Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the road course being almost done I am looking into building something for it. I want it to be quick around the turns and turbo :) Supra is too big and would not want to risk it getting hit by some amateur in a corolla. This is the track they have http://www.etownraceway.com/main/roadcourse/index.htm

The course measures 1.35 miles with 40 foot wide roads over the entire course, except for the 1,400 foot straightaway that is 50 feet wide.

Which car would be better/easier to build and probable cheaper for the track, which would be more reliable and more fun? I'm scared that the RX7 would blow up on me and would cost too much to fix, but I love the way it looks. :scratch:

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Out of those two get the 240. It has a very Supra-like feel -- substantial.

Or drop an LS1 into an FD. :D

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quick said:
Out of those two get the 240. It has a very Supra-like feel -- substantial.

Or drop an LS1 into an FD. :D

Swap for LS1 would most likely cost too much, but would I love to do it! :) What year 240 would you say is good? Man, I would love to race the supra on that track, but I think it's just to small. What do you think?

·
Ex-hardtopper
1,920 Posts
I would try it in my Supra and probably will, just on an off night for practice. You're right, I'd be really pissed if I got hit by some amateur in a corolla. Looks to be pretty cool!!!

I'd go w/ the RX7, I just like the way they look better than the 240

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
having driven all sorts of things on track, if you are looking to build a serious track car, looks wouldn't be high on the list as serious track cars take a beating, and to me, modified for function, 99% of track cars can look bad ass. but here are a couple suggestions of what I would use:

Nissan Sentra SER
Honda CRX
Mazda Miata - which I think actually can look really nice if done right. But look a little "hairdresser"ish out of the box.
S13/S14 - only problem with them is everyone else who owns them. :lol: and they aren't cheap now because of popularity.
E36 M3
Boxster - you can find these pretty cheap now if you look. Great handling cars.
Integra type r
S2000 if the price is right

These would be my sub $20k pics...

·
Registered
65 Posts
2nd gen non-turbo Rx7s can be had for dirt cheap and from my understanding make excellent track cars. However if it were me, I'd choose the Miata.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Last gen RX-7=fragile motor. I would not get one for track work.
240 SX makes a good car. I would consider one if I gave up my CRX.

I have an 88 CRX with 195fwhp and weigh around 1950lbs. That is the same weight as a lotus but more hp. VERY fun and FAST car. Looking at the track you have posted it is not a hp track. The CRX would be pretty mean considering its weight. My car is stripped to nothing. About half the top part of the dash is left. That is it. No A/C. If you are serious about it build a dedicated track car you can wad up and not kill your wallet. If I was doing my CRX again (as in if I ever blow up my modded B18c JDM "R" engine) I would drop a K series engine in (it just will fit with some beating) and get about 220 or so fwhp which would make the car fly even faster.

Nissan SE-R can be wicked. Don't think FWD has to be a "plow" car. You set it up right it ass hangs more than most RWDs.

Barry H.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I used to track a 240sx... great car.

n

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Go with a 95+ 240sx. If you get the SE edition it already comes with 5 lugs instead of 4 which means you will have a larger wheel selection. The stock motor is very durable, but not much power. 300zx brakes swap right over, you just need to buy a set of converted brakes lines from 240 to 300z. you can run pretty large tires on them too. Power is the only drawback of the KA motor.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/120756211/1180367255053900082ytDqMQ

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
i don't know why i forgot to add this one to the list, but the plain wrx's used to be the shit on track until the evo and sti came out. you can get those for under $12k and they are pretty darn fast...

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
twinturbozs said:
Go with a 95+ 240sx. If you get the SE edition it already comes with 5 lugs instead of 4 which means you will have a larger wheel selection. The stock motor is very durable, but not much power. 300zx brakes swap right over, you just need to buy a set of converted brakes lines from 240 to 300z. you can run pretty large tires on them too. Power is the only drawback of the KA motor.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/120756211/1180367255053900082ytDqMQ

I can pick up a 97 SE from a auction for around 5 - 6K with around 70K miles. I think this will be the best car to get for this small track, do a swap and they can put down 400rwhp + :)

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thats a nice 240sx. Wow, the more I look at them, the more I like it. Get a white or black one :) But, what year to get? I'm thinking about 1997....

I also just found out that you can do the F50 Brembo brakes swap from STI :)
What do these cars weight? This car will be so much fun :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
turbomx5 said:
i don't know why i forgot to add this one to the list, but the plain wrx's used to be the shit on track until the evo and sti came out. you can get those for under $12k and they are pretty darn fast...
Unfortunatly, just about every used WRX I've seen has had the shit beaten out of it by some WRC Peter Solberg wannabe. Really. Almost everyone that hits our lot has frame damage, a burnt clutch, a dead tranny, or some combonation of the three.

Miata's, on the other hand... :)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
If you have strict smog enforcement, then a 95 or below would be your choice, since 96+ became OBD2. Consequently any sort of SR/RB swap further down the line could be a problem when it comes time for registration.

There are kits that allow you to use 350Z rotors (12.75") with the 300z calipers. I nice mild upgrade if you dont want to spend alot of money on brakes.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
twinturbozs said:
If you have strict smog enforcement, then a 95 or below would be your choice, since 96+ became OBD2. Consequently any sort of SR/RB swap further down the line could be a problem when it comes time for registration.

There are kits that allow you to use 350Z rotors (12.75") with the 300z calipers. I nice mild upgrade if you dont want to spend alot of money on brakes.
Smog is not a problem for me. Also The WRX/EVO Brakes are better then the 350Z

350Z have the F40 brakes, and WRX/EVO Brakes are F50.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thefrush said:
I think Miatas definitely have the looks potential on top of the performance potential. :coold:

This looks like a custom wide body? Nice looking Miata :) But it's just too small for me :(

Here are some swaps I could do for the 240 :) This could be so bad ass, if I dropped the weight to 2500 pounds :drool:

Nissan S15 SR20det - Blacktop
Engine, 6 Speed Transmission, ECU
$3250.00 + Shipping & Handling

Nissan RB25DET - Nissan Skyline GT-S R32 & R33
Engine, Transmission, ECU
$2500.00 + Shipping & Handling

Nissan RB26DETT - Nissan Skyline GTR R32 & R33
Engine, Hydraulic Transmission w/LSD, OBD2 ECU
$3750.00 + Shipping & Handling

1 - 20 of 50 Posts