Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
iSPOOL
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have roughly an hour to hear directly from the designers about the mid engine Corvette.
At 46:15 there's even a mention of the chatter the new Corvette has created on Supraforums and other sites:

·
iSPOOL
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heck yeah! I WILL eventually buy one!
Same here! I hope to be able to buy one in 2021 or 2022. I want to save up a good amount first since I expect to drop about $75k after all is said and done.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Totally awesome video. Perfectly explains the thought process and strive for perfection to make it a great car in every way imaginable. The fact that it's going to be affordable and exotic with performance to match? Just shows how lackluster Toyota's efforts really were on the Zupra....

·
iSPOOL
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Totally awesome video. Perfectly explains the thought process and strive for perfection to make it a great car in every way imaginable. The fact that it's going to be affordable and exotic with performance to match? Just shows how lackluster Toyota's efforts really were on the Zupra....
I can appreciate the transparency and detailed explanation of their approach and processes. There's other videos of presentations about the car. I haven't been this excited for a brand new car thats within my reach in my life lol.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
only thing I don't understand is why they gave it so much fender gap, thats always been a thing with vette's. I was hoping going mid engine and their whole "exotic appearance" thing they'd fix that. They're the ones making the fenders, just make the cutout closer to the tire.

·
Super Moderator
10,148 Posts
THIS is how it's done! I found the entire video to be highly educational in many respects, including the DCT discussion, the benefits of sitting on top of the center of gravity and the aero engineering. It's also a primer on what can happen when an auto manufacturer listens to its ownership base and its enthusiasts base.

I mean, compare this vid with the ones we've seen on the MKV. I can understand Toyota's reticence for doing such a vid because too much of the presentation would have necessarily involved the huge role played by BMW, as it would have been disastrous for a bunch of German-accented engineers addressing questions and comments from the Supra community. Even so, sending out a non-English speaking chief engineer to the company's largest, English-speaking market to talk about dual hood latches and MKIV owners blowing up their motors was just another in a continuing series of insults.

Ken.

·
iSPOOL
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THIS is how it's done! I found the entire video to be highly educational in many respects, including the DCT discussion, the benefits of sitting on top of the center of gravity and the aero engineering. It's also a primer on what can happen when an auto manufacturer listens to its ownership base and its enthusiasts base.

I mean, compare this vid with the ones we've seen on the MKV. I can understand Toyota's reticence for doing such a vid because too much of the presentation would have necessarily involved the huge role played by BMW, as it would have been disastrous for a bunch of German-accented engineers addressing questions and comments from the Supra community. Even so, sending out a non-English speaking chief engineer to the company's largest, English-speaking market to talk about dual hood latches and MKIV owners blowing up their motors was just another in a continuing series of insults.

Ken.

Also Ken I'm not sure if you've seen this today. Possible specs of all the engine platforms. Not sure if its 100% legit but looks believable based on wha the chatter has been.

·
Super Moderator
10,148 Posts
Also Ken I'm not sure if you've seen this today. Possible specs of all the engine platforms. Not sure if its 100% legit but looks believable based on wha the chatter has been.

Shady,

Thanks for posting. I had not seen that. I confess it's getting difficult to follow the C8's future power plant predictions, but I have confidence that big power is coming. From my view, I hope it takes the form of forced induction for the Z06, but that 5.5L V8 sounds like a bad as motor as well.

Also, the C8R vid definitely sounded like a flat crank motor to me. I think we can have confidence that the GM boys are not going to sit idly by and let some pesky GT 500s, Redeyes and Hellcats dust off its new Corvette. While GM does a great job of communicating with the Corvette community, I think it does not mind a bit of disinformation regarding the power of future C8s.

Ken.

·
iSPOOL
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also like how they developed a way to deaden in the in cabin noise of the AC whines etc from the accessory belt area being that it's riggt behind you while routing exhaust notes around to the window side of the driver so it can still be enjoyed.

Meanwhile, the BMW Zupra pumps in fake exhaust notes through the speakers...😑

·
...pop the hood!
807 Posts
I can appreciate the transparency and detailed explanation of their approach and processes. There's other videos of presentations about the car. I haven't been this excited for a brand new car thats within my reach in my life lol.
i was really excited about the "new supra" back when it was announced....

i reserved a spot at 2 dealers (just in case), waited years and put my mkiv project on hold to make sure i could afford to get a mkv when they came out because at the time it was thought to be north of $70.

sold my mkiii, mini truck and mustang...heck i even bought my wife a new trd sport tacoma so she would be a happy camper and wouldn't deny me a new car lol.

i defended the zupr4 at first, but when the 'leaks' about it really being more of a bwm, and recalling all the issues i had with my 05 z4 i lost my desire for it. here i am years later disappointed in toyotas lack of effort. i may have even finished my mkiv by now...

·
iSPOOL
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was really excited about the "new supra" back when it was announced....

i reserved a spot at 2 dealers (just in case), waited years and put my mkiv project on hold to make sure i could afford to get a mkv when they came out because at the time it was thought to be north of $70.

sold my mkiii, mini truck and mustang...heck i even bought my wife a new trd sport tacoma so she would be a happy camper and wouldn't deny me a new car lol.

i defended the zupr4 at first, but when the 'leaks' about it really being more of a bwm, and recalling all the issues i had with my 05 z4 i lost my desire for it. here i am years later disappointed in toyotas lack of effort. i may have even finished my mkiv by now...
Same here, after all final specs and presentation was finished on the Zupra I used the $10k I had for my Grannas 6 speed swap, that was going to be put towards the new Supra, as a down payment towards a 2nd 1998 Supra that my girlfriend wanted.

Now with the C8 presentation I'm hoping to save up $15k and trade in my C6 to make a dent in my purchase price of the new Corvette! I would love to keep my C6 because its a great reliable 6 speed car but theres no way I could justify having that many vehicles.

·
iSPOOL
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interior focus on Day 2 of 3.

Check out 44:38 😆😂

1 - 15 of 15 Posts