Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1jz 264 cams and want to know if I should drop them in now or wait to go standalone. I have heard the stock cams work better with the stock ecu limits.
In other words will the 264 cams make a difference compared to the stock cams with my current set up? or is it a waste to drop them in since my rev limiter is at 7200 rpm?

My current set up is a stock soarer 5spd 1jz motor with a T70 .68, 720 inj- complete fuel system with blue emange. I recently tuned & dynoed at 26 psi making 542 rwhp on 104 gas and was hoping the cams could give me a little more?

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
yea you will gain some.. itd be worth it imo...

you might make peak power at right around the limiter though..

·
Registered
227 Posts
You should gain more. Give it a try and let us know how it works out. Where in FL are you located? Is this in a sc or a supra? Where did out get the cams and how much did they cost? I'm asking because i'm getting ready to do my 1j 5spd swap into my sc.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Yeah I'd drop them in, if you still have the chance I would try to look into doing a staggered setup with a smaller lift and duration cam on the EX side. Believe it or not it has been proven to increase and keep up velocity in the exhuast and will help out with spool.

But if you already have the 264's they will work fine for your setup, but the next mod you do should be raising the rev limit to gain access to where the cams will move you powerband.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I say go for it! But this time when you dyno, use C16 or VP fuel. You will be able to get more HP at the same boost level. Let the 1j do what it does best... REV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sadance:

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'd drop em in.. You should see pretty decent gains..But like others get the limiter raised.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Can you show us a dyno of before and after please. I know that larger cams are mainly to get increased top end but I am trying to think of ways to flatten the power curve ie. power from 4500rpm instead of 6000rpm.

·
Banned
280 Posts
aowe501 said:
I have 1jz 264 cams and want to know if I should drop them in now or wait to go standalone. I have heard the stock cams work better with the stock ecu limits.
In other words will the 264 cams make a difference compared to the stock cams with my current set up? or is it a waste to drop them in since my rev limiter is at 7200 rpm?

My current set up is a stock soarer 5spd 1jz motor with a T70 .68, 720 inj- complete fuel system with blue emange. I recently tuned & dynoed at 26 psi making 542 rwhp on 104 gas and was hoping the cams could give me a little more?

We have installed 264 cams on a stock 1jzgte with a FCD at 14 psi and from about 4K-7K it felt alot stronger (this was before we got the dyno so i cannot say how much more.)
with your current set up you sould see at least 50whp gain. BTW what kind of torque did you get at 26 psi?

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
jblaze said:
I say go for it! But this time when you dyno, use C16 or VP fuel. You will be able to get more HP at the same boost level. Let the 1j do what it does best... REV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sadance:

Higher octane fuel doesn't give you more power just because you put it in your car!

It just let's you run more boost to make more power.

No reason to run any higher octane than your car needs for your tune.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Tune for the gas that you run on the track/street. If you start knocking due to high EGT's...then use hi-octane. Running richer a/f ratios, retarding timing, running WI can all lower EGTs but only to a certain extent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts