Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
JetFire
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the ISF is back, kind of :cool:. I find the naming convention a little confusing but at least they are putting the V8 back in the IS as an option which I find surprising. I'm curious what the price point will be.

• 5.0L V8 delivers 472 hp and 395 lb.-ft. of torque
  • Features include raised front hood, dark chrome window trim, and quad exhaust system
  • Exclusive 19-inch Enkei wheels and unique black F SPORT Performance badging
  • First Lexus model in the F SPORT Performance line
Source: 2022 LEXUS IS 500 F SPORT PERFORMANCE: THE IS SPORTS SEDAN, UNLEASHED - Lexus USA Newsroom

·
Super Moderator
10,610 Posts
Lexus' "F" and "F Sport" nomenclature has always been funky and indicative of, IMO, of the lack of long range performance car planning by the company. Be that as it may, I am very happy this car is coming to fruition as well as two stable mates, the LS-F and LC-F, which are both slated to share Lexus' new 4L twin-turbo V8 making 660 hp.

To be honest, I gave up thinking Lexus would make this move, but better late than never, I guess. Although, it's not clear yet, it appears Lexus will be substituting the "F Sport Performance Line" for its old "F" designation. I prefer the old designation, but not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Ken.

·
JetFire
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^ I'm with you Ken on being somewhat surprised that Lexus even put the 5.0 V8 in a new chassis. I lost faith in them doing anything new performance-wise. Last I knew that TTV8 was a no-go but who knows if that's true especially with this new change with the IS500. I'm surprised the TTV6 in the LS500 hasn't found it's way in a different chassis yet either.

·
Super Moderator
10,610 Posts
I wish Lexus Enthusiast had asked if the IS 500 F Sport Performance will be the top of the line for the IS or whether an IS-F is also in the future? I believe I read somewhere that the IS 500 and the LC-F and LS-F are the three high performance Lexi that are planned, but the official comment from Lexus uses the RC-F as the "F" car example when it has the same motor slated to go in the IS 500.

Is this just a glitch in the matrix representing an initial overlap until more product can be introduced, or is this all we can expect from the IS-series? According to the literature, the IS 500 has a bubble hood like the original IS-F, but it's hard to ascertain the meaning of it for the reasons noted.

Ken.

Reactions: IMAGINETHAT

·
599 Posts
I wish Lexus Enthusiast had asked if the IS 500 F Sport Performance will be the top of the line for the IS or whether an IS-F is also in the future? I believe I read somewhere that the IS 500 and the LC-F and LS-F are the three high performance Lexi that are planned, but the official comment from Lexus uses the RC-F as the "F" car example when it has the same motor slated to go in the IS 500.

Is this just a glitch in the matrix representing an initial overlap until more product can be introduced, or is this all we can expect from the IS-series? According to the literature, the IS 500 has a bubble hood like the original IS-F, but it's hard to ascertain the meaning of it for the reasons noted.

Ken.
As always, well said Ken. The F Sport Performance designation just muddies the water.

Lets hope a real IS-F is in the cards.

·
Boost Junkie
12,646 Posts
I'm happy they came out with this car as well. It's more refined than the IS-F was as far as ride quality, etc. Perhaps they didn't put the Brembos on there due to their experience with issues they dealt with from RC-F, GS-F, and LC500 owners complaining about brake noise, vibration, etc that comes with "race oriented" brakes. Also, the TVD is pretty expensive so that is why they are using the Torsen instead. My guess is maybe 10% of RC-F and GS-F owners actually utilize the TVD to it's fullest.

Steve

·
2JZ S13
2,212 Posts
I'm quite excited for this, I had a 2008 Is350 and loved it and always kicked myself for not getting an ISF, I currently have a 392 Charger and have been looking at used GSFs, but i love the way the new IS looks, so this might be my next purchase.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts