+ is only available in a 5 door hatchback in STI form, and the interior is quite different. Since you're currently driving a GTI, I'm guessing you won't mind the hatchback style. :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
sounds like you're asking if the handling for the 08+ has been improved...

i have extensive seat time in an 06 but not the 08, however from magazine reviews both chassis seem equally prone to understeer...the newer chassis subaurs just understeer. a fat rear sway bar/end links and a good set of coilovers with good alignment should help a lot though.

·
Old School Bruiser
298 Posts
I realize this does not contribute to your question, but if you are looking for an STi, have you considered an Evo?

·
Is it turbo? Is it stick?
4,557 Posts
The STi is pretty compliant but don't mistake that for poor handling... it actually grips very well, especially on imperfect roads (which is the Euro influenced philosophy for suspension from KW, Whiteline, etc.).
It is prone to understeer when stock, but the addition of an aftermarket rear swaybar and a performance alignment will remedy that.

The Evo is more precise in its handling, and has a rougher ride. It is well balanced and turns slightly better track times when compared to the STi, when both are in stock form.

As for the 08 STi specifically, I don't have experience with it. You can search in www.iwsti.com or www.nasioc.com to read up on them though if you want.

·
Oh Snaps
549 Posts
I DD an 06 STI. I've had it since new in November 05. It's got a few minor modifications: Cobb Stage II and a set of Ohlins coilovers. It handles very well yet is compliant enough to drive on rougher roads. I love the car, it's relatively practical and handles snow/ice like a champ. My only qualm with it is if you got big friends, they won't like sitting in the back seat for too long. But as far as driver comfort, it does very well getting me to school in the fall and back home in the summer (~600mile trip) with the contents of my dorm room in the car.

As far as the vehicle in stock form, I hope you've been in an STI with a turbo back exhaust and tune, cause it is totally different from the stock vehicle as far as power goes. The stock handling is pretty good for OE, however it's a bit harsh and you do experience some "bounce" going down the highway. Depending on finances, stock springs and a set of Ohlins fixed perch struts can be an amazing improvement to its ride quality. If you wish for a bit more performance and a lower ride height, you can always get a set of after market springs (Swift, RCE, etc).

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I realize this does not contribute to your question, but if you are looking for an STi, have you considered an Evo?
Yes, actually I'm considering the Evo X. The only downside being its gas mileage.

Not considering previous Evo's due to poor safety ratings and for being a little too raw for a DD. Although I have driven them and they are fun cars.

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you think the stock STi didn't do it, but you found the EVO too raw?...

:run: :run: :run:
Yeah, the STi felt really wallowy and the Evo's (pre-X) feel totally unrefined and too harsh to be a daily driver on our crappy roads.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
my sister has an 08 sti and i just took it to an autox this weekend. there was also a prev. gen sti there (not sure on the exact year). it was really wet the whole day, raining on and off, temp was around 45-50. my sister's sti is stock other than an aem intake and magnaflow catback exhaust (dyno'd at 282/270 on a dyno jet). it also has the heavier 5 spoke wheels (26lb ea iirc), not the light bbs's. I didn't really talk to the other guy about what he has done, but from what i got from one of his friends he has full suspension (coilovers, sways, braces...). he also has an exhaust. stock tires (bridgestone re070) mounted on enkei rpf1's. i'm not sure about anything else on the power side. his/our friend (excellent autox'r, had a podium finish at last years autox nationals on a BSP class 350z) said that my sister's 08 felt more a hair more powerfull.

the owner of the prev gen sti has much more experience than me, he's been autoxing for a few years, and this was my 4th event, second in the sti, first in the wet. the best time the prev gen managed by the owner was a 51.0x, the best time i managed on the 08 was a 50.9.

we both let our mutual previously mentioned friend drive our cars. I should add that he's driven the other guys sti many times before at autox's and this was his first time driving an 08 sti at all.

on this day, he had 2 runs in both of our cars (all spread out at randomly between 12-3pm). on the prev gen he ran 48.xx both times, the faster one being a 48.6x. first time out in the sti he ran a 49.xx, and the second time he ran a 48.06 setting the fastest time of the day.

i've never driven a prev gen sti, so i can't really compare the 2, but our fast autox'r said that the main reason he felt the 08 was quicker is cause the braking is much better, he said its much more controlled under braking, doesn't squirm at all, and just brakes damn good overall.

there was also an evo IX MR there, not sure on mods (didn't get a chance to talk to him), but he had an exhaust and looked lowered, but stock wheels and tires. his best was a 50.0x, but it wasn't driven by our resident hot shoe...

also, if you end up getting an 08, i'd really recommend getting an intake (my sister's has an aem cold air intake). it really made a night n day difference. on the stock intake, if you were to hit the gas from 2k rpm in 3rd, you'd get pushed back in your seat rather nicely as the turbo spools up, but as soon as you hit 5k it just stops pulling, you can feel the reduction in power. imo the aem intake really does gain the advertised 30 whp. She got the exhaust before the intake, and it didn't make a noticable difference in power imo. she wanted it mainly for the sound.

also, the sti doesn't get the greatest gas mileage. you mentioned that you didn't want the evo X cause of that. my sister average's about 21-22 mpg 65% city and/or traffic, and to goes down hill fast if you do "spirited" drives. i started the autox with a hair under half tank, after 17 runs it had a hair over 1/8 tank (the guage has tick marks every 1/8 tank). on a long highway trip (i've taken a couple) it gets about 25-27 depending on how you drive

if you have any specific questions, let me know and i'll do my best to answer them

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Too lazy to read everything else, but I think the year to shoot for on the Sti's is the '07 since they addressed the terribly short gearing.

I had an '05 with a 20g and bolt-ons and it was a ton of fun. I sold it because I wanted to get myself into something "more mature".

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Too lazy to read everything else, but I think the year to shoot for on the Sti's is the '07 since they addressed the terribly short gearing.

I had an '05 with a 20g and bolt-ons and it was a ton of fun. I sold it because I wanted to get myself into something "more mature".
07's have issues with the turbo's going out due to oil starvation... not sure if subaru ever addressed that, just an fyi

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
07's have issues with the turbo's going out due to oil starvation... not sure if subaru ever addressed that, just an fyi
Interesting... What changed from the '06 -> '07 model that caused this? Sounds like a good reason to get rid of the Vf-39 IMO :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Interesting... What changed from the '06 -> '07 model that caused this? Sounds like a good reason to get rid of the Vf-39 IMO :)
i believe it had to do something with a feed line or passage way to the turbo, not the turbo itself, i could be wrong though, i didn't pay to much attention to it

edit:

found it, looks like its an easy fix

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=Info_SubaruOil

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/subaru_oil/02-103-07.pdf

edit 2:
looks like it applies to all GD gen sti's, not just 07's

1 - 17 of 17 Posts