Discussion Starter #3
G said:
GM underates, Ford overates.
Underrated Ford cars from last 5 years
* 03 and 04 Cobra
* 01+ Ford Lightning
* 00 Cobra R
* 03 and 04 Mach 1
* 05 Ford GT (rumored to be underrated anyways)

They had one case of overrating back in 99 Cobra and that was due to a restrictive exhaust caused by some sort of defect i believe.

If anything, they "overrate" more often than most other manufacturers that comes to mind.

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
From what I have seen on bone stock dyno test, Ford is always right around to under the advertised power when you calculated in the drivetrain loss. But GM has historically from the 60s, 70s, 90s and in the 21st century has always underated thier hp numbers. Most recently with the new C6 Vettes. A good friend of mine just had his 05 dynoed with around 1000 miles on the odometer and put down 371rwhp in a completely stock engine, not even the air filter has been changed!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G said:
From what I have seen on bone stock dyno test, Ford is always right around to under the advertised power when you calculated in the drivetrain loss. But GM has historically from the 60s, 70s, 90s and in the 21st century has always underated thier hp numbers. Most recently with the new C6 Vettes. A good friend of mine just had his 05 dynoed with around 1000 miles on the odometer and put down 371rwhp in a completely stock engine, not even the air filter has been changed!
So people routinely dynoing 370rwhp+ with 03/04 Cobras advertised at 390 brake horsepower, that's irrelevant?

·
Registered
17 Posts
G said:
From what I have seen on bone stock dyno test, Ford is always right around to under the advertised power when you calculated in the drivetrain loss.

As stated above, Ford had the problems with the '99 Cobra. Most '03/'04 Cobras put down 360-370 at the wheels. This is common knowledge by now. This new Cobra mill is bigger (281ci vs. 330ci) and has a twin screw SC (like a KB) compared to the roots type on the '03/'04. This thing should put down at least 425 to wheels bone stock. That's being very conservative considering an '03/'04 can do that with a pulley change.

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
I haven't seen too many people dyno stock 05 Vettes yet, because it is so new and not to many people have them yet. But if you look in the couple of years with the LS1s/LS6s they do dyno more then the advertised hp that GM puts out when calculate in the drivetrain loss.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Any way you look at it, the Vettes were not even close to being as under-rated as the Cobras. Bah, who gives a damn anyway. If you don't think a 5.4 4V with a twin-screw SC can't make 450hp then there is no helping you.

·
Registered
44 Posts

BODY
Construction Unitized welded steel body, aluminum hood

ENGINE
Type V-8

Manufacturing location Romeo, Michigan
Configuration Iron Block and Aluminum Heads
Intake manifold Cast-aluminum with screw-type supercharger and air-to-water intercooler
Exhaust manifold Cast iron
Crankshaft Forged steel
Throttle body Dual 55 mm, electronic
Valvetrain DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Valve diameter Intake: 37.0 mm
Exhaust: 32.0 mm
Pistons Forged aluminum
Connecting rods Cracked forged steel I-beams
Ignition Coil-on-plug
Bore x stroke 3.552 x 4.165 in. / 90.22 x 105.8 mm
Displacement 330 cu. in. / 5,409 cc
Horsepower More than 450
Torque 450 lb.-ft

DRIVETRAIN

Layout Rear-wheel drive

TRANSMISSION

Standard (Type) T-56 6-speed manual

Gear ratios
1st 2.97
2nd 1.78
3rd 1.3
4th 1.0
5th .80
6th .63
Final drive 3.31

SUSPENSION

Front Reverse-L independent MacPherson strut, 34-mm tubular stabilizer bar
Rear Three-link solid axle with coil springs, Panhard rod, 24-mm solid stabilizer bar

BRAKES

Type Four wheel power disc
Front Brembo 14-inch vented and cross-drilled disc, four-piston aluminum calipers
Rear Brembo 13-inch vented and cross-drilled disc, two-piston calipers

TIRES AND WHEELS

P255/45R19 tires and 19 x 9.5-in machined aluminum wheels

EXTERIOR

Wheelbase 107.1 in.
Overall length 188 in.
Overall width 73.9 in.
Overall height 55.7 in.
Track width, front/rear 61.9 in. / 62.5 in.
Ground clearance 5.71 in.

INTERIOR

Seating capacity 4 passenger

Headroom
Front row 38.8 in.
Second Row 36.3 in.

Legroom
Front row 42.7 in.
Second row 30.3 in.

Shoulder room
Front row 55.4 in.
Second Row 45.0 in.

Hip room
Front row 53.6 in.
Second row 45.2 in.
Cargo Volume 9.7 cu. ft.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ i was hoping that was a typo. Even the 03/04 Cobra's have more meat (275's).

Some pics.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That thing would look good in black (no stripe) and black rims with a chrome polished lip.

I can see it now. :p

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nitron said:
That thing would look good in black (no stripe) and black rims with a chrome polished lip.

I can see it now. :p
That would be HOT!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
fordert said:
Better pics

http://racergarage.com/shelbyGT500/

The GT 500 rocks! Way to go Ford!!!!!

Check the last few pics as they show the GT 500 next to the GT and V6 models. The GT 500 looks very close to the original concept.
Nice pics. You are right on the front end looking very close to the concept car. I always wished Ford adopted that for the 05 mustang's. The no lights in the grille was a smart move to for the Cobra.

SupraLb, no weight specs yet, but i'm assuming it'll be on the porky side. Probably 3600-3700lbs like the current Cobra or even a bit more. Ford hasn't released final hp figures (other than more than 450hp) or weight figures yet. That iron block 5.4 sure doesn't help in the weight department though. That engine with the aluminum block weighed like 650-670lbs in the Ford GT. With the iron-block, it's probably a 700+lb motor easily. The previous gens blown iron-block 4.6 wasn't light either and is around 620-670lbs as well i believe. Them going back to a live axle for the Cobra probably sheds some weight off though. In the end, it probably will end up weighing around the same as the previous gen Cobra's 3600-3700lbs i'm thinkin.

Edit: According to the guy heading up SVT (and new mustangs) Thai-Tang, this Cobra will weigh 3,600lbs. As far as pricing, it's not finalized but they say it'll be under 40g's. Another thing that is not finalized is the final hp rating. The Tang guy said that it will have an output well north of 450hp and closer to 500hp!:eek:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Looks heavier than a semi!! I would like to see Ford make it look a bit meaner and leaner. No doubt it will be in the 3700-3800+ lb range too, way too much. Oh well, at least it has a stout motor to make up for it somewhat.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts