Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tuned their 2021 supra 3.0? I know the ECUs are locked but has anyone tuned after doing so. If so, what numbers??

·
Super Moderator
10,267 Posts
There were a few months of 2021 production that could be tuned - apparently the 2021 models with build dates of July-2020 and later have the new DME/ECU/PCM whatever that effectively resists tuning methods thus far. But 2021 models from March through May still have the previous unit that can be tuned.
Also important to note that if your DME/ECU/Whatever is replaced under warranty, it's replaced with a new non-tunable unit regardless of year or build date, which is a bummer for 2020 model owners that had their ECU replaced.

Performance gains from tuning the 2021 model were similar to the 2020, as the turbocharger itself is largely the same. It's the different exhaust manifold design that will present much less restriction to HP production for big ass 600+hp builds and the HP on the factory map that make the 2021 better.

Reactions: jdm-rhd

·
...pop the hood!
954 Posts
so much for the tuner/mod friendly platform tada promised

·
iSPOOL
1,418 Posts
Supposedly Titan has cracked a 2021 cars ECU.

·
Super Moderator
10,267 Posts
so much for the tuner/mod friendly platform tada promised
Toyota's just along for the BMW ride on this one. DME(ECU) changes are constant with BMW stuff and since the hardware is shared among all B58 powered cars, that's the life the MKV gets to live.
If we're being honest, the reason why we don't see twin turbo IS-F's and Tundras all over the place is because Toyota's bespoke ECU's are even harder to crack.

Supposedly Titan has cracked a 2021 cars ECU.
It was an April 2020 build date car, so MY 2021 but not a July 2020+ build date car that has the later updated Bosch DME that nobody has cracked. Word is that Berger and some other places have piggybacks that still work, apparently, but I haven't really dug into that.

A former Ford and BMW powertrain engineer I happened to meet through another hobby told me that BMW's best work is the first 6 months of the second model year. Just long enough to get all the first year bullshit sorted out, but before all the cost cutting and fuckery start happening. Seems in the MKV's case he was damn near exactly right. Seems a March-June 2020 build date car is the one to have.
Though I'm told the BMW world have seen this time and again and typically it's just a matter of time before BMW tuners find the next workaround.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Though I'm told the BMW world have seen this time and again and typically it's just a matter of time before BMW tuners find the next workaround.
I've learned to never discount software engineers when it comes to figuring out how to work with someone else's code. Some amazingly talented folks out there.

This was actually the biggest hurdle to LS conversions for ND Miatas, according to Flyin Miata. The mechanical stuff is simple, same as any other hot rod really, but getting all the CAN-BUS stuff to talk to one another without having a nervous breakdown... that's the tricky part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts