Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up to anyone seriously looking at this car.

Heres the link to the original ad - for sale 1994 White Twin Turbo auto 10K miles

I feel anyone asking that kind of money should be 100% upfront and honest with the vehicle. You're asking for
someones hard earned money, nearly a quarter million dollars but don't disclose the car while a well done swap, is a swap none the less and does not warrant original 6spd transmission money.

@Dharpatel is the member on here.

Car is an original auto TT car. Price it what you want, but don't mislead a serious unassuming buyer.

Buyer beware.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I noticed it was a 6 speed swap also and messaged him yesterday on eBay if it had the v160 swap. No response. Seems he’s keeping it unknown to any potential buyer.
If I didn’t know just enough about Supra’s, I would’ve assumed it was an original 6 speed.

·
Administrator
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He texted me last year asking what I thought about the car and value...I was honest. I messaged him today about not disclosing trans...he avoided the question.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,462 Posts
For the record, I did the swap. It’s fully documented in the “Builds” sub forum. I told the owner from day one, when he puts it up for sale it absolutely has to be disclosed that the car is swapped. It’s unfortunate that my advice (and Matt C.’s advice) was not taken but I hope in the event that if a truly interested buyer inquires it will be disclosed very early on. Best of luck. It’s still the nicest Supra I’ve ever seen.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That same car was on eBay last year for a bit less. Same seller I presume cause the background is the same. Very optimistic ask. For that price, it better be a factory-correct 6-speed hardtop in a cool ass color.

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,390 Posts
beautiful car, but it is very shady that there is no disclosure. I would hope someone willing to shell out 200k will at least run vin the google search.

·
Administrator
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That same car was on eBay last year for a bit less. Same seller I presume cause the background is the same. Very optimistic ask. For that price, it better be a factory-correct 6-speed hardtop in a cool ass color.
same car. Lets do the math of what its probably worth. Take a 10k Mile white auto, probably the lowest value color but in this market lets say its worth 75-80k, that means your valuing the swap at an additional 120-125k. I know the v160's are expensive but give me a break. I told him the car in the absolute best situation is worth 125k, and not sure how thats a bad thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wonder if he’ll think $125k is a low ball offer. It surpasses other original 6-speeds I’ve seen.
My full v160 swap cost me less than $15k. I’m interested to see if it sells.

·
Administrator
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He spent 125k including car and swap. So he can't sell for less then that. This was a purchase done purely to swap and sell but I don't think he had a good grasp of the market for these cars.

·
Super Moderator
10,676 Posts
And I think Matt's estimate of $125k is too high but I defer to his expertise in these matters.

First, I think the seller likely paid too much for the car when it was a low-mileage auto. Second, he had Patrick do a 100% factory conversion for, I'm guessing, in the $20k-$25k range, which is likely conservative on the low end.

The reason I say this is a friend of mine did the exact same thing many years ago when there was no such thing as discontinued parts for our cars. His work order showed a parts-only total of more than $15k which did NOT include the 220 mm factory 6MT LSD with the 3.13:1 ring and pinion.

So, it appears to me the seller's $200k asking price includes a premium purchase price for the car as an auto, the total cost of the 6MT conversion, including labor, and an unrealistic flipper's profit based on at least three flawed assumptions (value of low-mileage auto, increase in value caused my 6MT conversion, the 100% recovery of all modification costs). The failure to disclose the 6MT conversion is unfortunate, to say the least.

·
Administrator
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And I think Matt's estimate of $125k is too high but I defer to his expertise in these matters.

First, I think the seller likely paid too much for the car when it was a low-mileage auto. Second, he had Patrick do a 100% factory conversion for, I'm guessing, in the $20k-$25k range, which is likely conservative on the low end.

The reason I say this is a friend of mine did the exact same thing many years ago when there was no such thing as discontinued parts for our cars. His work order showed a parts-only total of more than $15k which did NOT include the 220 mm factory 6MT LSD with the 3.13:1 ring and pinion.

So, it appears to me the seller's $200k asking price includes a premium purchase price for the car as an auto, the total cost of the 6MT conversion, including labor, and an unrealistic flipper's profit based on at least three flawed assumptions (value of low-mileage auto, increase in value caused my 6MT conversion, the 100% recovery of all modification costs). The failure to disclose the 6MT conversion is unfortunate, to say the least.
A decent comp is the recent sale of one of peter blachs cars in the 135k range for a built original 10k mile ish real 6spd car but with significant mods. I believe Woon is now asking 150k or so for it...still doesn't make this car worth anywhere near that. I believe the car has paint work as well from an exploded battery caused by the seller as well.

I told Dhar the owner last year real money was 95-105k BEST scenario, well marketed, etc. Not a 1 sentance ebay ad.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Call me skeptical. I mean most of the guys who already hit on it like Jeff and Ken have said most of what needs to be said. If someone is willing to not disclose details like that to try and make top dollar it really makes me wonder if mileage etc is legit. Looking at the vehicle history reported the title has changed hands 3 times? 96, 2019 and again in 2020. Then there's a duplicate title reported on the vehicle history, which sure can be looked at as minor details. Again, maybe it's just me looking at it in too much detail, but if you can't trust someone to disclose something as simple as a transmission swap so they can try and drive up the price, what's to say when the title changed hands in 2019 that legit mileage was reported? ¯\(ツ)

Unless someone knows original owner. In which case ignore my rant.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,462 Posts
The mileage is legit.

Reactions: FasTTurbo

·
Registered
78 Posts
I went through every inch of that car. I’ve never seen anything like it. It was flawless.
Still, shitty move to present the car as if it's 100 percent factory. Not sure what the motivation is other than a dollar amount, but hopefully before someone buys it they come across these threads and at least get the full picture before pulling the trigger, especially at that price.

·
Registered
126 Posts
At first glance I thought it was this car:
I figured how many stupid low mileage 94 white TT autos could there be?

Also poor timing for the seller, there's a 94 white original V160/TT car (although modified) with 14k mi with a buy it now of $155k on ebay right now.

·
Smith & Wesson Member
640 Posts
Hopefully, if you're going to spend that kind of money. You would request a picture of the Vin Tag and see the limited important information on it. Not a V160 Car....

·
The Great Beast 666
508 Posts
not a V160 car or not I would still buy it and possibly donate it to a museum if they would display it, or keep it myself and only keep it as a show car. Though I do agree it is a bit shady/dishonest to not reveal that it was originally automatic. Though I dont think it would take away from how special this car is I think that is more of an ethical issue.

as usual gorgeous job @Patrick94TT

Reactions: FasTTurbo

·
...pop the hood!
1,075 Posts
he really doesnt give any details on the car itself....does not mention the trans other than the part that ebay requires to check a box to select manual. kinda reminds me of when i first saw the car for sale and little detail was given then and members had to ask for it. he said at the time he was new to selling/listing. still, something as noteworthy as a swap should def be posted.

here is a copy of his description on ebay incase things get changed/updated in the future...

1994 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo 10500 original miles. does not get any more nicer and original than this.
Vehicle was fully service with all fluids and new tire in 2020 and then put back in storage.
Only looking for serious offers. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to own automotive history. This is the most iconic car to come out of japan in the past 50 years.

Reactions: 95MKIVTT
1 - 20 of 34 Posts