Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

· Who's the Master?!
6,272 Posts
For easy reading:

Jalopnik said:
This is it. Thanks to an anonymous tipster we have what appear to be the very first and clearest shots yet procured of the 2009 LS9 6.2-liter V8 engine powering the 2009 Corvette ZR1 -- something we weren't expecting to see until the Detroit Auto Show in January. But, since information yearns to be free -- and whoa, nelly, do these shots show off some serious information on what will be the most serious piece of weaponry in the General's quiver come next year -- here they are and here's what we know. Essentially what you're looking at is what appears to be a standard twin-screw-type supercharger mounted below a highly efficient air-to-water intercooler system. Now, we can't speculate if it's tied into the engine system or if it has an independent radiator system -- but we feel pretty confident all of this is a one-off, which means the General's running the show on every single horsepower above and beyond the stock horse output from the 6.2-liter V8 it all sits atop. Gearheads, your engine pr0n awaits in the photogallery below. While you check that out we're going to go and hide from GM's shock troopers. Hey, does anyone know the number for the witness protection program?

· Registered
2,161 Posts
^Because you would have been first on the waiting list if they had used expensive plastics, right?
Exactly, and how was it determined that the plastics on the engine bay were cheap?

People can complain all they want, more ZR-1's for the rest of us.

The real question with all of this is how soon will someone figure out:
- can the LS9 blower bolt-on to an LS3? and whats required?
- How much does the OEM blower cost?
- the differences between the internals on the LS3 and LS9?
- How much boost will an LS3 take with the LS9 blower bolted on?
- Are there any issues with heat soak?

I suspect that the the crazy gas prices and upcoming emission standards are going to cause this performance market to freeze just like it did in the late 60's/early70's. Lets enjoy it while we can.

· Who's the Master?!
6,272 Posts
cheap plastics used to cover engine
:lol: I see your point, especially as that was one of the first things I noticed, but seriously? Would that stop you from buying one? I mean, I hate the Viper interior but that wouldn't stop me from buying one...I'd just have it rewrapped in leather and alcantara. :)

The car is going to be flat-out awesome. My one concern is definitely heat-soak though. Will this air-to-water intercooler system be enough to combat the enormous heat put out by the twin-screw over long periods of time? Like on the track? I'd like to think they ironed all of those issues out during testing, but that's almost never the case with factory blowers.

· Registered
18,343 Posts
Nice! Along with the base Corvette and Z06 this is car will surely be a great bang for the buck.:agreed: Who would have thought just a few years ago that you could get a ~650 HP car for ~$100K?

I hope they make the upgraded leather interior standard on this model!

· SF.com Member #0000000023
1,702 Posts
Can you imagine the BPU potential?....650~700rw?

-M

Nice! Along with the base Corvette and Z06 this is car will surely be a great bang for the buck.:agreed: Who would have thought just a few years ago that you could get a ~650 HP car for ~$100K?

I hope they make the upgraded leather interior standard on this model!

· Registered
18,343 Posts
Can you imagine the BPU potential?....650~700rw?

-M
Probably even higher than that!

But that's not best part of the deal to me. The best part is that the engine is built for boost so it will surely have boost friendly compression, strong internals, etc. So you can always ditch the SC and slap on some turbos:agreed:

Of course you will also see bigger SC's from the aftermarket that will bolt on, much like the Kenny Bell SC's for the Cobra and Ford GT, etc.

· Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
12,986 Posts

· Registered
712 Posts
Exactly, and how was it determined that the plastics on the engine bay were cheap?

People can complain all they want, more ZR-1's for the rest of us.

The real question with all of this is how soon will someone figure out:

How much will your overpriced $70k+ lifesize plastic model Corvette be worth a year or two after you buy it?
Fixed for truth.

No personal harm meant to Zishan, I was too lazy to type all the other stuff.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.