Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traditional heavy-duty SUVs have fallen out of favor in recent times with buyers heading towards smaller crossover-style soft-roaders in droves. Toyota, the manufacturer of one of the most popular off-road vehicles in the world, is sticking to the same basic formula for its latest Land Cruiser SUV. This means you can expect an affordable full-size SUV with off-road capability and Toyota’s trademark reliability.

These latest renderings reveal that the next-generation Land Cruiser will most likely grow in size and ride on a lower platform. It’s also rumored that Toyota engineers have developed a new air-suspension system for the new Cruiser, which should be able to raise and lower the vehicle automatically depending on driving conditions.

Toyota’s next Land Cruiser has been spotted in prototype form across the globe, with examples seen undergoing hot-weather testing down under and others seen along rocky outcrops in Eastern Europe. It’s expected to make its debut at the Tokyo Motor Show towards the end of the year with sales expected to start by the middle of next year.

New to the Land Cruiser range will be the addition of Toyota’s 5.7L V8 engine sourced from the Tundra pickup, which will also feature in the upcoming Lexus LX 570 SUV. The VVT-I equipped V8 will come with a six-speed automatic and is likely to develop close to 350hp. There could possibly be a smaller 4.5L V8 turbodiesel engine producing 203hp and 317lb-ft. of torque, with 90% of twist starting from just 1,200rpm. Follow the jump to see the renderings in full.

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
It is more rugged looking (which I like), the US spec will probably look a bit different though.

looks better then the LX570.

·
Cultured Development
319 Posts
car companies have really been letting me down lately on trying to make cars more "futuristic" idk maybe it will just have to grow on me...
of course.. i didnt like the new jetta but now the looks have grown on me.. esp the engine :agreed:

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
I actually liked the Jetta the first time I saw it, but then again it looks a lot like a Corolla which I already liked.

car companies have really been letting me down lately on trying to make cars more "futuristic" idk maybe it will just have to grow on me...
of course.. i didnt like the new jetta but now the looks have grown on me.. esp the engine :agreed:

·
Registered
73 Posts
It is more rugged looking (which I like), the US spec will probably look a bit different though.
I agree and can only hope the new LC does NOT look too much like the LX570. The LX570 exterior (esp the rear) dont do it for me, although the interior features and the new engine are nice. It looks like the the new LX/LC are a glorified Highlander/Forrester/Touareg combo on steroids.

Im sure the legendary status and off-road capability of the LC will continue, but it would be nice to include ruggedness in the "looks" department as well. I happen to like the boxiness of the 80/100-series trucks...not so sure on this latest restyle. I just picked up an 06 LC, so I dont expect to be looking for another Toyota truck for a LONG time :)

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
That looks ugly as hell! Rangie Sport is my fav looking SUV right now, followed by a SUT Hummer, black on black with some 26" rims:)

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
I'm with you on the RR, but the H2 SUT is perhaps the ugliest SUV ever built. And I actually like the way the regular H2 looks.

That looks ugly as hell! Rangie Sport is my fav looking SUV right now, followed by a SUT Hummer, black on black with some 26" rims:)

·
They giggle
1,935 Posts
Man, it looks so blaaaaand. :( In 2009, you'd figure they'd add some angles but leave the trademark look of it. Looks the same it looked years ago, with updated things here and there, but nothing big. The back reminds me of a VW.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts