Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to give the Tundra a real test drive with a trailer loaded with a supra and full barrel of race gas. I figure that's about 7K-8K pounds. And we had 4 people in the cab when driving. The Tundra was the 5.7L engine, extended cab, tow package, backup camera, TRD off road package, 22 in TRD wheels and exhaust. We took a drive through the hills of cooper mountain and then on the highway. The Tundra pulled well although there seemed to be slight vibration or shudder in the drivetrain when I stepped on it. Torque on low end actually feels better than my F350. All towing was done with the shift mode set to towing which dwells a little longer in the higher RPMs when the engine is under load before upshifting. Gas mileage seemed to be a couple miles per gallon better than my F350 although I'd really need to run it for a longer period of time to get a good read. I don't think I would go with the 22 in knobby tires :D or the TRD exhaust (prefer the cab to be quiet when it's pulling hard). The interior is quieter than my F350, and with the stock exhaust would be much better. I actually spun the wheels from a standing start on a on ramp to the highway. I like the seating better than my F350 which is quite comfortable. I'd really like to know what was causing the vibration, or whether it is present on better and smaller street tires.

The current King: F350, V10, lariat, long bed, crew cab, dualie

The contender: 2007 Tundra

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
I enjoyed the ride.

Glad we checked how good my Supra was tied down in the trailer. I would have hated to see it come loose and come through the trailer and sitting up in the pickup bed if you would have had to make a fast stop...haha... It wasn't really as bad as I am making it sound as a couple of the straps were not quite as tight as they should have been

By the way we were celebrating Jimjr's birthday today. YE GADS he wis getting to be an old man (46...haha...)... The sad part of that is I am 30 years older than he is...haha...

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW, not to make it seem like the tundra was much better than my F350. For stability, it's hard to beat a long bed dualie. When I stepped on the SB tundra, I could feel the rear end getting squirlie. The new super duty Fords look very interesting with a 6.4 l diesel, sequential twin turbos (for good low end grunt), piezo electric injectors, and they meet tough emissions limits. I doubt the tundra can come close to the new generation of Ford SDs for hauling, but for a light duty truck it's definitely up to the task for pulling my trailer and the ride, braking, and cab are superb. I am looking for something like that because I also want to be able to drive it more often than my F350 so gas mileage, driveability, etc matter to me. I also like the Tundra's looks; I think Toyota got it spot on (although Ford SD still look great) as they have across each new model. The Toyota Camry looks better than the 3/5 series BMW in my opinion, even though it obviously took cues from them. Toyota is kicking butt, even in design.

·
Swing on deezz!!!
2,155 Posts
Some good input from someone that tows...thanks for the valuable information. I do see a Tundra in my driveway in the future. Thanks for the feedback Jim...they really are sticking it to their competitors these days. I believe their current success is a direct product of listening to their customer base. Oh...and Happy Birthday!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
BTW, not to make it seem like the tundra was much better than my F350. For stability, it's hard to beat a long bed dualie. When I stepped on the SB tundra, I could feel the rear end getting squirlie. The new super duty Fords look very interesting with a 6.4 l diesel, sequential twin turbos (for good low end grunt), piezo electric injectors, and they meet tough emissions limits. I doubt the tundra can come close to the new generation of Ford SDs for hauling, but for a light duty truck it's definitely up to the task for pulling my trailer and the ride, braking, and cab are superb. I am looking for something like that because I also want to be able to drive it more often than my F350 so gas mileage, driveability, etc matter to me. I also like the Tundra's looks; I think Toyota got it spot on (although Ford SD still look great) as they have across each new model. The Toyota Camry looks better than the 3/5 series BMW in my opinion, even though it obviously took cues from them. Toyota is kicking butt, even in design.
sweet truck looks like a limited model you got.i like how the back of the truck sits up with all that weight in the back..

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
Strippers for Jim on me............oh, you'll get your turn.

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you look closely though, it did drop the rear a couple inches. I have a full 55 gallon barrel of race gas sitting at the front of the trailer, so there's a bit of weight on the tongue.

sweet truck looks like a limited model you got.i like how the back of the truck sits up with all that weight in the back..

·
The new #1 Hardtopper
1,572 Posts
Yeah, in the pic of the trailer and the back of the truck it does look like its sagging more than I would expect. I would like to know what the tongue weight of your trailer in that pic.
Funny though I woke up yesterday wondering if you ended up getting one of these yet. Looks like you are close but not quite. It would definetly be a better "daily" truck than the dually and not quite as much of a tower for a trailer that big.
Thanks for the review,
Brian

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
Weird.....I had a dream about him tooo!

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The tundra has more power but about the same torque as the V10 in my F350 but you're right the F350 is better for towing the big rigs because it is absolutely rock stable due to the longer wheelbase and duallies. The rear end never wiggles during towing, whereas I could feel it in the shorter base Tundra I drove.

Yeah, in the pic of the trailer and the back of the truck it does look like its sagging more than I would expect. I would like to know what the tongue weight of your trailer in that pic.
Funny though I woke up yesterday wondering if you ended up getting one of these yet. Looks like you are close but not quite. It would definetly be a better "daily" truck than the dually and not quite as much of a tower for a trailer that big.
Thanks for the review,
Brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts