Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
With 8.0L or displacement it should be too hard to get. If 8.0L is how large it's going to be. Should put it in the same HP/L leauge as the Camry.

Sam

·
King of the Jungle
1,265 Posts
BPUKiller said:
With 8.0L or displacement it should be too hard to get. If 8.0L is how large it's going to be. Should put it in the same HP/L leauge as the Camry.

Sam
HP/L is retarded.

HP/lb. is what you are looking for ;)

Otherwise, the S2000 would be the coolest car ever made. Last time I checked, the S2000 is not. :p

·
Registered
605 Posts
BPUKiller said:

Sam
Stop it with that fucking ricer bullshit. Go drive a fucking Honda.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
The point is the Viper motor doesn't make as much power as it should based on displacement. Never has. I'm pretty sure in a recent test the LS7 dyno'd with more HP then the Viper and had only a little bit less tq. And it did that with a 1300 cc's less displacement and two less cylinders...

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,267 Posts
Whatever said:
The point is the Viper motor doesn't make as much power as it should based on displacement. Never has. I'm pretty sure in a recent test the LS7 dyno'd with more HP then the Viper and had only a little bit less tq. And it did that with a 1300 cc's less displacement and two less cylinders...
Now cylinders matter? 8 liter v20 then they should be in the 1500hp range, right? If HP/L was the driving factor than all motors would be turbo rotaries ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
An engine with a lower HP/liter is generally not on the edge...meaning there is more to be had from it with some mods. Also usually these cars have a very nice HP/Torque curve, making them very easy and friendly to drive. The car is a production car so its gotta be friendly. An S2000 making 240HP with a high HP/liter is fine for my granny to drive because with 240HP, you're not going to get into that much trouble. Say this viper had 1000+ HP, I think that might be a problem. Plus last time I checked nobody is really saying than 500-600hp with the same torque would make for a slow car.

·
King of the Jungle
1,265 Posts
That and anyone who says that 300hp out of a 4 banger is better than 300hp out of a V8 never took integrated calculus. Area under the curve people!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Supra SONIC said:
Now cylinders matter? 8 liter v20 then they should be in the 1500hp range, right? If HP/L was the driving factor than all motors would be turbo rotaries ;)
OK, take out the cylinder part and comment on the rest of my post. Based on displacement alone the viper should be putting out more HP. They don't even come close to pushing the full potential of the motor from the factory. I've never understood why such a big motor hasn't put out more power, and I believe the only reason it's gotten up to it's current HP number is because the competition has stepped up so much. I was hoping with Daimler on board that they would either have dropped the Viper and come out with a better overall car, or revamped the motor and pushed it closer to it's limits...

And I hear the area under the curve argument, and yes that is important. One thing to keep in mind however is these cars aren't made to be daily drivers so losing some low end grunt and gaining some high end horsepower is a good trade off considering a car spends most of it's time at the top of the RPM band when it's on a race track. Anyone who buys a viper to daily drive it and never takes it to a track is only worried about status and should of never bought one in the first place...

·
GM Interior Designer
658 Posts
I don't understand why the quality of a motor is being called into question when on another thread a modded one can be seen beating an F-16.

If all they have to do is turn the wick up a taste every four years by bumping compression, or changing the timing just to keep up with the Joneses, then I guess it doesn't really matter what the hp/liter or per pound or per cupholder is; as long as they are selling cars.

·
Champagne Papi
5,700 Posts
Vipers lost alot of respect over the past few months as everyone calls the Z06 the Viper killer. This is a sign that dodge is desperate to beat the Z06 with the viper. But the new supercharged blue devil will come back and rock it once more.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I hope they change its looks, because it's pretty ugly. Looks like a merc SLR...

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Killer.

·
Registered
362 Posts
!^3 said:
That and anyone who says that 300hp out of a 4 banger is better than 300hp out of a V8 never took integrated calculus. Area under the curve people!
Does integrated calculus exist.....I have heard of integral calculus however ;)

·
Registered
830 Posts
!^3 said:
HP/L is retarded.

HP/lb. is what you are looking for ;)

Otherwise, the S2000 would be the coolest car ever made. Last time I checked, the S2000 is not. :p
Nothing wrong with a S2000 if you want a compact 2-seat car. Hell I owned one at one time. I also had a MKIV that put over 100HP/cylinder. Trust me, the Viper is lesson in under achiever when it comes to the engine. I'd pick a nice small block V8 over the V10 in the viper any day and it doesn't sound like ass.

Sam

1 - 20 of 24 Posts